Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2016 11:31:28 AM EDT
Anyone else experience this?

I have used some 147 grain here and there. Mainly testing defense loads and such. I plink away with 115 grain.

With the 115 grain I never have an issue.

However every once and awhile with the 147s I will get premature slide lock. Generally near the end of a magazine.

I cant decide if the tiny bit more recoil the 147s grainers produce is causing my support hand thumb to hit the dust cover of the slide release and locking it up during recoil. Or if perhaps the profile of the 147 grain rounds sometimes engage the slide stop during feeding. There is a slight copper rub on the nub of the slide stop inside the gun.

But I am also not ruling out simply getting lazy with my grip and my thumb hitting the dust cover.

Anyone else have this happen to you?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I normally shoot 147gr Bayou Bullets flat point, but these are loaded on the lighter side. 3.5gr. Bullseye if I recall.
I've had no issue with the slide locking back early.  This load is easy on the gun and is quite accurate from 2 BHPs and a FM M95 Detective.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Its pretty apparent this ended up being the issue.

Filed it down and I believe its fine now, but have yet to go and try some 147s through it.

During feeding the rounds could hit and push up the slide stop due to the 147s profile.

I hand stripped rounds, and generally when it would lock the gun open prematurely, near the end of a mag, it would bounce the SS all the way to the other side.

Im not sure why it was so far inward, it didn't need half of that material to engage the follower of the magazine.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Heard of similar issues with some CZ pistol slide locks.  Okay with the lighter (shorter) bullets but they had the same issue with heavier (longer) bullets.

Looks like you took care of it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heard of similar issues with some CZ pistol slide locks.  Okay with the lighter (shorter) bullets but they had the same issue with heavier (longer) bullets.

Looks like you took care of it.
View Quote

Honestly surprised it didn't cause more issues.

Oh well, live and learn.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, the OAL still has to work in the chamber but the 147's are "fatter" out near the front of the bullet.

When I read about that on the CZ Forum I got to looking at the slide stops on my CZs and noticed they were made different on the 9MM than on the .40 S&W.  The .40 S&W had more metal removed (where you removed metal on yours) than the 9MM slide stops did.  Not sure what the newer pistols are looking like.

Gives you a good feeling to figure out what's wrong and take care of it.  These days some folks are lost trying to change a flat tire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top