Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 12:57:56 PM EDT
This was my dad's- bought new in 1993 and put in the gun safe, where it has sat un-fired. I inherited it,  and plan on shooting and carrying it, perhaps.

I am looking for an inexpensive set of thin wood grips, and the only thing I can find are VZ grips... would like to spend about half or less than that- anyone have a recommendation? I would like to get a 'redwood' color if possible. Checkered or smooth...

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Have a set of these in Rosewood, very thin and less than $40.

Altamount
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Altamount
View Quote

oooh yeah!
I forgot about Altamont. I just ordered his thin checkered grips with the fleur-de lis on them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This was my dad's- bought new in 1993 and put in the gun safe, where it has sat un-fired. I inherited it,  and plan on shooting and carrying it, perhaps.

I am looking for an inexpensive set of thin wood grips, and the only thing I can find are VZ grips... would like to spend about half or less than that- anyone have a recommendation? I would like to get a 'redwood' color if possible. Checkered or smooth...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/kokopelli1500/Mobile%20Uploads/20151105_142504.jpg
View Quote

God bless your father for leaving you this beauty! So, 1993. That was first year of cast frames. Is yours cast or forged?  Also, I tried so many types/color of grips on my Practical. I settled for a pair of Uncle Mikes in black. Hopefully I can pull pictures up in a little while of mine. Again, thanks for sharing your story.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. I remember dad showing it to me when he bought it; then it went in the safe, which interestingly is a Browning safe...he passed away in November.
Cast frame. Date on the case is August 93.
I need one more mag with Pachmayr bottom, too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks. I remember dad showing it to me when he bought it; then it went in the safe, which interestingly is a Browning safe...he passed away in November.
I need one more mag with Pachmayer bottom, too.
View Quote

Bud's has the best price on those mags. I just ordered 2 the other day.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parkerized? Got a link?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I got the pics rotated, I was getting dizzy...

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Parkerized? Got a link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parkerized? Got a link?

Don't let the pic in the link throw you off. Bud's told me they were Parkerized, bumper pad, mouse trap spring OEM mags.

OEM Mag
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My HP does not have the mousetraps...but you can tell the case was molded for them...I'm not very well versed on FN/Browning- what's up with the spring assisted magazine; when were they oem to the guns, certain models?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#11]
If memory serves, and someone will correct hopefully, they became OEM in the early to mid 90's. The spring overcomes the issue of the mags not dropping free due to the magazine disconnect.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

oooh yeah!
I forgot about Altamont. I just ordered his thin checkered grips with the fleur-de lis on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Altamount

oooh yeah!

I had the same ones on my first hi power. They aren't very thin. Atleast compared to the VZ and Spegels I have now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I had the same ones on my first hi power. They aren't very thin. Atleast compared to the VZ and Spegels I have now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Altamount

oooh yeah!

Well crap.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice practical OP.  If I were you I'd just get some Mecgar Mags off gregcote.  Got mine there, way less spendy than Buds.

They have them for 20.95 a piece for blued 13 rounders.  The mousetraps are nice to overcome the mag safety but I just ditched my mag safety and my mags all drop free.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Not wood but thin.  I have the Navidrex Micarta grips on my MK3.  My examples fit well and feel great.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/browning-hi-power-combat-grips-prod9563.aspx?avs%7cMake~~Model_1=Browning__High+Power&avs%7cManufacturer_1=navidrex
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Altamount

oooh yeah!

Well crap.

I'd say they are fairly thin compared to the original wood offerings, but not Navidrek Micarta thin.  My specimen of one are flat with any palm type swell.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#17]
They're due to arrive today, so I'll get pics up. These are 'slim' grips according to the ad, and the pictures of the grips sure look slim, too. I did find online pics of d same design that were the thicker, original look grips they use to sell.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice Browning, I still have my dad's 1974 C model I inherited as well.  Too bad your dad didn't shoot it or carry it, but I'm sure it still brings back good memories, I know mine does.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They're due to arrive today, so I'll get pics up. These are 'slim' grips according to the ad, and the pictures of the grips sure look slim, too. I did find online pics of d same design that were the thicker, original look grips they use to sell.
View Quote

Look forward to the pictures!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Back to your OEM bumper pad mag, I received my mags from Bud's yesterday. They were indeed OEM mags in a Browning clam shell, parkerized with spring and bumper. FWIW
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, they are thin...not too sure about them yet, though. The left stock is a bit warped- it sticks out from the gun on the top-front edge...

anyone got a free shipping code for Brownell's?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Those are exactly what I want-

I'd say they are fairly thin compared to the original wood offerings, but not Navidrek Micarta thin.  My specimen of one are flat with any palm type swell.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/Tomb007/IMG_0428.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/Tomb007/IMG_0429.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Altamount

oooh yeah!

Well crap.

Those are exactly what I want-

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/Tomb007/IMG_0428.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/Tomb007/IMG_0429.jpg

Those are exactly what I want- they don't have them on the website anymore, though...
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#23]
...interesting- check out the link:

Handgun Grips

grips are identical to Altamont grips, and this company is in Altamont, IL....    Weird.
They show the smooth grips in stock, though. I might just order them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top