Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2016 12:03:05 AM EDT
I don't own a 380, but handled a Beretta 85 at a LGS and fell in love. Coles has numerous 84's and BDA's listed on gunbroker. For those that have experience with either, which would you choose. They are priced about the same. Yes, I know the BDA is made by Beretta, but it has slightly better lines than the 84. Oh, I hate these decisions. :)
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't own a 380, but handled a Beretta 85 at a LGS and fell in love. Coles has numerous 84's and BDA's listed on gunbroker. For those that have experience with either, which would you choose. They are priced about the same. Yes, I know the BDA is made by Beretta, but it has slightly better lines than the 84. Oh, I hate these decisions. :)
View Quote

<----own three BDA's

For looks.......the BDA.
It's blued, its pretty, it's marked PB, FN and Browning which is kinda neat.

For using/carry.....the 84.
Better front sight and a frame mounted safety.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I sold a BDA years ago to fund a 1911, regret. Never had any problems with it, even reloaded for it. I like the lines better but either is a good gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the Beretta more, but I've never actually fired the BDA.  Only reason is that I prefer the frame mounted safety.  You can find used Berettas much cheaper also, euro police trade-ins I believe.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Where did the Coles pistols originate?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where did the Coles pistols originate?
View Quote

Italy
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the gloss finished 84 without the finger grip trigger guard.
I bought it for my wife and she still prefers her Colt Diamondback in 38...
Nice looking gun but it just sits in the safe now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two Beretta 85's....I love them.  they fit my hand like a glove.  

yeah I know it is a .380...but love the 85F / 85FS safety.  smooth shooting .380.

OP..I would go with the beretta due to the safety not being slide mounted
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently got a 84F from CDI and I love it.  Personally, I would go with the Beretta.  I seen the sights on the BDA and they're more like the sights on a USGI 1911, read that as small and harder to use.  I'm also not all that fond of a slide mounted decocking lever.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have shot both, numerous times, own the BDA, but if I could do it all over again I would probably have the Beretta.  I like the frame mounted safety better, and the open top slide is rumored to be more reliable.

But the finish is nicer on the BDM.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the info. I currently dont own a 380 and I dont know if I want another caliber. i think I am leaning toward a 92FS Compact. Earlier one without rail.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info. I currently dont own a 380 and I dont know if I want another caliber. i think I am leaning toward a 92FS Compact. Earlier one without rail.
View Quote

I had a similar thought until I held the 92 Compact.
I found the 84 to fit my hand better...surprising because I have big paws.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a big guy and have big paws also ,and have been shooting a long time, mostly .45 cal, so this is a curiosity question more than anything....I really like the looks of the 84 series for a backup gun.......mostly for capacity......what puzzles me is it's hard to view a YT vid or read a review (even Hickok mentioned it)  that doesn't state how "snappy" it is because it's a blowback design.  how snappy can a .380 be ???????? my idea of "snappy" is a Glock 27
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm a big guy and have big paws also ,and have been shooting a long time, mostly .45 cal, so this is a curiosity question more than anything....I really like the looks of the 84 series for a backup gun.......mostly for capacity......what puzzles me is it's hard to view a YT vid or read a review (even Hickok mentioned it)  that doesn't state how "snappy" it is because it's a blowback design.  how snappy can a .380 be ???????? my idea of "snappy" is a Glock 27
View Quote

Recoil is always subjective.

That said, since most .380s are blowback and because only the spring weight and slide mass keep the chamber shut during firing, tend to have very high slide velocity.  I lose about 30% of my .380 brass at the range because it leaves the gun so fast it travels in time. This comes across as "snappy." By comparison my LC9s only tosses 9mm about 10 feet.

Light, small guns combined with high slide velocity can be a handful to shoot. My LCP is hard to keep from squirming around in my hand. My PPK/S tends to bite the web of my hand with the slide. The SIG P232 I got rid of had a habit of biting, too.

My 84B is probably the most pleasant .380 I've ever shot, and the least "snappy" of the bunch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm a big guy and have big paws also ,and have been shooting a long time, mostly .45 cal, so this is a curiosity question more than anything....
View Quote

You won't have any problems with that kind of background.  I've never owned either the Beretta or the Browning but I've shot one of the Browning's a bit and didn't notice anything particularly difficult to manage, and I have itty-bitty little girl's hands, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top