Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2016 5:30:58 PM EDT
I'm looking at buying a new Hi Power. It would be the MK3 with the epoxy finish and the ambi safety.

My questions are, do they reliably feed hollow point ammo out of the box? I've owned a MK2 years ago that would not feed anything but fmj. I'm really not interested in pouring money into a new gun to get to work.

Also...how does the finish hold up. It will be a carry weapon and will be shot a lot.

I've been on a classic guns kick for awhile now and the Hi Power is an itch that I'm needing to scratch but not if it's going to disappoint.t me. So reliable out of the box or not so much?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
MKIII has an improved feed ramp for hollow points.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I won't say that they will feed All hollow points but my MK3 has been reliable with the hollow points I've put through it.

The ammo manufacturers have become more aware of the need for their ammo to feed reliably as have the gun manufacturers become aware of their guns needing to feed hollow points.  Mutual improvement.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
My 2013 MkIII feeds anything that fits in the magazine.
Fit us fine with little slop and the black finish is hard and strong but will wear on the sharp edges from holsters. The white pInt on the sights will wash off with just about any solvent so be careful there or just repaint like I did.

FWIW, take the mag disconnect out ASAP, it is cheap flexible plastic and makes the trigger pull horrible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#4]
both my mkllls feed gold dots and critical defence 135 flex tips just fine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a MkII that was fussy about hollow point bullets.

My MkIII has been completely reliable after thousands of rounds.(about 4k various bullet types).
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Never mind...
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fit us fine with little slop and the black finish is hard and strong but will wear on the sharp edges from holsters. The white pInt on the sights will wash off with just about any solvent so be careful there or just repaint like I did.

FWIW, take the mag disconnect out ASAP, it is cheap flexible plastic and makes the trigger pull horrible.
View Quote

I can confirm all the above points.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Never mind...
View Quote

What realsubmoa said, you should have listen too.  He is a living encyclopedia of info on HP's.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:22:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Awful nice of you LastRights ...thank you Sir, much appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
My MKIII eats anything I feed it.
V
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I confirm as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Most MkIIIs eat anything provided quality mags.  I've tossed a few mil grade mags of unknown origin because they allowed hollow points to bite into the bottom edge of the feed ramp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top