Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2015 12:17:17 AM EDT
Sent my Hi Power off in April I believe, sent an email approximately a month or two to him just touching base.....Never heard anything, don't wanna bug the guy...I knew it was going to be a long wait for quality work .....Just wondering if anyone has recently gotten any work back or has been in contact.....

Cant wait to get my Hi Power back!
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Don is working on a pistol for me at the moment, a CZ actually. Been gone about two months. Haven't heard anything.....but wasn't expecting to either...Typically his time frame is 4-6 months so I'm guessing yours should be done most any day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don is working on a pistol for me at the moment, a CZ actually. Been gone about two months. Haven't heard anything.....but wasn't expecting to either...Typically his time frame is 4-6 months so I'm guessing yours should be done most any day.
View Quote

What is he doing to your CZ? I've been thinking of contacting him for some work on my compact.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a Hi-Power with Don as well.  We exchanged emails about two weeks ago.  Sent my pistol to him in June; hope to have it back by year end.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What is he doing to your CZ? I've been thinking of contacting him for some work on my compact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He will do the "street package" on them.

That means- replace springs, reliability work (polish feed ramp etc....) trigger job, add your choice of Heinie or Novak sights (Novaks for me), stipple front and rear of the grip, refinish. It comes back like a NEW GUN. I've had him to three so far, got another two in the safe waiting for the "gun fund" to support the expense. Last one I sent...gonna be matte finish hard chrome!

Oh, and since mine are all Pre B police trade in's if they don't take the Mec Gar mags (some will, some won't) I have him "convert" them. They run perfectly with the $20 16 round MecGars when he is done- no more scrounging around for mags, paying stupid money etc.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got a Hi-Power with Don as well.  We exchanged emails about two weeks ago.  Sent my pistol to him in June; hope to have it back by year end.
View Quote

Yup, 6 months is about right depending on how busy he is. Last one I had done was a little less than 4 months but that's not usual. Dons' been building me guns for over a decade now. Great work, decent turn around and he's too cheap for what he does.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That means- replace springs, reliability work (polish feed ramp etc....) trigger job, add your choice of Heinie or Novak sights (Novaks for me), stipple front and rear of the grip, refinish. It comes back like a NEW GUN. I've had him to three so far, got another two in the safe waiting for the "gun fund" to support the expense. Last one I sent...gonna be matte finish hard chrome!

Oh, and since mine are all Pre B police trade in's if they don't take the Mec Gar mags (some will, some won't) I have him "convert" them. They run perfectly with the $20 16 round MecGars when he is done- no more scrounging around for mags, paying stupid money etc.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your saying I should hold onto my CZ75?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get one back and put a set of VZ grips on it and I promise you will NEVER think about getting rid of it. Seriously.....very smooth, accurate, easy to shoot......not stupid expensive either.....
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is any consolation, I've never - and I mean never - had a gunsmith make the date they estimated when I sent them the pistol; but Don Williams came closer to it than anyone else has.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#9]
No regrets having Don do a HP for me..

Though in truth, I like Nill grips the best.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#10]
^Spook, details on that nice rear sight, please?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#11]
OST
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:10:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
^Spook, details on that nice rear sight, please?
View Quote

They are Heinie rear sights that Don machines to fit.  They present a nice flat sight picture.  Like them quite a bit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#13]
FWIW, Don got started on a project for me in the April/May time frame.  He was talking 6 to 8 months when ordered.  Shot him an email over the weekend and received a timely and informative reply.  It was not an instantaneous reply but it was over the weekend, after all.  He had a little problem with a barrel and had to get another one, which takes time and could not be forecast at time of order.  The gun is off at Birdsong getting Black T coating and of course Don has no control over their production schedule, but he thinks it will be done about Christmas.  

Bottom line it appears Don's 6 to 8 month estimate will be "as advertised" or near enough.  Custom work gets done, when it gets done.  I've had the local gun plumber take longer to do simple Fudd-level repairs than this is taking.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#14]
My Practical just returned from The ActionWorks.  Terrific trigger.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#15]
What grips are those? Beautiful!
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Im reviving this........Seeing if anyone has an update on their firearms...
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You've been waiting awhile. I hope you have atleast heard something. If not I would be sending a email
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You've been waiting awhile. I hope you have atleast heard something. If not I would be sending a email
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We shall see, believe the last phone call I made was around Jan/feb. don't want to bug the guy ya know? Everyone speaks so highly of his work and past experiences so I'm not so much worried about being stiffed or anything like that, at all. Just getting impatient I guess, esp since every conversation I've had the ETA has been quite off .

Owell, like I said, just getting impatient
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We shall see, believe the last phone call I made was around Jan/feb. don't want to bug the guy ya know? Everyone speaks so highly of his work and past experiences so I'm not so much worried about being stiffed or anything like that, at all. Just getting impatient I guess, esp since every conversation I've had the ETA has been quite off .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What all work is being done?
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sights
Trigger job
Stipple front and back strap
Bevel magwell
Custom ambi safety
Beaver tail
Reblue

Could be forgetting something
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sights
Trigger job
Bevel magwell
Custom ambi safety
Beaver tail
Reblue

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sights
Trigger job
Bevel magwell
Custom ambi safety
Beaver tail
Reblue

The beavertail probably isn't an easy get up to weld on, but the others are relatively easy to do.

Id call. Its been a bit.

Youre more patient than I would have been
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#22]
With top smiths it's not about the amount of work you're having done it's about the other peoples guns who are in line in front of you.

I waited for what seemed like forever when I sent my Hi-Power to C&S.  I called them a few times and all it accomplished was more charges on my long distance phone bill.

Such is the trouble when dealing with good smiths.

I had an ole shootin' buddy who sent his gun to Les Baer and didn't get it back fast enough to suit his wife.  She called and harassed and threatened them until Baer personally called him and asked him to call her off his azz and promised to move his gun to the front of the line.  Got  his gun back quickly after that.  If you have/know a super bitch you might try that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What grips are those? Beautiful!
View Quote

Sorry for the late reply - just saw your question.  Those are Spegels.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I had an ole shootin' buddy who sent his gun to Les Baer and didn't get it back fast enough to suit his wife.  She called and harassed and threatened them until Baer personally called him and asked him to call her off his azz and promised to move his gun to the front of the line.  Got  his gun back quickly after that.  If you have/know a super bitch you might try that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Don's email got hacked to the point of a total loss so if you want to reach him I'd suggest picking up the phone.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don's email got hacked to the point of a total loss so if you want to reach him I'd suggest picking up the phone.
View Quote

Every time Ive spoken to Mr. Williams its been via phone. I gave up on email several several months ago, which is OK since I've never had a problem reaching him via phone.

I saw that he is now having issues via email due to malware on another forum.

My concern is my pistol has been gone longer than anticipated, and longer than I was quoted originally and in subsequent phone conversations. -BUT- I am not here to complain or speak ill of Mr. Williams, just seeing if anyone recently has received work back and what their time frame was......Guess you could say I'm getting antsy...thats all.

Im sure it'll be a gem once I get it back.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#27]
My CZ came back last week. Longer than I thought it would take but I'm sure the HardChrome was part of the issue. Since I have several of his guns to shoot, I really didn't miss it much. Beautifu work as always....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top