Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2015 8:58:33 PM EDT
Came across a late 1944 Nazi Hi-Power with Wa640 waffenamt.  It was refinished with nickel plate (apparently long ago based on the condition of the finish which had large brown areas od discoloration across the slide and grip).  The bore was like staring into a black hole from which no light could escape.  I'm guessing there is some rust in there as well.  Serial numbers on barrel, slide and frame match and place it as one of the most common 1944 Nazi Hi-Powers.  Appears to be original grips.  Magazine appears to be post-war production that was also nickel plated.

To me, the $800 seemed unrealistic.  Did I miss some big interest in WW2 Hi-Powers that would justify $800 for a beat-up Hi-Power in that condition?  The tag says it was a WW2 bringback but there was no provenance.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you post some pics? Try your luck on the 1911 Forum in the Browning Hi-Power section. Lot of knowledgeable folks there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]
No, just no.  After the nickle plate it isn't worth your time.  I have a smith that will charge  $125 to fix that BS and it still isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh Hell no.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Run and not towards it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It's worth no more than $87.00
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Run and not towards it.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
No.

Shitty as a shooter and ruined as a collector's piece.

Zero upside.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Walk-Away

a "640(b)" is valuable for it's history in the scheme of all things Hi-Power. That is pretty much lost with any-type refinishing but definitely with nickel-plating. The sewer-pipe bore should remove any remaining interest in owning it at any price.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Everybody wants to pawn off their junk like it's some kind of treasure.  Because they think they can.  Last thing I want is some frickin Nazi gun.  Much less one that was abused and mucked up.  

Maybe I'm being harsh.  

I remember seeing and old beat up, HiPower that would be neat to own but Gander was selling it for like new prices and it just really didn't make sense to me.  It seemed like everything was loose to the point that it was ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Everybody wants to pawn off their junk like it's some kind of treasure.  Because they think they can.  Last thing I want is some frickin Nazi gun.  Much less one that was abused and mucked up.  

Maybe I'm being harsh.  

I remember seeing and old beat up, HiPower that would be neat to own but Gander was selling it for like new prices and it just really didn't make sense to me.  It seemed like everything was loose to the point that it was ridiculous.
View Quote

You're not being harsh.  An old west saying is "I got no use for old cars, old horses, or old guns".  The Browning Hi-Power is a neat pistol, but they made millions of them.  Guys think they have Herman Goering's nazi pistol and that is worth a ton of money.  I wouldn't want any Nazi pistol unless my Grandfather killed the bastard and took it off of him in the war.

Oh, and the technical term for a very dark, pitted bore described is "hunk of sewer pipe"
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a Belgian BHP with Nazi proofmarks.  I sold it and don't really regret it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#12]
It has no collector value - absolutely with the hive, run away.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I just did this.

But, I knew what I was doing.   I wanted it.   I like it.

See the related thread.

And the other with price.

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just did this.

But, I knew what I was doing.   I wanted it.   I like it.

See the related thread.

And the other with price.

View Quote

If that hasn't been refinished, you did good for $800 in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top