Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2015 3:12:43 PM EDT
Is this easy to do? Does it require gunsmithing skills and/or equipment? Anything on You Tube or elsewhere online?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Browning HP... hmmm....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdApLdz8EGA

Looks like it takes only a small punch to remove the pin on the trigger, and than an awl or other pointy object to lift the transfer arm and pry out the magazine safety itself.  Sixty-four seconds from first hammer tap to last after a field strip.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Browning HP... hmmm....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdApLdz8EGA

Looks like it takes only a small punch to remove the pin on the trigger, and than an awl or other pointy object to lift the transfer arm and pry out the magazine safety itself.  Sixty-four seconds from first hammer tap to last after a field strip.

View Quote

I think that method works on the older models. On both of my MK IIIs  I had to completely remove the trigger.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine are 88 and 93. Any idea what years that applies to?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
..........Hi Powers are a BITCH to work on...........unless you have 4 hands
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mine are 88 and 93. Any idea what years that applies to?
View Quote

I'm assuming it applies to any MK III but I don't know for sure. The way I found out was I tried the method in the above YouTube video and it would not come out.  I lurk the BHP section of 1911forum.com and I think that's where I learned about it.

You still drive the pin out of the trigger like in the above video but you have to remove the trigger from the frome to remove the MD.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
A helpful hint. The pin that holds the trigger in the frame is knocked out from right to left and you have to whack on it pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a brand new Mk3 and removed my disconnect. Found out that the part was plastic. Threw it away and never looked back. Trigger has gotten better too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a brand new Mk3 and removed my disconnect. Found out that the part was plastic. Threw it away and never looked back. Trigger has gotten better too.
View Quote

Exactly, one of the easiest things you can do to improve the trigger on a BHP. Do not listen to any moron that tells you that you could be liable for removing it if you are involved in a shooting. There has NEVER been a case where this was  an issue.

Vince
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#10]
How or if you want to take out a magazine disconnect is one set of issues.

Why the pull is affected is less talked about.

The actual problem is the disconnect rubs on the front of the magazine.

A new smooth polished magazine makes the disconnect nearly transparent.

But a parkerized or rusted or dented mag makes for a shiest pull.

Buy a new MecGar mag and make a good pull doing nothing else.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought that too. My old 1942 German proof HP is slick and has a wonderful trigger even with the disconnect from years of metal on metal and oil rubbing. The Mk3 has a rough molded plastic POS disconnect that is flexible and did not do any better with smooth blue Mecgar mags.  Gone, problem solved. Trigger is getting better each shooting session..  With this gone my 2013 HP now has 2 plastic parts...the grips. It is as if Browning knew folks took them out and so they went for the cheapest part they could.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, they're not. They're a product of the time in which they were designed, and are simpler than the contemporaries. They're certainly not as easy to work on as a Glock or M&P, but they're still fairly straightforward.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, they're not. They're a product of the time in which they were designed, and are simpler than the contemporaries. They're certainly not as easy to work on as a Glock or M&P, but they're still fairly straightforward.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Hadn't seen it mentioned but if you remove the MD, do yourself a favor and install a 2 coil trigger spring for a better reset as it was originally designed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hadn't seen it mentioned but if you remove the MD, do yourself a favor and install a 2 coil trigger spring for a better reset as it was originally designed.
View Quote

Good advice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
While removing the mag disconnect would be a good time to install a Garthwaite trigger too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:46:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
While removing the mag disconnect would be a good time to install a Garthwaite trigger too.
View Quote

It's my understanding that the Garthwaite trigger does require some fitting.  It is not a drop in replacement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top