Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2015 10:43:27 PM EDT
I've got an FEG with a new Wolff mainspring and occasionally a new Wolff recoil spring.

Consistently it fails to eject the last round (which I read about in the other thread) but also slams the slide forward into the empty, jamming the gun shut so hard it requires padding and a hammer to open.  Either that or the slide is running the empty forward, partially into the chamber again - I've seen that with 1911s occasionally.  It's also happened once in the middle of a mag, but usually at the very end.  The extractor is under pretty good tension and moves freely in the channel.

What are your thoughts?  Recommendations?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It means between the mainspring and recoil spring, the gun is very oversprung. If you still have the originals, swap them back in. Otherwise, at the very least snag a factory Browning mainspring and recoilspring from Brownells, Midway or Browning themselves and put new factory ones in...for some reason Wolff springs for Brownings seem hit or miss
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the original recoil spring, and can confirm that the problem happens when the gun is fired with it and the Wolff mainspring installed.  Do you think it's still oversprung?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the original recoil spring, and can confirm that the problem happens when the gun is fired with it and the Wolff mainspring installed.  Do you think it's still oversprung?
View Quote

Well if it's not ejecting the last round, and it's not tripping the slide stop, it's not getting back far enough to do that. I would guess the wolff mainspring is too long or too strong, or both, for the gun. I've seen reports on other forums that there's been issues with Wolff springs in BHPs as of late. Buy some factory Browning springs and try them out. If they don't work you can always resell them and recoup most of your cost...
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Not seeing Browning mainsprings on the usual parts sights. Do you think Wilson Combat or C&S would be good choices instead?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Hammer strut assembly with mainspring

Otherwise you can call Browning directly and buy one from them, they should have one...however it's a royal pain in the ass to swap out If I were you I'd just swap the whole hammer strut assembly, but that's just me, YMMV.

Otherwise, the Cylinder & Slide spring parts should be %100 good to go as well. Wolff I'd normally recommend for most things but for some reason they seem very hit or miss for Brownings specifically
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Last round failures to eject are frequently caused by insufficient extractor tension where the extractor has just enough grab to pull the empty out but not enough to hold it in place against the breech face.  This results in the empty case dropping lower after extraction since there isn't another round below to support it and it misses the ejector.  I use a LOT of Wolff hammer springs and have rarely had a problem with one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#7]
He's also saying the slide doesn't hold open on the last round...assuming (and I know that's a mistake ) that happens with every mag and all the mag springs are sane...either the slide isn't getting far enough back to trip the slide stop, or it is but its actually moving too fast for the mag to push the lever up. I could be wrong (and it certainly won't be the first or last time), but to _me_ it sounds like its oversprung a lot

Either that or the slide stop is plain broke and the OP hasn't noticed yet
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Slidestop is gtg. Mag are brand new Mec-Gar.

I'll get the Wilson springs, and update after testing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
You can buy Browning springs from Brownell's.

V
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
So, since I posted last, I've tested the gun with a variety of springs.

The problem still occurs with all original springs.  Well, all original springs except one - the original extractor spring was ridiculously squashed and provided hardly any tension, and the Wilson and Wolff springs were way too short, so I replaced it with a stiffer, longer Wolff spring (magazine disconnect I think) that provides an amount of tension that is usually recommended (difficult to move with a fingernail).  There's also a new sear in the gun, since the old one allowed the hammer to drop while on safe.  The jam occurs with multiple magazines, and multiple ammunition brands.

The jam is as described as before, either jamming before the shell is dragged far enough back to eject, or the shell is run forward again before it can be kicked out.  The jam is MASSIVELY difficult to clear, and usually requires a hammer, or slamming the muzzle of the gun on a hard object.  Here's a picture:

So now that I've determined that the gun is not oversprung, (and I'm doubting it was oversprung to begin with, as I plugged Wolff springs into 2 other guns with no ill effects) I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top