Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2015 10:36:46 AM EDT
I just purchased a 1988 Hi-Power Standard with adjustable sights. Have not fired it yet. At what distance should I zero the sights? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If height over bore is at .75" sight in for 10 yards then check it to see it is hitting on at 50 yards.  Will give you point of impact within an 1inch of line of sight out to 60 yards if you could actually shoot Point of Aim= Point of impact to same exact point out to 60 yards or in other words around .001 inch group.

If this is your first handgun sight it in using padded rest for your arms.
Shoot 50 rounds a day for 10 days in a row.  Start at 5 yards on K5 type target and move back to 10, 15 and 25 yards as groups get smaller.
Dry fire at night in a room later where there is absolutely no ammo in room.  
Many "gun cleaning" accidents are actually someone who decides to dry fire just one more time before exiting the room because they had ammo in the room and reloaded the gun already...........

I've yet to have an accidental discharge of any kind.

I always tell people to clear weapon by dropping the magazine and pulling the slide to the rear cycling it 3 times and then look in the chamber before releasing the slide.  They will see the second round come out of their ejection port and figure out they forgot to eject the magazine sooner or later.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
At whatever distance you normally shoot at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top