Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2015 2:43:40 PM EDT
I picked up a BHP from AIM a year ago and shot it once, had lots of FTF's. I cleaned the firing pin and channel and it performed better, but I had at least one FTE per magazine (using new 13 round Mec Gar magazines)
I'm thinking the first thing to change is the recoil spring, correct?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Recoil spring might be the problem. What ammunition are you using, factory or reloads? Underpowered ammo might not have enough power in some cartridges to cycle the action. HTH

BTW, Hi-Powers are like 1911s and ARs. You usually can`t stop at one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I was using a combination of WWB, Tula BrassMaxx and MagTech 115gr (I brought a pile of pistols and loaded mags to shoot, I'm not 100% sure which was loaded in what mags)

ETA: I didn't have ammo issues in any other pistols I was shooting today, other than a CZ75 that I think may be recoil spring related as well

Sadly, I don't see me getting another BHP unless they're dirt cheap, they've been on my list of popular nines I've wanted to collect for awhile (BHP, CZ75, P226, 92FS, G17, etc)
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget to clean the extractor as well. Maybe a new extractor spring too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
This.  Dirty extractor or too little tension is almost always the cause of FTE's in the Hi-Power in my experience, provided the extractor itself isn't the issue.  Sometimes carbon can build up between the slide and the extractor and it forces the extractor out just far enough that it doesn't get a good grip on the case.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't forget to clean the extractor as well. Maybe a new extractor spring too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I vote extractor issue as well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I replaced the extractor, spring and pin, along with the recoil spring (apparently I had picked up 3 recoil springs, so why not?)

The old extractor spring was dirty and full of crud but appeared ok otherwise. Hopefully I can get out again in two weeks and run a few more mags through it to see if it behaves now

Thanks again everyone
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Replacing all of the springs with Browning factory replacements would have been the first thing I would have done prior to ever shooting it, oh besides a complete cleaning.  Cheap insurance for what it is and you have no idea of the history of that particular pistol.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Replacing all of the springs with Browning factory replacements would have been the first thing I would have done prior to ever shooting it, oh besides a complete cleaning.  Cheap insurance for what it is and you have no idea of the history of that particular pistol.
View Quote

This should be standard procedure.

Vince
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Got a chance to shoot it today, no issues in 50 rounds after swapping parts out, thanks again everyone.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got a chance to shoot it today, no issues in 50 rounds after swapping parts out, thanks again everyone.
View Quote

Excellent!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top