Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2015 3:31:27 PM EDT
So I bought one of the Browning Hi Power MKIII's that were just offered at Aim. I like the pistol and it seems to be mechanically sound. Finish looks like a lot of holster wear but that's fine. The sights are a three dot setup but are in really poor shape and I'm thinking that a Novak low profile tritium night sight set would be the thing. However, it appears that these sights are integral to the slide, not something that can be punched out like a notch. Can these be replaced or am I stuck with these and need to by some Liquid Paper or something to whiten up the dots? It looks like there might've been tritium on the sights but now its just a white smear in all the places where there should be a dot. Here's some pics. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

What do you recommend I do to upgrade these sights and is there anyone that specializes in this type of thing that you guys recommend? Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Cylinder and Slide has Novak sights, and does do very good gunsmithing work.

I don't know shop rates or job rates, but a phone call could would yield that information.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=BHPsights
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean slots with finger nail polish remover.

Fill slots with bright white nail polish.  Ask counter girl for brightest nylon filled one.  She will ask if you are going to a party or fixing a gun, it is so common.

Use polish remover on Q Tip to clean surface overfills.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
To answer your question, you have a Mk3 HiPower and the sights are fitted into slots and as such are replaceable.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:00:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To answer your question, you have a Mk3 HiPower and the sights are fitted into slots and as such are replaceable.
View Quote

Yes, replaceable.  Slide is dovetailed for sight replacement.  Funny/sad thing is only Trijicon and Browning sights will fit these dovetails with out modification.
Any other (Novak, Heinie, ect.) will require the dovetails to be changed.  And the slide to be milled.  Back to square one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes, replaceable.  Slide is dovetailed for sight replacement.  Funny/sad thing is only Trijicon and Browning sights will fit these dovetails with out modification.

Any other (Novak, Heinie, ect.) will require the dovetails to be changed.  And the slide to be milled.  Back to square one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Im 99.9% sure my mepros went in without modifying the dovetails

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.meprolight.com/default.asp?catid={CC467D0F-7689-4932-AADF-16214C3AB751}&details_type=1&itemid={14B7E70C-B3B0-4893-9D75-EE5AF3634575}

Good info.  I had a set of Meproslights on my 1st Glock21 and liked the sights a lot.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Mepro makes sights that are a direct replacement for the Mk. III sights; have them on two HP's, like them a lot.

Larry
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Mepro makes sights that are a direct replacement for the Mk. III sights; have them on two HP's, like them a lot.

Larry
View Quote
Are you mepros zeroed well ?    Mine seems to be hitting high

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Correct mepro, trijicon, xs big dots, browning factory mkiii sights don't need milling. All the others will need machine work to fit them, I love my mkiii novak small version, went with white dots and will put a custom novak fiber sight later on.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
One one pistol, at 21' they shoot (for me, at least) a bit low; they basically hit where the front sight's dot is.

I haven't shot the second one yet to check zero; just got done with the Cerakote tonight.

Larry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top