Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2015 7:23:34 PM EDT
Since aim had em again recently it's stirred up a desire I've had for a long time for a hi power

I'm a huge 1911 guy and a huge fan of JOB

Only thing I saw that I didn't like was mag safety. I also heard triggers were bad, especially for a single action

What say you?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It's better with the mag disconnect removed, but the reset it really long and can be hard to feel.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's better with the mag disconnect removed, but the reset it really long and can be hard to feel.
View Quote

After shooting a lot of 1911s it's hard to imagine a single action browning design with a bad trigger
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It's pretty crappy. Trigger setup is very different than the 1911
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's pretty crappy. Trigger setup is very different than the 1911
View Quote

This. I just bought one and it's gritty and will need a trigger job to rival the 1911 Kimber I've got
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Difficult to make really good, because the linkage between trigger and sear goes from frame to slide and then back again... lots of inherent slop in the system.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much all the grit on a HiPower trigger comes from the mag disconnect.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#7]
You can get a 4-5lbs crisp break with a short travel after break.

Anything less than 4lbs and you can get hammer follow issues.

The issue is the longer reset and take up.  Never been an issue with me, but my first handgun was a HiPower.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Remove the mag disconnect for a marked improvement in trigger feel.

Vince
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
IF you polish the mag disconnector plate AND use a highly polished slick faced magazine, the mag disco causes no problem.

IF you use a rough or rusted or parkerized magazine, the pull fells like crapola.  Grease the plate or mag front and it is much slicker.

The reason is that the mag disco plate slides up the mag in addition to the mag pushing the mag disco inward.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Coming from the 1911 world you will find the HP trigger a huge disappointment.  They can be improved but they will never be a 1911.  As another poster mentioned, the system goes from the frame, into the slide and back down into the frame.  There's just too much slop there to get around.  As the HP works loose over time, the trigger only gets worse.  Browning didn't control the patents on the 1911, the HP trigger was designed to avoid any infringement issues.  

I like the HP, I own one, but I understand its limitations.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#11]
A Browning Hi-Power can have a trigger as good as any full house 1911 in terms of both weight and pre/post travel.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pretty much all the grit on a HiPower trigger comes from the mag disconnect.
View Quote

+10

Remove the mag disconnect and maybe do some normal trigger clean up and you can have a very suitable trigger.

This was assembled with all new factory springs and trigger parts, no mag disconnect and it is a 4lb trigger that breaks clean.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Both my Argentine and my Belgian Hi Powers have excellent triggers. Maybe not on par with a 1911, but leagues ahead of a Glock, M&P, etc...
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a lot of takeup and no reset feel on mine. None of that seems to affect my shooting, it breaks clean (since I tossed the mag disconnect) and that seems like all I need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top