Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2015 9:18:16 PM EDT
I have a new Browning Hi Power MkIII.....Id like to have a trigger job done, and obviously new sights....Novak seems to fit the bill, I've also looked at garthwaites site.....are there any other options that are comparable in pricing and quality?

guide me wise ones
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been less than happy with the work Novak did on the trigger of my MkIII as part of a Spec Ops Package, but do intend to send it back to them and give them the chance to correct it.

Have you considered Don Williams as well?  I'm considering sending my MkII to him.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
From all that I've heard about Novak in the last year I would avoid him. He's lost a few guys that worked for him, His websites been hacked and not updated in a very long time. He seems to be going down hill in a very quick manner. But that's just my opinion. Id look at Garthwaite or Williams.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From all that I've heard about Novak in the last year I would avoid him. He's lost a few guys that worked for him, His websites been hacked and not updated in a very long time. He seems to be going down hill in a very quick manner. But that's just my opinion. Id look at Garthwaite or Williams.
View Quote

I have not had any action work done by Novak, but did have a set of sights installed on an old FN.  Turnaround was exactly 7 days from me shipping to me receiving my slide back.  Sights are exactly what I wanted and look like it came from the factory original.

Very pleased with Novak.
But have no first-hand experience with their action work.
I would hesitate to paint Novak with a negative broad brush.  To much history there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been less than happy with the work Novak did on the trigger of my MkIII as part of a Spec Ops Package, but do intend to send it back to them and give them the chance to correct it.

Have you considered Don Williams as well?  I'm considering sending my MkII to him.
View Quote

What happened with the trigger? Did you have the work done to the factory FN hammer/sear/trigger, or use other parts, or...?

I've been considering sending mine to Novaks for the Spec Ops package as well...I was hoping to make a decision on that sometime this month...
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What happened with the trigger? Did you have the work done to the factory FN hammer/sear/trigger, or use other parts, or...?

I've been considering sending mine to Novaks for the Spec Ops package as well...I was hoping to make a decision on that sometime this month...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A new unfired MkIII with all factory parts.  I've put about 250 rounds through it since I got it back but have had trigger function issues which result in the gun not firing when the trigger is pulled.  Happens a few rounds out of each magazine.  Trigger pull is otherwise pretty awful.  Work was done several years ago, but between deployments and training I've just not had the opportunity to get in touch with Novak.  Now that I'm in a stable position, my intent is to contact them and see what they can do about it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A new unfired MkIII with all factory parts.  I've put about 250 rounds through it since I got it back but have had trigger function issues which result in the gun not firing when the trigger is pulled.  Happens a few rounds out of each magazine.  Trigger pull is otherwise pretty awful.  Work was done several years ago, but between deployments and training I've just not had the opportunity to get in touch with Novak.  Now that I'm in a stable position, my intent is to contact them and see what they can do about it.
View Quote

The reset on a MkIII (hell any BHP) is a bit long and can be a bit vague...are you short stroking it? (Just playing devil's advocate here)

Or by not firing do you mean the hammer drops but the FPS is still engaged and the firing pin doesn't move?

The trigger on a BHP isn't and will never be in the same class as a 1911 due to how it all works, sadly...but, while mine is fairly heavy (Around 7lb), it IS crisp and has pretty much zero creep. I actually swapped in a heavier (MkII and earlier) trigger return spring into mine as it crisps the reset up a lot...but it also adds an easy pound, maybe two to the pull. I took it out because the pull went from manageable but heavy to too heavy to manage without twisting the gun trying to get enough leverage to get it to break...
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The reset on a MkIII (hell any BHP) is a bit long and can be a bit vague...are you short stroking it? (Just playing devil's advocate here)

Or by not firing do you mean the hammer drops but the FPS is still engaged and the firing pin doesn't move?

The trigger on a BHP isn't and will never be in the same class as a 1911 due to how it all works, sadly...but, while mine is fairly heavy (Around 7lb), it IS crisp and has pretty much zero creep. I actually swapped in a heavier (MkII and earlier) trigger return spring into mine as it crisps the reset up a lot...but it also adds an easy pound, maybe two to the pull. I took it out because the pull went from manageable but heavy to too heavy to manage without twisting the gun trying to get enough leverage to get it to break...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't my first, or only, Hi Power, and I've got more than a fair bit of experience across a broad variety of firearms.  Trigger pulls, but does not drop the hammer.  That issue aside, it's heavy and full of creep.  Not what I was expecting after paying a grand.  But, don't get me wrong, it'll get back to Novak and they'll have the opportunity to work on it, even if it's out of my pocket again.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This isn't my first, or only, Hi Power, and I've got more than a fair bit of experience across a broad variety of firearms.  Trigger pulls, but does not drop the hammer.  That issue aside, it's heavy and full of creep.  Not what I was expecting after paying a grand.  But, don't get me wrong, it'll get back to Novak and they'll have the opportunity to work on it, even if it's out of my pocket again.
View Quote

Fair enough...I wonder if the sear lever is hanging up, or if the lever in the frame that contacts the sear lever is bound up somehow...
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fair enough...I wonder if the sear lever is hanging up, or if the lever in the frame that contacts the sear lever is bound up somehow...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very well could be.  In all honesty, I just haven't had the time to trouble shoot it.

Don't take my posts wrong, I WANT to like the Hi Power, and if I can get it worked out, will get qualified with it carry on duty.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Jim Garthwaite did my HiPower and 1911. Both are awesome guns. He does beautiful work and both work flawlessly. Jim is a great guy.

Ron
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Don Williams worked on my wife's BHP about 15yrs ago and the work was top notch.  Action, checkering and refinish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top