Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2015 9:11:19 AM EDT
I am thinking about getting a Chinese contract Inglis Hi Power with the (I think) original stock. I am new to Hi Powers and have read the "click" thread. Is there anything I need to watch out for? What is the latest legality with the stock? Is the proper finish parkerized? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless it was dirt cheap I would not even consider it from what I have seen of them. Just Tuesday I looked at a brand new MKIII at Bass Pro in Grapevine for $699.

Vince
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless it was dirt cheap I would not even consider it from what I have seen of them. Just Tuesday I looked at a brand new MKIII at Bass Pro in Grapevine for $699.

Vince
View Quote

Chinese contract Inglis Hi Power is related to a new MkIII how?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#3]
They are both hi powers with the same workings. Mkiii have a cast frame and take HP without throating
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They are both hi powers with the same workings. Mkiii have a cast frame and take HP without throating
View Quote

No shit.
So tell us why the OP wants an Inglis?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.

Sometimes I wonder if stupid just sometimes slops over from GD. Chinese contract inglis Highpowers are collectors items. Something your MK3 will never be.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#6]
If the OP is looking for a shooter, he needs to be aware that the Ingles have internal extractor, which can be difficult to find replacements when/if they break.

As someone else stated earlier, the Ingles are really collector guns, unless previously modified or been beat to death, in which case there are better choices.

Anyone looking for a shooter would be better off with a new Mk III or a used Mk II or Mk III, many of which are available on Funbroker from Gary Cole at CDI Sales.  Search Funbroker for Browning High Power and CDI's offerings will come right up.  He will want to also hit the tab for other offerings by Cole, because he often posts them under P35 and other names as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#7]
OP did not really say one way or the other what he wanted one for just that he was new to the HP and asked for opinions. I agree that the Inglis and my old German proofed P35 are collectors and as such I use a modern HP for my serious shooting.  The info provided was just more info for him to digest and use if needed.

Allso all FN needs to do is stop making the HP and yes, the MkIII will be a collectors piece too. Never say never.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the very set-up you're looking at.

The internal extractor wasn't a problem back then because you could get replacements.  Nowdays, it's a problem finding them.

The Chinese guns were pretty well worn and have seen alot of use.  You have to consider that in addition to the extractor issue.  

The legality of the stock has changed over the years.  IIRC, it has to be original production.  Reproductions were legal at one time, but I'm pretty sure that's changed.  A repro would be fine if you went  class 3 SBR.

Shooting it was fun, but the shoulder stock didn't seem to add to any accuracy at all in shooting.  I think the Chinese ones were simply just shot out a little too much for it to help any.  Cool and all, but novelty value only.  

It's more a collector thing nowdays.

If you just want a BHP, there are more cost effective options.  There are plenty of newer used guns available.

If you want a BHP with a shoulder stock, the Chinese contract Inglis is probably the cheapest route.  A MKIII doesn't take a stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top