Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2015 8:57:09 PM EDT
I have a Fn High Power that I have had for about ten years it was my grandpas gun. I believe he bought it through shotgun news in the 60s or 70s. I can not find much information on it at it has a 5 digit serial number on it and has two matching magazines. The post of the high power in the GD got me thinking about it the other day. Any information would be appreciated.
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" /></a>" />
" />
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The frame of OPs pistol was inspected as an individual part in the 3rd. quarter of 1952...per the FN factory Part Date Code. Final assembly occurred possibly late 1952, but more likely early 1953. West Germany began purchase of new BHP pistols for their Polizei directly from FN in 1951. OPs pistol is of the correct period and the serial number is within the appropriate range for West German purchase in1953. These pistols came from FN's commercial production, used serial numbers and not contract numbers and were not FN factory marked to indicate West German ownership. Upon Polizei acceptance though, both magazines were normally stamped with the pistol serial number...as was the top rear trailing edge of the issued black leather hard shell flap holster. This is normally the only way West German Polizei pistols are identified. BUT...there IS an exception; pistols used by the Polizei of North Rhine Westphalia were marked with a 3 or 4 digit Polizei inventory number...normally on the frame at the grip as well as the baseplates of both magazines...instead of the usual full serial number on the magazines mentioned earlier. OPs pics clearly show the number "692" neatly stamped on the base of the one visible magazine...and OP indicates both magazines match. Though very hard to read with the blurry pic of the right side of the pistol, it appears "692" is stamped just above the right grip panel. If so, there's no doubt OPs BHP is a 1953 West German pistol issued to the North Rhine Westphalia Polizei. Though unnecessary at this point, there's more evidence strengthening the suggested lineage of OPs pistol. OP indicates the pistol was acquired by his grandfather from Shotgun News in the "'60s or '70s", which dovetails perfectly with the fact that West Germany pulled the BHP from service in 1969 and shortly thereafter sold them on the international surplus market...many were then sold through Shotgun News in the '70s.

Very nice pistol .....
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#2]
That is a beautiful Hi Power and nice to see all the matching mags.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The frame of OPs pistol was inspected as an individual part in the 3rd. quarter of 1952...per the FN factory Part Date Code. Final assembly occurred possibly late 1952, but more likely early 1953. West Germany began purchase of new BHP pistols for their Polizei directly from FN in 1951. OPs pistol is of the correct period and the serial number is within the appropriate range for West German purchase in1953. These pistols came from FN's commercial production, used serial numbers and not contract numbers and were not FN factory marked to indicate West German ownership. Upon Polizei acceptance though, both magazines were normally stamped with the pistol serial number...as was the top rear trailing edge of the issued black leather hard shell flap holster. This is normally the only way West German Polizei pistols are identified. BUT...there IS an exception; pistols used by the Polizei of North Rhine Westphalia were marked with a 3 or 4 digit Polizei inventory number...normally on the frame at the grip as well as the baseplates of both magazines...instead of the usual full serial number on the magazines mentioned earlier. OPs pics clearly show the number "692" neatly stamped on the base of the one visible magazine...and OP indicates both magazines match. Though very hard to read with the blurry pic of the right side of the pistol, it appears "692" is stamped just above the right grip panel. If so, there's no doubt OPs BHP is a 1953 West German pistol issued to the North Rhine Westphalia Polizei. Though unnecessary at this point, there's more evidence strengthening the suggested lineage of OPs pistol. OP indicates the pistol was acquired by his grandfather from Shotgun News in the "'60s or '70s", which dovetails perfectly with the fact that West Germany pulled the BHP from service in 1969 and shortly thereafter sold them on the international surplus market...many were then sold through Shotgun News in the '70s.

Very nice pistol .....
View Quote

Thank you for your in depth response that is very helpful in my research of my  pistol.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
You are most welcome

FWIW, it's pretty unusual for all the stars and planets to align such as they did for your pistol,

Congrats again
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are most welcome

FWIW, it's pretty unusual for all the stars and planets to align such as they did for your pistol,

Congrats again
View Quote

Sorry to bug you but what do you mean by this statement are these pistols rare. I will take better pictures tomorrow with a real camera instead of my phone. Thank you for all the information.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#6]
West German Polizei BHP pistols of the 1950s are not really what I'd call "rare", I've got a couple, have friends who have them and have answered questions such as yours from owners of similar BHP pistols on other BHP forums/sub-forums. When I mentioned unusual, I was only speaking to the very specific identification of your particular pistol. Virtually all West German Polizei BHP pistols of the 1950s are only identified as to year and the fact that they were West German Polizei BHP pistols
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top