Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2015 4:15:57 AM EDT
Like the title says I picked up a High Power from Numrich for a little over $300 shipped.  Gun looks like it has been rode hard and put up wet.  From what I gather it is a 1985 model MKII.  Serial number range: 245PV32XXX.  I field stripped the gun and then took the slide internals apart and have the pistol soaking in breakfree as it was a bit rusty.  I'll post some pics in a few days when I get it cleaned up.  I have a few questions.  

I would like to get a whole new set of springs for it since it looks to have been used quite a bit.  Wolff has the Service Pak Type II for $18.29 which contains: recoil spring, extra power firing pin spring, extractor spring, hammer spring, safety plunger spring, magazine catch spring and a +5% extra power magazine spring.  Should I go with this?  

I see some people recommending browning factory springs.  Where is a good place to get those?  I got on Browning's website but could not locate any High Power parts.  Maybe I just didn't look hard enough.  Do they sell a package of springs like the above Wolff?  

Are some of the springs that come in that package deal from Wolff unnecessary?

The grips on mine look like These from Numrich, but are all chewed up like someone tried to pry them off with a screwdriver.  I'm thinking about just ordering a replacement set from them as in the picture they look new but they are $25.85.  I'm actually surprised parts for this gun are so expensive.  I should have picked up a set of VZ when Amazon had them on sale a few weeks back.  Since mine has the lanyard ring does that matter when looking for grips?

Also the gun has a post where the lanyard ring would go, but the actual ring is missing (post is there).  Is this what I need.  How hard it is to replace?

I likely won't change around much on the gun and prolly just keep the finish original and shoot the heck out of it, but I want it to be in proper working order.

ETA: Pics added.  The last 3 digits of the serial have been blurred out in the pics.  I left the pistol apart because I'm still soaking it in breakfree.  It has some rust pitting on the frame.  I think this model is an MKII no?

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 4:41:24 AM EDT
[#1]
VZ makes great grips.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 4:49:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VZ makes great grips.
View Quote

So I've heard.  They make several types.  Which would you recommend?  I don't like stuff that is so aggressive it will hurt your hand (like the RTF frame glocks for example) so a good compromise would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Pictures of said pistol?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:06:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If you look around, you might be able to find a pair of Uncle Mike`s rubber grips. They are now out of production because they were made under license from Spiegel (IIRC). The license expired and was not renewed. They`re some of the nicest grips for the High Power you`ll ever find.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the VZ set I have on my BHP, not too aggressive at all.  That spring set is gtg.

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't know Numrich sold firearms. Is it online or at their physical location only?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Didn't know Numrich sold firearms. Is it online or at their physical location only?
View Quote

They do it through gunbroker.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have found the Wolff recoil springs to be too long and for some people have caused problems. I recommend factory OEM springs. As for grips, I am partial to Spegels.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#10]
What ever you do, do not put Wolf springs in that Hi Power. Only OEM Browning springs, you can get them from Brownells or Midwest Gun Works.

V
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Pics of parts and markings:

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Moar:

And in case anyone is wondering, here is the rest of the pistol:

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#13]
So as you can see in the pics, the sear lever in my pistol is different from the new style on the MKIII.  It was just held in with a pin and had no spring in behind it.  In the disassembly videos I have found online for the MKIII it shows a spring behind it.  So is mine just a different style or is that part missing from my pistol?

ETA: also the stud for the lanyard ring appears to be pressed in on my gun, as I can spin it around with a pin punch and it doesn't appear to get loose or tighter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep, it's a mkII, Israeli surplus judging by the marking.  Great price for it I'd say

The trigger bar lever thing (not sure of the name, but not the sear) wouldn't be the same as commercial MKIII models, as they have a firing pin block and yours doesn't.  The Israeli surplus MKIII's don't have it either, and I don't believe there is supposed to be a spring in there.

The lanyard stud was the same deal on mine, it ended up just being peened over on the inside.  I just stuck a drill in the opposite side hole and it fell out after a few seconds  

If you want VZ's, you'll have to remove it or modify the grips, most grips don't have the stud cutout.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep, it's a mkII, Israeli surplus judging by the marking.  Great price for it I'd say

The trigger bar lever thing (not sure of the name, but not the sear) wouldn't be the same as commercial MKIII models, as they have a firing pin block and yours doesn't.  The Israeli surplus MKIII's don't have it either, and I don't believe there is supposed to be a spring in there.

The lanyard stud was the same deal on mine, it ended up just being peened over on the inside.  I just stuck a drill in the opposite side hole and it fell out after a few seconds  

If you want VZ's, you'll have to remove it or modify the grips, most grips don't have the stud cutout.
View Quote

Thanks.  Which markings are Israeli?  I kind of like the idea of a lanyard ring on it.  This will not be a carry piece for me.  I might pick up the ring I posted earlier from sarco to restore it.  If that doesn't fit I guess its coming out.  

Is there an easier way to get the frame apart?  I found a few videos but they look a bit complicated and show a guy using special tools.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#16]
The circular stamp on the right side of the frame is a hebrew letter I believe, although I don't know what it means.  This thread has a little info on it.

I didn't really need any special tools to take the frame apart.  All I needed was a tiny pin puch to take the right side of the ambi safety off, and then a bent up coat hanger to hold the hammer back while pushing out the sear pin.  

The only trouble I had with mine was removing the mag disconnect, I had to beat the ever loving shit out of the trigger pin before it would budge.  

However it looks like your trigger pin is a replacement so if you want to remove the disconnect it should be much easier.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the thin black Navridex micarta grips from Brownells.  Best feeling grip I've ever handled on a HP.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/browning-hi-power-combat-grips-prod9563.aspx?avs|Make~~Model_1=Browning__High%20Power
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 on the Navidrex as well...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok I just got off the phone with Browning's customers service other than having to wait on hold for about a half hour to get to someone they were extremely friendly and helpful.  I was able to order almost a complete set of replacement springs for $38 shipped.  He priced each spring for me over the phone and they were all about half of what Brownells charges at least and that was even after my Brownells FFL discount.

The only springs I didn't order were the trigger spring and magazine safety spring.  I looked over the pistol and worked both of those parts and they appear to be in good shape.  I likely will just leave the trigger assembly installed as it looks a pain in the butt to get back in.  The customer service rep said they never sell any trigger springs anyway as most people's don't wear out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Trigger removal/re-installation is not a major problem.  I'm new to BHPs, and I did it in under 1/2 hour with cleaning and lube.

I'd pull the trigger, if for no other reason than to clean/degrease everything.  

And watch/double check what direction pins are to be driven.  
It matters.  
Trigger pins are driven from the RIGHT SIDE, or ejection port side.  Otherwise the pin hole will be oversized and the pin will walk during use.
If this happens, it's not the end of the world.  Take your punch, and peen the trigger pin hole, inside the frame. on the ejection port side.  Not visible on the exterior and will hold the pin fine.  Worked for me on the surplus BHP I purchased with a walking pin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top