Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2014 3:08:52 PM EDT
I have an '89 Mark II Hi-Power (245PNxxxxx) with the staked front sight and top rib (ergo Mark II).

I've put a set of Hogue Kingwood grips on it, and I'm considering some 'mild' customization (sights, removing magazine safety, commander hammer). Is there any reason I should keep this pistol bone stock?

I'm in the queue for a Milt Sparks VMII holster, and I'm considering ordering a set of Nill grips as well. A BHP is rugged enough to be an EDC gun, and classy enough to be a BBQ gun, too.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd do it.

None of those enhancements diminish the gun's value at all and in fact if a reputable smith does them, they may add value.
Also, should you ever decide to sell it, the mag safety and hammer can be put back in.  I presume you want a dovetail cut for the front sight?
If so that would be the only permanent change - which by the way should include a refinish on the slide.

If you plan on doing it yourself, be aware that the hammer isn't a drop in part.
You'll likely wind up needing a new sear, and if you're going to do that you might as well look at an oversized thumb safety as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have an '89 Mark II Hi-Power (245PNxxxxx) with the staked front sight and top rib (ergo Mark II).
View Quote

You sure about that?
I've never seen a MkII with anything except a front sight integral with the rib.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^THIS^^^
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You sure about that?
I've never seen a MkII with anything except a front sight integral with the rib.
View Quote

I sit corrected. The front sight is part of the rib.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd do it.

None of those enhancements diminish the gun's value at all and in fact if a reputable smith does them, they may add value.
Also, should you ever decide to sell it, the mag safety and hammer can be put back in.  I presume you want a dovetail cut for the front sight?
If so that would be the only permanent change - which by the way should include a refinish on the slide.

If you plan on doing it yourself, be aware that the hammer isn't a drop in part.
You'll likely wind up needing a new sear, and if you're going to do that you might as well look at an oversized thumb safety as well.
View Quote

I'm leaning toward a Novak dovetail front and rear with tritium inserts. Novak's website says they turn a sight installation around in about a week.

Turnaround time from one of the 'name' BHP smiths for hammer/sear/trigger seems to be pretty long. After I had the sights installed, I was considering a C&S hammer and sear and trigger work done by a local smith. Nashville has a LOT of good 1911 guys, but I'm looking for someone with some BHP chops.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#6]
KISS, for me I'd replace the sights, remove the MD and install a 2 coil trigger spring.  The hammer I'd leave alone and simply bob it by rounding it side to side and call it day.  In the end you should be very happy and spent considerably less.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:33:07 AM EDT
[#7]
To answer your question, yes, certainly, absolutely.  Your pistol is not likely to be a collectors item any time soon.

And if it were me.... I would throw in a trigger job.  Amazing what a good smith can do with a BHP trigger.  Oh, and since we're spending your money, stipple the front strap, back strap, and front of trigger guard.  Of course, then you'll need to refinish it which offers up a number of good options.  OK.. fine.. you get the idea.

Trigger job.. absolutely.  And some grip tape.  And you're going to love the Nil grips.  I much prefer them to anything including VZ's.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top