Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2014 9:47:14 PM EDT
So my MKIII Hi-Power is my favorite 9 I own, but it began misfeeding a year or so ago and I can't figure it out!

I bought it a few years ago, and the first 2-3000 rounds it was unstoppable. Any brand and type of ammo both fed and ejected flawlessly. Between a year ago and 6 months ago, the issue has progressed to the point that this thing is useless.

2 months ago I replaced the recoil spring with a 17lb Wolff but didn't get a chance to get to the range to test it until yesterday... I almost put it away after the first mag since it was worse than a single shot pistol, but id already thrown away the cardboard ammo box and didn't have another 9 with me, so I shot the rest of it. 42 of the 50 rounds misfed.

When I rack the slide it feeds perfectly, no hang ups etc. but when it tries to feed itself it won't go into battery. For the first few months this happened once or twice a mag, and I could use one finger to push the slide the rest of the way... Now I have to give it a tiny pull back before it will feed(full rack=double feed), almost every shot. I took it apart, lubed and cleaned it completely, no change at all. The round looks jammed in almost a 45* angle between the feed ramp and the magazine.

I've tried the following ammo over the past year, all with the same issue. None is better or worse, none will feed. I have not tried any hollow points though...
WWB-115g fmj
S&B- 115g and 124g fmj
Fiocchi- 115g and 124g fmj
PMC 115g fmj

And no, I don't have a buffer in the gun, I bought one, but it did not fit in any way... Must have been for another model or something.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried different mags, typically feeding issues are magazine related.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Clean/check your extractor for tension.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clean/check your extractor for tension.
View Quote

This, and make sure your recoil spring is at factory strength. And, did you change magazines during this time? FRTB is a lot of times magazine and extractor related, especially if the recoil spring can't overpower either.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
A good chance it is the recoil spring. Wolff recoil springs are a little on the long side for the HP. It's hit and miss with most
HP's. If you put your old spring back in it will probably run fine. You can buy the correct spring direct from Browning. They
are less than Wolff and the shipping is very reasonable.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I only use Browning springs in my HP. I have never seen the need to use any Wolf product. I would completely break down the slide, clean it real well and lube it up good. Have you removed the firing pin spring for cleaning? What does the extractor look like? What magazine are you using?

V
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Since it used to run, start with the basics. Mags disassembled and clean?, got a known good mag to try?

Is the recoil spring shot, nm I see you replaced this.  

Extractor assembly clean?

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you still have the old spring. If so, put it back in and see if the problems stop. I have a Colt OACP that was perfect with the original dual spring setup. I bought a Wolff single spring replacement and immediately started having issues. I also tried a Wolff spring for my Hi Power and could barely get it to fit. It was 3/4 of a inch longer than the original. That was enough for me to get two factory Browning springs ordered.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Any resolution? Magazine problem would be my guess.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Did the problem go away?

Only misfeed problem I've ever had with a BHP was self induced with my first one back in 83.  I put the guide rod in upside down.  It would still rack but didn't want to feed much.  Learned an all time lesson from that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did the problem go away?

Only misfeed problem I've ever had with a BHP was self induced with my first one back in 83.  I put the guide rod in upside down.  It would still rack but didn't want to feed much.  Learned an all time lesson from that.
View Quote

You were very lucky that you did not break the barrel lug.

V
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

V
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did the problem go away?

V

Never shot it that way, it just wouldnt feed so I stopped and loked real close and realized the problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top