Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2014 4:27:03 PM EDT
Is there a serial number range on when FN started using cast frames on the Mk3 9mm pistols?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope...

Series production of cast frames for the 9mmP was begun in '93...when they began series production of the BHP.40.

FN was assembling 9mmP BHPs using remaining stocks of forged frames at least as late as '95.

Cast frames are identified by the striations on the butt of the frame and/or a stylized casting identification mark within the magazine well top right.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a way to identify a frame by the serial number?, I heard that cast frames are stronger than forged frames. It has a 245NZ##### serial number, so according to published sources, that should be about a 91 manufactured frame, so more than likely still a forged frame?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Again, nope...

511NZ would be '91 manufacture and NOT "more than likely" a forged frame...it IS a forged frame...

The cast frame is hardened differently and is commonly accepted as "tougher"...
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Great information, thanks
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Serrations on the bottom of the magwell isn't always a true sign of a cast frame, need to look inside of the magwell up towards the top for the potential of a casting impression.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Serrations on the bottom of the magwell isn't always a true sign of a cast frame, need to look inside of the magwell up towards the top for the potential of a casting impression.
View Quote

Already pointed out above...twice
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Realsub, I love ya but it wasn't  that I can see.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
The problem with trying to date the change-over with a serial-number "range" is that during most of 1993, FNH used both the "new" cast-frame and left-over forged-frames simultaneously for 9mm Para Hi-Power production, until they ran out of the older forged-frame at some point in production.  

I haven't seen a 1994-dated 9mm Para Hi-Power with an earlier forged-frame, but that doesn't mean they didn't make one.  I have seen numerous early cast-framed 9mm Para Hi-Powers made in 1993 that DIDN'T have the serrations on the bottom of the magazine-well.  All of these did have the older, original "long" rear-frame-rails and the casting-mark/number inside the frame though.  Running change and all............
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#10]
The serial number indicated a 1991 manufacture date, so I'm positive it is a forged frame, thanks for all that replied with info. I'm pretty sure once I get it off layaway this Christmas and shoot it with the commonly available 9mm found around my part of MI that that gun will last quite along time, I'm just worried about it rusting.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Back at ya my friend

Here ya go:

Quoted:

"Cast frames are identified by the striations on the butt of the frame and/or a stylized casting identification mark within the magazine well top right".....
View Quote

AND within the Stephen Camp link: "http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/does_my_hi_power_have_a_forged_or%20cast%20frame.htm"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top