Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 3:46:47 AM EDT
Looking at picking up a BHP from Cole's, but for my hand a "commander" hammer is a must. Now I know nothing truly drops in on a 1911, but I'm not familiar enough with the Hi Powers.

Also, if it has to be fitted, can anyone recommend a good, reasonable smith?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#1]
It will have to be fitted.

Unless you are going all out (Novak, Cylinder & Slide, Garthwaite) find someone local.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had to fit a BHP hammer. The safety to the sear usually needs fitting.

You will need to know what you are doing to change the hammer spring and strut over to the new hammer. Its not like a 1911.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Never had to fit a BHP hammer. The safety to the sear usually needs fitting.

You will need to know what you are doing to change the hammer spring and strut over to the new hammer. Its not like a 1911.
View Quote

I was able to get the "semi drop-in" C&S sear & no-bite hammer into my surplus izzy BHP, and I'm a hack of a 1911 pistolsmith. It can be done. Watch the AGI videos, read some articles, and take your time. A bench block, pin punches, oil stones, a machinist vise and some time. That's all it took.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I figured it would bite me too but I decided to try it first and 600+ rounds later, not a single nibble. So, I'd say put some rounds downrange before you waste time and or money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top