Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2014 9:19:53 AM EDT
Well just got my first Hi Power!!

So what do I need to know about these things?!

Initial impressions and it seems like a well handling gun.  I did the pick best of 5 and the gun is fairly worn.  Its a blued pistol and shows holster wear and the back strap is very worn.  Looks a lot like the stock photo used by AIM.  The trigger has has a decent amount of take up before breaking.  Not sure if that is normal.  But besides that, trigger pull doesnt seem to bad... I wouldn't say i am the best judge though.  I could find it very shootable.

The Hi Power came with a Mec-gar 15 round magazine, spur type hammer, single sided short safety, and lanyard stud and ring.

I took it apart and cleaned the pistol as far as I could.... I wanted to play with it a little so I didn't completely tear the pistol down.  I plan to do that this weekend.

I also checked the serial number and it seems to be built in 1987.  Not sure what all the markings are.... I'll have to do a little research.

Game plan so far is to replace all the springs and shoot the crap out of it.  Then I plan to change the fixed military sights to something more noticeable, change to a round hammer (I just like the looks), and probably refinish (not sure if it will be blue or park).

Also I know its all worthless without pictures, so pictures are to follow!!!!  Just gotta figure out how to post pictures directly without using just a link to the pics.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I do have a few questions for the group though.

Since mine was made in 1987 does that make it a MKI, MKII, MKIII?  It does have a firing pin safety, so not sure if that helps.

Also how do I remove the lanyard stud and ring?  Mine will keep turning so it doesn't seem to be a screw in type of stud and there is no hole on the other side so doesnt seem to be mushroomed into place.... anyone ever seen one like this?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You might want to search around over in these 2 other forums.  They dont get as much traffic as here, but are more targeted to your questions.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
..... does that make it a MKI, MKII, MKIII?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
..... does that make it a MKI, MKII, MKIII?  

No such thing as a "MKI"......before the MKII appeared it was called the "Standard Model". FN continued to produce the Standard Model alongside the MKII.

MKII's were intended to compete for the military and police market vs the "sporting" market with a high polished blue.

All MKII's will have a rib on the top of the slide from the rear sight to the front. The front sight is integral to the slide, not dovetailed. The slide will have a "drain hole" at the muzzle end of the slide. MKII's will have a straight feed ramp on the barrel rather than the earlier "humped" feed ramp of the Standard Model. This improves feeding of hollow points and soft points.

The great majority of MKII's were parkerized from the factory, either a grey/black or a green/gray (I have one of each).

Also how do I remove the lanyard stud and ring?  Mine will keep turning so it doesn't seem to be a screw in type of stud and there is no hole on the other side so doesnt seem to be mushroomed into place.... anyone ever seen one like this?

If it doesn't unscrew, its pressed in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You might want to search around over in these 2 other forums.  They dont get as much traffic as here, but are more targeted to your questions.

http://hipowertalk.com/forum/

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?86-Browning-Hi-Power

View Quote

Another forum that gets a fair amount of traffic and some pretty reliable information shared from time to time:

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, what should I replace in these as far as springs and parts?

I figure the recoil spring, what else?  Also are there any rebuild kits?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, what should I replace in these as far as springs and parts?

I figure the recoil spring, what else?  Also are there any rebuild kits?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I got two of the CDISales FEG HiPower clones--one blue and one parked.  Aside from new grips, removing the mag safety, and a good cleaning, both were good to go with no other changes.

I'd suggest the same before you start rebuilding or switching things out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah,  I think the mag safety should come out.  Just checking out the trigger it is very smooth when you try the trigger without the magazine in compared with it in.

Also don't know if this is an issue but with the hammer cocked and the safety on if I pull pretty good on the trigger I can feel some slight movement.  The hammer doesn't seem to move any and the trigger pull feels about the same when i dry fire.  I can get the situation to repeat by just pushing down on the hammer again and pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I got two of the CDISales FEG HiPower clones--one blue and one parked.  Aside from new grips, removing the mag safety, and a good cleaning, both were good to go with no other changes.

View Quote

I'd suggest the same before you start rebuilding or switching things out.

When I took the mag safety out of my FEG, the trigger was actually VERY nice.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top