Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2014 9:41:32 PM EDT
I was in need of a new barrel for my BHP after a recoil lug failure. I had one on order from Bar-Sto but they were not going to make any until September. I had been checking Ebay for BHP small parts every day. Last Friday I checked and there was a new post with 3 new FN Browning Hi-Power barrels for $150 each. The ad said they had been removed from new Hi Powers for training purposes (whatever that means). I snatched up one and it arrived yesterday and I tried it out today at the range. I added a new recoil spring and recoil spring guide and my beloved Browning Hi Power is now back in action better than ever. Emailed Bar-Sto and canceled the order. A barrel from them was going to cost $250 and it was a semi fit. The FN Browning barrel was a drop in.

Vince
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#1]
What problems were you having with your old barrel? I've got an older BHP that is experiencing accuracy issues and I think I may go the same route as you and replace the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What problems were you having with your old barrel? I've got an older BHP that is experiencing accuracy issues and I think I may go the same route as you and replace the barrel.
View Quote

It was a very odd failure while shooting the slide locked up and I could not move it. I checked to make sure that there was not a live round in the chamber before trying to force it. I finally had to literally drive out the slide stop. After removing the slide I discovered the recoil spring guide had broken and the recoil spring lug on the barrel had broken and was pointing down at about a 10 degree angle. I took the gun and barrel to a gunsmith and he was awestruck as he had never seen a Browning BHP fail in this manner. I point out that I have owned this BHP since purchased new in 1994 so it has only been in my hands. This BHP is a high round count BHP as I shoot it very often. Probably has in excess of 40K rounds through it. The gunsmith tig welded the barrel lug back into position and I continued to use the BHP for about another six months unit another failure, this time it was the recoil spring guide that broke again. I figure it was time for a new barrel so I stared searching for one. Browning was asking north of $400 for a new BHP barrel., and they are not available.  I was turned on to a Bar-Sto semi fit and had one on order for a September production run for $250. I am on Ebay a lot and was looking for BHP small parts when I came across a listing for 3 brand new BHP barrels in 9mm for $175 each plus $17 shipping. Two had already been sold so I could not whip out my credit card fast enough to buy it. I was extremely lucky to get it. If you are having accuracy issues with your BHP and you suspect the barrel Bar-Sto is a good alternative and they will be making some in September so get your order in as they go very quickly.

Vince
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I went the Ebay route and scored an entire upper end off a MkIII.  My BHP is the sport model with the beer can rear and really tall front sight. On top of my accuracy droping off I've wanted to change the sights on my pistol, but the front is brazed on. By the time I spend the money to get the slide cut for sights I still need a new barrel. The MkIII slide is already dove tailed for front and rear sights so it was a no brainer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
nice score!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My new barrel is doing great, my BHP has never shot this good even when new.

25 yards bench rest Berry's 124gr plated RN, Win231 4.3gr

Vince
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My new barrel is doing great, my BHP has never shot this good even when new.

25 yards bench rest Berry's 124gr plated RN, Win231 4.3gr
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/DSC_01711.jpg

Vince
View Quote

That's impressive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top