Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2014 6:28:49 PM EDT
Having owned a number of Browning firearms over the past 40 years, I have seen the changes in locations where Browning firearms are manufactured and assembled.
In the case of shotguns, what were once manufactured in Herstal, Belgium, are now manufactured in Japan.  
While Japan is known for high quality products, the Belgian-manufactured products by Browning are held in higher esteem and, understandably, command a higher sale price.

Early Hi Powers were manufactured in Herstal, Belgium and stamped as such on the weapons' slides.

Later, when importation rules required the Belgium-built Hi Powers be stamped with the company of ownership (Browning Arms), this, too, appeared on the slides, with the "made in Belgium" below it.

As a cost savings, but still a division of the Browning Arms Company, assembly of the Belgium-manufactured Hi Powers was transferred to Portugal.  These slides indicate, "Made in Belgium" and "Assembled in Portugal" below.

Have there been any noted issues with Portugese-assembled High Powers in recent years.  There appears to be an inherent prejudice in these pistols, with the Herstal-built and assembled Hi Powers the preferred models.  Unfortunately, it is only the early military and commercial models and later "T" models which were assembled in Belgium.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

Rusty Musket

"Two wrongs  don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
All FN high powers have been assembled in Portugal since 1971 at their Portuguese FN facility. Browning only imports the FN pistol with their markings. In those 43 years, there has not been any issue with FN Portuguese assembly.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#2]
It's simply a matter of aesthetics........most collectors dislike having the "assembled in portugal" rollmark.

Just as S&W collectors detest the "lock" and Ruger collectors hate the "legal billboard".
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope no issues.

As far as I know, all MKIII BHP's do final assembly in Portugal.   I think the only exception is the rennesance.   But I might be wrong there.

The final assembly is not complicated at all, and their Portuguese have been doing it for years.

Other browning brands firearms are made outside of Belgium.  Actually, most are made outside of Belgium.   Japan, for example builds most of their shotguns and rifles.   Many are taking the bhp's cue and doing "made in japan, assembled in Korea" as Japan has grown very expensive for manufacturing.   Japanese Brownings are top notch as well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  They are very horrible in design and execution. Don't buy any more. So I can buy them cheap!

I just got one from AIM and I think they are amazing! Mine is a little beat up on the outside but fires very well!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#5]
As far as I've learned all FN Hi powers were moved to assembly in Portugal some time in the early 80s. All the Mark I I I pistols were assembled there, but not all carry the rollmark stating it. Some guys are hung up on thinking they're obtaining a Belgium made Hi Power because they possess mystical powers when they aren't roll marked Portugal. As far as I've read by Hi Powers aficionados all over the Web, some of the nicest examples carry the "Assembled in Portugal" graffiti. Frankly, I'm looking for a shooter with a cast frame to preserve my alloy and doesn't cost me $750+. If I was ultimately concerned about collector value I'd be hunting down a WWII example carrying the dirty bird or Inglis with a stock. Which, I do want but it's a pipe dream as of the present. For now I had no problem ordering an "inferior" Portuguese from AIM to satisfy yet another fix. It's an illness, and I have to take it one day at a time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:28:20 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW I just got a 1992 produced MK3 forged frame Hi power w/ matching numbers from Coles.  <500 bucks, slide reads "Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique", no Portugal roll marks

I believe these were isreali trade ins as there is a star of david near the trigger guard on the right side

Excellent value, excellent condition, am going to have it cerakoted and install night sights.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FWIW I just got a 1992 produced MK3 forged frame Hi power w/ matching numbers from Coles.  <500 bucks, slide reads "Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique", no Portugal roll marks

I believe these were isreali trade ins as there is a star of david near the trigger guard on the right side

Excellent value, excellent condition, am going to have it cerakoted and install night sights.  

View Quote

AIM has Portugal and Belgium MkIII's.  The Belgian made MkIII's typically were FN branded and for the military market.  I think the only exceptions were "renaissance" engraved guns brought over for Brownign were occasionally Belgian only.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

AIM has Portugal and Belgium MkIII's.  The Belgian made MkIII's typically were FN branded and for the military market.  I think the only exceptions were "renaissance" engraved guns brought over for Brownign were occasionally Belgian only.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be clear:
-All genuine Hi Powers were/are/always have been manufactured by FN of Belgium.....so they are ALL Belgian "made".
-The "Assembled in Portugal" roll mark is only applied to the Hi Powers that Browning Arms imports into the USA.
-All Hi Powers since the '70's receive some assembly in Portugal.
-There is no difference in quality or workmanship from those with the "Assembled in Portugal" roll mark and the identical model without that roll mark.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
^^^Tom is...of course, correct
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
^^^Tom is...of course, correct
View Quote

Right or wrong, AIM is advertising Belgian mkIIi's and Portugal MkIII's. Sounds like a rollmarks variation, nothing more.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

To be clear:

-All genuine Hi Powers were/are/always have been manufactured by FN of Belgium.....so they are ALL Belgian "made".

-The "Assembled in Portugal" roll mark is only applied to the Hi Powers that Browning Arms imports into the USA.

-There is no difference in quality or workmanship from those with the "Assembled in Portugal" roll mark and the identical model without that roll mark.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To be clear:

So mine was done in assembled there but was not destined for the US market so it lacks the assembled in Portugal roll mark

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So mine was done in assembled there but was not destined for the US market so it lacks the assembled in Portugal roll mark  
View Quote

If it's an FN Hi Power without the "Assembled in Portugal" roll mark........it just means it wasn't destined for importation by Browning Arms.

Although Browning Arms imported the vast majority of Hi Powers there were several others:
FNMI (FN Military Industries)
FNUSA
Cassi, Inc
Vector Arms
(sometimes you might see a "Browning S.A." rollmark, not to be confused with "Browning Arms")

Those who imported milsurp or police surplus include:
Kengs
Century Arms
and others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top