Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 8:18:56 PM EDT
I've been interested in getting a BHP for a long time and I've come close to ordering one from Cole's on more than one occasion. Well, I finally got one coming. It's an Izzy Police trade-in (star and y stamps), that appears to be a re-parked MKIII with ambi safety and a replacement barrel and slide. I went ahead and ordered a set of replacement springs from Wolff, some Mec-Gar mags from CDNN and some Pro-slims from VZ. I'll post pics when everything comes in

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been interested in getting a BHP for a long time and I've come close to ordering one from Cole's on more than one occasion. Well, I finally got one coming. It's an Izzy Police trade-in (star and y stamps), that appears to be a re-parked MKIII with ambi safety and a replacement barrel and slide. I went ahead and ordered a set of replacement springs from Wolff, some Mec-Gar mags from CDNN and some Pro-slims from VZ. I'll post pics when everything comes in

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/430003000/430003650/pix705260543.jpg
View Quote

Do yourself a favor and return the Wolff springs, they won't fit or function properly.. You will need to get some Browning made springs.

Nice gun!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Good looking gun OP. I have my first hipower on the way as well.

Is there a BHP 101 around here somewhere that runs down care and feeding and common issue resolution on these?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]
1911forum has a Hi Power subforum. It has a lot of knowledgeable users.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#4]
...and my temptation to give Mr. Cole a little more of my money grows stronger...
Nice looking HP, OP! Others here have had trouble with Wolff springs in theirs, but my FEG took them just fine and runs like a Singer. Won't fit a Browning sear spring, though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd never heard of the issue with Wolff Springs.....I'll bear that in mind when I get everything in. I'm not too concerned about being out any money on it - the service kit was less than $19 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do yourself a favor and return the Wolff springs, they won't fit or function properly.. You will need to get some Browning made springs.

Nice gun!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/430003000/430003650/pix705260543.jpg

Nice gun!

Mine fit and test function fine with 115g federal
ETA: FEG clone
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It's waiting for me at my FFL. Since he's by appointment only, it's just a matter of scheduling now
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Managed to beat the storm back to the house. Swapped grips, function checked (passed click test) and got a quick and dirty picture with her big brother.

I'm definitely going to be taking the mag disconnect out. It's already pissing me off

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Nice
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...and my temptation to give Mr. Cole a little more of my money grows stronger...
View Quote

This. I just took delivery of a Beretta 84BB from them, but i really think I should get one of those Israeli HP's before they're gone. Or maybe two.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This. I just took delivery of a Beretta 84BB from them, but i really think I should get one of those Israeli HP's before they're gone. Or maybe two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it

The gun is definitely not perfect, but it's exactly as described and in good shape. Decent re-park job, the bore is easily a B+ and bright. I just have 2 issues: 1) the slide/frame fit is a little loose, so when you pull the trigger you can feel/ see the slide torque to the left just a little. 2) Gritty trigger.

Gritty trigger can be dealt with one way or another....frame fit is mostly just my OCD. For an arsenal rebuilt service pistol, it's damn nice.

Oh yeah - Fuck Wolff Springs. Live and learn
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do it

The gun is definitely not perfect, but it's exactly as described and in good shape. Decent re-park job, the bore is easily a B+ and bright. I just have 2 issues: 1) the slide/frame fit is a little loose, so when you pull the trigger you can feel/ see the slide torque to the left just a little. 2) Gritty trigger.

Gritty trigger can be dealt with one way or another....frame fit is mostly just my OCD. For an arsenal rebuilt service pistol, it's damn nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it

Told you For whatever reason, I've only had bad luck with their HP springs.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, their recoil spring was a joke. It was a full inch longer than the one in the gun.Just for shits and giggles I tried putting it in - yea that wasn't happening. If I can't trust one spring in the kit, I can't trust any. Time to go Browning!

Just did an extended field strip and clean. In general there is quite a bit of grit and dirt in the gun that needs to be shaken out. My extractor was completely seized with dirt and cosmolene and the mag catch wasn't too much better.  Shot some lube up into the hammer mech and my safety lever engagement is a little less vague. I'm not quite brave enough to try and take that apart yet.

Pulled out the mag disconnect while I was in there and holy hell the trigger pull is 100% better.

After drying and reassembling I did some cycle tests with my dummy 9mm rounds and it seems to hand cycle fine. I also noticed the slide doesn't torque over when you pull the trigger if there's a loaded mag inserted (upward pressure from the mag spring).

I'm going to clean it a few more times over the next few weeks to try and shake out the rest of the Israeli sand. I'm also thinking about painting the recesses on the sights.

All-in-all I'm really happy with what I got.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top