Must resist....
View Quote

DOOO ITTTTT!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Came here to post this. Just got the email today
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:40:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Just curious if it was a good deal to get the MK3.  I paid extra for the handpick.  Any idea how much of a difference it makes?  I've read up a bit and it seem like CDI sales is a good route to go for a Hi Power.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just curious if it was a good deal to get the MK3.  I paid extra for the handpick.  Any idea how much of a difference it makes?  I've read up a bit and it seem like CDI sales is a good route to go for a Hi Power.
View Quote

Years ago I picked hand pick and got a literally new in box German P6 9mm.  My buddy got a P6 without and although the internals were great the finish was way worn.

In my case it made a big difference along with luck.   If I order anything from them and it's an option pick it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Just ordered one!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Not with those enormous, hideos import marks
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

+3
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

+3

Where are the marks?  I may be missing them on the iPad.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

+3

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's about the entire right side of the frame forward of the slide stop pin.

Why does century have to fuck up everything they come in contact with?  They put that huge stupid billboard on a bunch of P6's too.

For $20-30 more I'd rather pick out a nice one from coles without any import markings.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why does century have to fuck up everything they come in contact with?  They put that huge stupid billboard on a bunch of P6's too.

For $20-30 more I'd rather pick out a nice one from coles without any import markings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah I checked from the computer and saw it now.  Yeah that's kinda hideous.  Hell my P6 import is way smaller than that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Only 3 MkIII left in stock.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Only 3 MkIII left in stock.
View Quote

And they're gone.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Bought one of the pre-1963 ones on Friday. Forgot to press the handpicked option.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm looking right now and only pre-'63 is showing out of stock. Maybe some that were tied up sitting in shopping carts went back to inventory?

(No matter. I FO'd yesterday.)
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm looking right now and only pre-'63 is showing out of stock. Maybe some that were tied up sitting in shopping carts went back to inventory?

(No matter. I FO'd yesterday.)
View Quote

I saw the same thing.  I saw the Mk III out of stock early this morning and was kicking myself for not buying one.  I checked back a few hours later and it showed in stock so I ordered it, then showed out of stock again about an hour after that... we'll see if it was a glitch or if I actually get a Mk III
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a pre '63 on Friday.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Any recommendations on parts to replace on these guns?  I was looking to replace the the recoil spring from the get go but I'm not sure if I should replace all springs while I'm at it.  I've read its best to order the parts directly from browning.

Edit:
Found the following from Wolff
Service Pak Type I - Contains the following springs to replace weakened or broken springs, returning the pistol to original factory condition: recoil spring, extra power firing pin spring, extractor spring, hammer spring, safety plunger spring and magazine catch spring.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone got theirs yet? And how do they look? I am picking mine up on Friday.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone got theirs yet? And how do they look? I am picking mine up on Friday.
View Quote

Order Status: Pending
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Mine is processing. It was set on pending verification for a couple days and I emailed them to make sure that I did not need to resend a copy of my FOID and they emailed me back right away and said I was good and they were just a couple days behind. I was pleased with the quick reply and my order went to processing that evening. I am using one of the FFL's on their list so hopefully it will be an easy transition. Looking forward to seeing what kind of shape it is in when I get it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#26]
"Your order has shipped"

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Got my MkIII yesterday.  I selected Hand Pick.  Gun looks beat to hell....  Rusty grip screws, sights are dinged up, finish is 80% at best (though no pitting).

Function test comes tonight.  All internals and wear surfaces look great.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got my MkIII yesterday.  I selected Hand Pick.  Gun looks beat to hell....  Rusty grip screws, sights are dinged up, finish is 80% at best (though no pitting).

View Quote

This makes me sad.  Ordered the same exact thing.  Hoping I have better luck but won't know for a week as I'm out of town.  The agony...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pics?

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#30]
My pre1963 looks used but not abused. Internals are nice but the barrel needs to be cleaned. Love the trigger! So much nicer than my 1980 commercial. Help? 33XXX or Z33XXX is the serial number. Think that is FN's number? Because the databases I see start much higher like 60K
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:43:48 AM EDT
[#31]
MKIII report

Expectations: exceeded

I like a worn blued finish, but this finish is ugly - looks to have been painted over the original finish. More than once.
Internals look EXTREMELY well cared for. If the operator didn't love this weapon apparently at least an armorer did. Extractor spring feels very strong. Every internal part is clean and new looking.
Barrel lockup is excellent.
Frame to slide fit is loose. As the trigger is pulled and pressure is placed on the rocker-bar the slide lifts and tilts slightly (not enough to see it, but you can feel it). Maybe that's just a Hi Power thing (This is my first).
Despite the slide looseness the trigger feel is very good. It is heavy but quite crisp. Better than I expected.
Bore condition is very good. No, it's excellent. Bright. No pitting whatsoever. There is, however a 'ding' on the muzzle that is significant enough to merit a re-crown if for no other reason than it'll bug me if I don't.

Plans:
Before delivery I thought I'd probably just re-fresh it internally and leave the exterior battle-worn to preserve it's heritage. Now that I have it in-hand I'm thinking it deserves the works.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Mine wasn't bad, but I'm going to tear it down and refinish it with Graphite Black Cerakote.  Really nice internally and lots of external wear.  No rust or major gashes.  The barrel is really nice with no crown issues or pitting.  The magazine had some typ of reflective tape on the bottom.  Mine also had a lanyard stud.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Mine is in similar condition I would purchase one again in this condition.  A gun some else refinished not so much!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Century Arms? I hate you for that horrible import mark! Otherwise I think it is a good buy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Century Arms? I hate you for that horrible import mark! Otherwise I think it is a good buy.
View Quote

You know, there's another point right there. People are saying to me "Don't refinish it. Leave it original." but it's obvious that it was painted after import because otherwise there wouldn't be paint over the import markings. But I don't see any overspray anywhere. None on the tape, and the backstrap is bare steel. Strangely there are no exposed edges or corners anywhere - which you'd expect unless the finish was new-ish. I've heard a few people talking about the "parkerized finish". It isnt' parked, it's epoxy paint.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You know, there's another point right there. People are saying to me "Don't refinish it. Leave it original." but it's obvious that it was painted after import because otherwise there wouldn't be paint over the import markings. But I don't see any overspray anywhere. None on the tape, and the backstrap is bare steel. Strangely there are no exposed edges or corners anywhere - which you'd expect unless the finish was new-ish. I've heard a few people talking about the "parkerized finish". It isnt' parked, it's epoxy paint.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My doesn't look re-painted, (Pre-1963.) I am tempted to have it re-finished and see if the import mark disappears.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Waiting on mine to ship.   Just couldn't stand it any more.     Had to buy...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#38]
its epoxy coating not paint.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:21:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
its epoxy coating not paint.  
View Quote

You sound like a Glocker shouting "It's not plastic! It's polymer!"

Ps - I shot mine tonight for the first time. It runs great and is super cool. Maybe I WILL just leave it as-is.

Pps- I was wrong about the import marks - there is no paint/epoxy over them, it just held up well to the stippled lettering process.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I sold a few guns to buy these for my two boys.  What do they have?  The spur model has the serial number on the front of the grip, while the ring hammer is on the right side of the frame.  The chamber end of the barrels are different, and obviously one has a older safety.  Both serial numbers start with 245, and have matching SN on frame, slide, and barrel.

What's the significance of the difference between these, if any?

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I sold a few guns to buy these for my two boys.  What do they have?  The spur model has the serial number on the front of the grip, while the ring hammer is on the right side of the frame.  The chamber end of the barrels are different, and obviously one has a older safety.  Both serial numbers start with 245, and have matching SN on frame, slide, and barrel.

What's the significance of the difference between these, if any?l]
View Quote

No one can tell me about the rear of the barrel and what the difference is for? Manufacturing ease?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#42]
No one can tell me about the rear of the barrel and what the difference is for? Manufacturing ease?
View Quote

At some point around the time FN Herstal introduced the Hi Power in .40 S&W, around 1993 or early 1994, FN engineers in Belgium went thru the entire pistol and made a few minor changes to the frame, slide and barrel to improve reliabilty, durability and to simply save time and cost.  The most obvious change was the omission of the "barrel hood" extention (the small "nub" at the top/rear of the chamber) from all further new production of both models (9mm Para/.40 S&W).  The change in the frame material (cast vs the earlier forged-frame), heat-treatment (whole gun, including the slide), shortening the rear frame-rails on both models (due to cracking on the .40 S&W-model) were less obvious.  The change in both the full heat-treatment of the frame and slide, along with the "new" fully heat-treated cast-frame, really improved the durabilty and life-span of the Mk. III Hi-Power, especially in 9mm Para models post-1993/1994.  

As to why one of your Hi-Powers has an older-style hammer, there's no real answer.  Could have been replaced due to drop damage, FN had a few left over from a prior military contract, found in a bin on the second-floor in Portugal, who really knows.  I'd suspect the person originally issued the weapon simply liked it better for whatever reason and had an armourer replace it for him.  The original spur-hammer might have been chewing up the inside-liner of his jacket...........  As to the safety question, FN would build whatever the buyer wanted.  I'm sure the older-style single-side (flat) safety was both what the Israeli's requested and spec'ed, along with ditching the firing-pin safety, something they probably saw as unneccesary.  Just one man's opinion, YMMV.   Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Wonder what the deal with the reflective tape is.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wonder what the deal with the reflective tape is.
View Quote

"Good guy" ID for when they are carrying when not in uniform.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What's the significance of the difference between these, if any?

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g421/glenn_r1/BHP/102_zps3e4b8130.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g421/glenn_r1/BHP/105_zps71bf47d7.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g421/glenn_r1/BHP/104_zps8357ae65.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g421/glenn_r1/BHP/103_zps89482b70.jpg
View Quote

The bottom gun is a mix of older parts on a newer gun - the Commander style hammer and the small thumb safety.  The small thumb safety is actually not uncommon on Israelis.  All of them I have purchased had it, even the later MKIIIs.  As someone else noted, that is a post-1994 style barrel as well.  The Israelis carried in Condition 3, so my guess is they weren't all that concerned about the safety and wanted a slimmer profile (or didn't want to encourage users to carry Condition 1)

The ridge on the frame of the top gun tells me it is probably an early 1990s MKIII.  The ridge was only around for a short time period (the two letters after 245 in the serial number will tell you the exact date of manufacture)
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm late to the thead and they're all sold out now, but +1 on this.  With the Coles guns, you get several pics of the exact pistol you are buying, so hand pick is automatically built into his process.  Plus you get a description of the pistol in question and bore condition is described as well.  The only thing is, he has them listed variously as "High Power" or P-35 and maybe other ways as well, so you have to know what to search for, or plow thru all of his listings.

Upon arrival, the Mk III that I bought from Coles was spot on to his listed description.  Of course if you like surprises, or have low expectations to begin with, the AIM guns might be the way to go when/if they come back into stock.  Sarco and maybe also Royal Tiger had some too, or did.  Not sure about the import markings on those.

I can't help but wonder with the current unpleasantness, if there might be a few, or maybe quite a few, Israelis who would want those pistols back now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for all the info!  I appreciate it.

The spur hammer/MkIII safety gun is serial 245PN, which dates it to 1989.  The pistol with the older parts is 245NT, which dates to 1996 (according to Browning's website.

Neither of these has parallel grooves at the bottom rear of the magazine well.  Are they both likely forged?  Or could the '96 gun be cast without grooves?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info!  I appreciate it.

The spur hammer/MkIII safety gun is serial 245PN, which dates it to 1989.  The pistol with the older parts is 245NT, which dates to 1996 (according to Browning's website.

Neither of these has parallel grooves at the bottom rear of the magazine well.  Are they both likely forged?  Or could the '96 gun be cast without grooves?
View Quote

That makes sense as the mix-match gun has newer parts as well as older.  Look inside the grip frame for the casting mark (right hand side, it is big and obvious).  Usually a 1996 would have a grooved frame; but there are examples of cast frame guns with smooth frames.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#49]
This may not be the right thread for this but is there a way to modify this gun so that the mags will drop free? I know they have the mags with the springs on the rear but is there another solution?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This may not be the right thread for this but is there a way to modify this gun so that the mags will drop free? I know they have the mags with the springs on the rear but is there another solution?
View Quote

The easiest way is to remove the mag disconnect.  Since it is pushing to the rear, it tends to hold the mag in.  If you want to leave the mag disconnect in, grooving the contact surface of the disconnect and/or polishing it can help. Polishing the front of the mag will help a little too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top