Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2014 5:54:48 PM EDT
I need to have the slide on my MkIII stripped, refinished and a new set of sights installed.  I picked it up for a good price after the previous owner painted the slide OD green- I'm not sure whether it's Duracoated or Ceracoated but acetone and paint thinner didn't take it off.  I'd also like to have the sights replaced with some Novaks or something more user friendly.  Parkerizing is fine by me as is Ceracoating, I'd just like it to be something somewhat stock looking instead of OD green.  Any recommendations?    

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The beauty of Cerakote or Norrels is you don't have to hardly ever worry about it rusting!
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I want it ceracoated; it's hot here and I sweat.  I'd like to start carrying this gun but it looks too goofy with the OD green slide.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I want it ceracoated; it's hot here and I sweat.  I'd like to start carrying this gun but it looks too goofy with the OD green slide.
View Quote

Pick up a can of black engine paint at your auto parts store and paint it.  

Cheers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Hard chrome or black T
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you need your slide milled for sights or will you just swap sights?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll swap sights if I can but I don't mind paying for milling if I need to.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think what he is getting at is if you are going to refinish, get the slide milled for better sights prior to the refinish.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I sent it off to Novak today.  I'm going to have a set of their three dot sights added and they'll strip it and reblue it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I sent it off to Novak today.  I'm going to have a set of their three dot sights added and they'll strip it and reblue it.
View Quote

You you mind PM'ing me prices and lead times?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Most of their prices are on their website but they're supposed to email me with the total cost since I didn't know what type of paint was on the slide and what it was going to take to fix it.  I'll send you the prices once I get them though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top