Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 5:54:56 PM EDT
My boss has been considering selling his BHP and I've always been interested in them. He thought about having the LGS do it on consignment, but is going back and forth. His description of the gun...

"Browning Hi-Power Practical manufacutered in Belgium, assembled in Portugal in 1992. Pachmayr "Standard" grips with Browning Stag. Excellent condition 9mm with two original 13rd magazines, original case, and original owners manual.  No modifications."

and here's a picture.

Anyone know what it's worth? All I know is he bought it for a couple hundred bucks back in the day and it just sits in the safe. He's remodeling his house right now and every bit helps. What should I offer (if it's more than a decent rifle, what should I advise him to sell for)?

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Well how much do you like your boss?  That model isn't made anymore and is fairly desirable to many plus it seems to be in very good.  That said, $500 would be a great deal, and $600 most wouldn't blink an eye.  Some will come along and say $750ish or more, but not for me.  Will say you shouldn't/won't regret purchasing that one!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Although not super rare, that model is known as " El Capitan ", the captain. Two tone finish, round hammer, combat sights, probably made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal on the slide. 6 to 700 considering the rarity.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Offer $500.00  If he won't take it, send him to me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm I'll have to talk with him tomorrow.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Although not super rare, that model is known as " El Capitan ", the captain.
View Quote

Nope,
El Capitan's had a tangent rear sight.

That's a Practical.
They're still made but only in limited runs.  
Given that BHP's are imported in limited batches to begin with, Practicals are pretty few and far between.  

MSRP is actually less than a standard MKIII but I have no idea why.
Personally I like the look and would snap it up if given the chance.  I've just never seen one for sale in the wild.
If it's truly unfired LNIB I'd go $650-700
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, nice Practical. I agree with most here that it is in the $600-700 range.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go $800.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
While many here...quite understandably , wouldn't pay the "going rate", others do all the time...it's the "others" who determine the "going rate" . IMHO...as pictured/described, the "going rate" for such a Practical is every bit of $800. At $600, I'd be all over it...and I've already got 6 factory Practical's ranging from '90 through '04 .

As an aside...FWIW, there's no "El" in the tangent sight "Capitan"...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd go $800.
View Quote

That's what I would pay.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's what I would pay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go $800.

That's what I would pay.

$800 retail

$650 "buddy" price
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As an aside...FWIW, there's no "El" in the tangent sight "Capitan"...
View Quote

"El Capitan" @ Yosemite

Capitan

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Good one Tom
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Well considering he's your boss, he likely owes you a good deal!  Work him like a women of the night and move on!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#14]
1. Go to Gun Broker
2. Do a search on 'Browning Practical'
3. Be calm.. quality guns are expensive and are getting more so every day.

Unfired and perfect from a credible source?  $800 sounds about right.  If you had a successful business on Gun Broker, price would be more like $850 - $900 and that's before shipping and FFL fees.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

$800 retail

$650 "buddy" price
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go $800.

That's what I would pay.

$800 retail

$650 "buddy" price

That sounds about right. Depending on consignment fees, he's be looking at clearing $650 regardless after all is said and done.

Bought two Practicals in 2003, a .40 and a 9mm, both "used" but boxed and unfired with two mags each (13's for the 9mm). One customer brought both of them in.

Paid $499 for the .40 and $599 for the 9mm. Still got them and will never sell them. That was an nice time for HP's; I think the FN guns were still coming in, and the Browning pistols were hurting from the competition.

The gunshop was (and still is) was in the business of selling guns, not pricing them so high that they may as well be running a museum. Even then I knew that was a great price, and had the money to do the deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top