Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2014 9:59:35 AM EDT
I bought one of the alloy framed BHPs from AIM recently - removing the mag safety per the videos online took all of about 30 seconds (punch out pin, pull / toggle lever thingy, apply a little force to mag safety and it and the spring popped right out).

My father recently bought a steel framed BHP from cdisales. We tried the exact same approach.... for nearly half an hour. No matter what we tried, the bloody mag safety would not pop out.

What did we do wrong and/or is there some secret to removing some mag safeties?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#1]
An alternative to removing it is to glue it inplace.  Degrease the pin and area, apply a bit of epoxy under the safety and on the shaft, push it in as far as it will go and find some way to hold it in (not with a mag).  Let the epoxy harden, clean the area up, re-oil.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah.  I cant get the pin out of mine.  I'm not sure what the deal is.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah.  I cant get the pin out of mine.  I'm not sure what the deal is.  
View Quote

How much effort did you put into removing it?

We applied generous amounts of lubricant and plenty of effort trying to get it out.... that damned thing won't come out. On the plus side, it will fire now without a mag in it....
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quite a bit.  I'm talking about the pin that's in the trigger.  I was smacking it pretty good with a hammer and punch.  It didn't move.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quite a bit.  I'm talking about the pin that's in the trigger.  I was smacking it pretty good with a hammer and punch.  It didn't move.
View Quote

The pin that is in the trigger is tapered. You must hit it from the left toward the right.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The pin that is in the trigger is tapered. You must hit it from the left toward the right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now it's really in there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the same thing to a shotgun once.

Solution:

1. Buy some Kroil (or Aero Kroil).
2. Spray the pin with kroil.
3. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
4. Repeat 2 and 3 another 3 - 5 times.
5. Smack it with a pin punch (going from left to right)
6. If it moved easily, knock out the pin, if not spray it with more kroil and go back to #5.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.  I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#9]
For IP, i think that the trigger tripping lever is holding it in.  My hp had no pin for the mag safety but it still stayed in place.  Pull the trigger towards rear, then lift up on tripping lever against spring pressure, it should then pop out on its own.  Takes a good pull upwards to release it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok there are two methods of removal, one where on older models you can tap out the pin in the trigger and wiggle the shoe out.  The other method due to a design change can only be done by removing the entire trigger group via knocking out the pin in the side of the receiver and then removing the entire trigger assembly and only then can you pop out the shoe.

And it sounds like yours is the redesigned model.  Plenty of tape, heavy hammer and short stout punch to get it moving...some can be a bitch to get moving where others go relatively easy.  Punch ejection port side towards the other as it's tapered.

Also once apart inspect the trigger spring to determine if its a 2 coil or 3 coil trigger spring.  You want to have a have 2 coil trigger spring if not using a mag disco, trust me!  The 2 coil really helps with trigger rest and that's how the Browning was originally designed.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Throw it in a vice: After soaking it in penetrating oil, align one driver bit with the disconnect pin. On the other side, a piece of wood with a hole drilled for the clearance of the pin. Spin vice handle, pop pin out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The trigger is removed right?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The trigger is removed right?
View Quote

I doubt it, they are trying to remove it via the pin in the trigger which can be done on older HP's, not newer HP's which had a design change.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#14]
If he's not comfortable removing the trigger, he should not be pounding on the gun to begin with. The trigger should be removed so it can be placed on a bench block so that the proper force can be used.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Throw it in a vice: After soaking it in penetrating oil, align one driver bit with the disconnect pin. On the other side, a piece of wood with a hole drilled for the clearance of the pin. Spin vice handle, pop pin out.
View Quote

A similar method is to chuck a punch in a drill press, place the frame on a bench block and press down.  A short neck punch and an overnight soak in Kroil Oil will generally do the trick.

The trigger pins on some of those Mk III guns are really, really, REALLY stuck in there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks everyone. We finally got it out (drive it out from ejection port side to left hand side!). Trigger pull is smooth as silk now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top