Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 6:27:41 PM EDT
Hello, all:

I read a topic or two on this website and found the members to be very knowledgeable on the topic of the Browning Hi-Power.  I hope to be able to find out about the pistol I recently picked up, and possibly a decision on my dilemma.

So, a little about the firearm.  A collector in my area has opened up the doors to friends and family for some of his toys.  This particular BHP is a 1987 production, (according to the numbers I found online), produced in Belgium and manufactured by FNH, (according to what's printed on the slide).  It's still in packing grease, wrapped with cellophane, still in the box, and never been fired.  It has the GI-style sights on it like the GI 1911 models I've seen.  This collector also had the receipt from the dealer he'd purchased the gun from, as well.  He has had it out of the box to show a few people, but can confirm that it has never been fired.

Now, the wrinkle.

My father has fallen in love with the gun.  (Yeah, I should never have shown it to him... right?)  He's been a 1911 shooter of the .45 caliber for many years, and has carried the 1911 for personal protection since concealed-carry has been available.  To me, it's planned life will be a safe-queen - since, I don't have anything that falls into that category.  My father, well... he wants to carry it.  I'm kind of torn of what to do.

I'm told this gun is a sought after item by collectors.  Personally, I don't know if that statement is true, but a firearm that has never been shot for it's 25+ years of life sounds like a collectable.  Since I knew the seller very well, I feel as though I got it for a deal... although I have no idea what it's actually worth.  I also was the one who purchased my father's last 1911 that he absolutely loves, so I'm trying to use that as leverage to hold on to it.  Unfortunately, my father tends to be persistent when he wants something I have in my possession.

Does anyone have any clue what a firearm like this is worth?  I really don't.  There are some listings of it, but nothing that falls into this particular category.

Whatever information anyone can share with me, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks, in advance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it is collectable.  There are collectable variants from the 80's, but it would either be engraved, a unique finish, or be the rare target model.  The only "basic" BHP's that are collectable right now are the Mk III.40S&W models, as they just ceased production, and everyone is scrambling to get one.  I think that bubble will pop a little bit, but it's going the way of pre-70 Colt Commanders right now.

However, it IS desireable.  Particularly in it's NIB condition.

I'd value it at about what a brand new BHP sells for plus a few $$$.  So $900-$1200 tops.

I say carry it.  It's a great carry gun.  They are still making new BHP's, and there are millions of BHP's and clones out there.

He could always get a "shooter" grade BHP for about $600-$700 for a commercial MkIII in great condition, or $450 for a israeli military gun in good shape, and leave this one in the safe.  One day it WILL be worth a bit.  But not for a while.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think it is collectable.  There are collectable variants from the 80's, but it would either be engraved, a unique finish, or be the rare target model.  The only "basic" BHP's that are collectable right now are the Mk III.40S&W models, as they just ceased production, and everyone is scrambling to get one.  I think that bubble will pop a little bit, but it's going the way of pre-70 Colt Commanders right now.
However, it IS desireable.  Particularly in it's NIB condition.
I'd value it at about what a brand new BHP sells for plus a few $$$.  So $900-$1200 tops.
I say carry it.  It's a great carry gun.  They are still making new BHP's, and there are millions of BHP's and clones out there.
He could always get a "shooter" grade BHP for about $600-$700 for a commercial MkIII in great condition, or $450 for a israeli military gun in good shape, and leave this one in the safe.  One day it WILL be worth a bit.  But not for a while.
View Quote

BHP are just like the 1911 Colts and Cars, Age is the first factor almost mirrored by condition. A black box Hi-power from the mid-late 80s should be 900-1100. I have one unfired in the Black Cardboard with foam insert from this same time period I think.
Same gun from the 60-70s 1200-1500
Same condition NIB from the 50s/40s 1500-2k and a pre war NIB I am going to guess 2-3K+
FEG and Hi power copies are not Hi Powers, The best shooter guns I have found are Israel Military/police Hi Powers. Guns can be had for $500 or less usually and are made by FN.
I do like the look of the old internal extractor hi powers just looks good to me.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not a collectors model.  Since you can buy a new one for less than a grand which is pretty much the same gun with better sights and a warranty, it's probably worth maybe $800.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, everyone...

I knew that I could post here and get some answers.  Everyone is so knowledgeable and helpful.

As for my decision - I will let my father have it.  I'm not out anywhere near what anyone has posted for estimation of value of the pistol.  And, it's my father... after all.

The only reason I was treated so well on price was due to the fact that this particular collector is a good friend, and I've done work for him over the years.  My job for the past 20 years has been working in corporate-infrastructure technology... it's just a fancy way of saying I'm a computer-nerd for businesses.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's input on the subject.  And, I'm glad that I joined the forums to be able to share in the collective knowledge that floats around in here.

Thanks so very much, fellows of the AR-15.com forums.  Hope to be able to contribute one day to be able to help another out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:11:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks, everyone...

I knew that I could post here and get some answers.  Everyone is so knowledgeable and helpful.

As for my decision - I will let my father have it.  I'm not out anywhere near what anyone has posted for estimation of value of the pistol.  And, it's my father... after all.

The only reason I was treated so well on price was due to the fact that this particular collector is a good friend, and I've done work for him over the years.  My job for the past 20 years has been working in corporate-infrastructure technology... it's just a fancy way of saying I'm a computer-nerd for businesses.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's input on the subject.  And, I'm glad that I joined the forums to be able to share in the collective knowledge that floats around in here.

Thanks so very much, fellows of the AR-15.com forums.  Hope to be able to contribute one day to be able to help another out.
View Quote

Welcome!  Beer is in the fridge. Make yourself at home
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:22:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd keep that one as safe queen and find a shooter to enjoy with dad.
Here's a load of shooter FN Hi Powers from Israel:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?Sort=5&IncludeSellers=2621012
I sorted these from Highest $ to Lowest $ but go through all the pages and watch those you might interested in.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Wonderful gun, but it's worth what someone would pay for it as been said before.  For me I would have wanted to pay $600 or just north of that and not much more, others here are a bit generous I feel.  It would make a nice project pistol for sure, with a couple of up grades it would be a very nice piece.  Give it to pop's and find yourself an alloy HP and get it customized, then your dad's mouth with drop with envy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wonderful gun, but it's worth what someone would pay for it as been said before.  For me I would have wanted to pay $600 or just north of that and not much more, others here are a bit generous I feel.  It would make a nice project pistol for sure, with a couple of up grades it would be a very nice piece.  Give it to pop's and find yourself an alloy HP and get it customized, then your dad's mouth with drop with envy.
View Quote

If you figure an unfired 1980's BHP, in grease, in the box is worth about $600 you are rather severely out of touch with the current market.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you figure an unfired 1980's BHP, in grease, in the box is worth about $600 you are rather severely out of touch with the current market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it certainly isn't worth a grand as its not a collectable at this point in time, and it is still a used gun whether it has been fired or not, but you are certainly welcome to your opinion as I am and neither of us are out of touch with reality.  

Like I said it is perfect for the Skinnable's father and Skinnable should find himself a nice one to customize!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well it certainly isn't worth a grand as its not a collectable at this point in time, and it is still a used gun whether it has been fired or not, but you are certainly welcome to your opinion as I am and neither of us are out of touch with reality.  

Like I said it is perfect for the Skinnable's father and Skinnable should find himself a nice one to customize!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not a grand.. not a collectable.. but not $600 either.  Not really an opinion.  I spent a lot of time looking in the open market for a T series recently and saw a lot of current BHP prices.  Sorry to sound like a know it all.  No offense intended.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Hello again, everyone:

I didn't mean for anyone to get upset on a possible price-debate over the BHP I purchased.  As mentioned, I knew this person very well and feel as though I got it at a deal.  I'd also like to mention that I was raised by a car-salesman, so I like to haggle over the price of things - knowing well and good that I can walk away from something like this at any given moment.  My father... not so much... when he has his heart set on something.

So, (insert drum-roll here), I gave $450 for the gun.  I also did minor computer-work while on-site that day for this particular fellow first, so I used that as a bargaining-chip, as well.  In my opinion, I felt like it was a good deal in the moment.  What I did for my friend in computer-work took about 20 minutes to get him satisfied.  At that point, it wasn't hard to chip away at what he felt it was worth... as opposed to calling a computer-tech out to his home.  He's roughly 20 miles from the nearest town.  Like I told him, "Do the math, brother."

As for my purchase, I told my father that it was his as soon as I swapped springs, the hammer, and a set of grips... since he tends to like the ones with contoured finger-grooves.  (Intentionally procrastinating, but I'm also on a long-assignment until June - so, it has to wait.)  According to somewhere I've read, it will only take a time or two of getting chewed-up by the pointy-hammer to get upset.  And, since my father's hands are kind of "puffy" nowadays - I felt that the hammer would be a worthy investment.  Personally, I like the pistol - but, again... it's my Dad.  Since he got rid of his DAO S&W single-stack 9mm a couple of years ago, he's been looking for something to replace it.

If you can think of something else, LastRites - I'd appreciate the information.  Springs are just something I do when purchasing a used semi-auto... whatever the condition.  The folks at Wolff should be putting me on their Christmas-card list sometime soon.  But, either way... would appreciate any further thoughts.

Thanks to drobs for the link to the pistols.  Have had a lot of fun just looking at what's listed.  So, drobs... crack open a beer from matthardcore's fridge.  I'll clean up any mess you make this evening - so go nuts.

Again, thanks to everyone here for posting your thoughts on this particular BHP.  And, I hope to alleviate any further frustrations in reference to price, since I've posted what I paid.

Take care, everyone -
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Is it a late MKII or early MKIII? If its 1987 its probably a MKII, which were only made for 5 years. It is not the same as a new MKIII.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All you have to do is search gunbroker to get current values. A NIB Hi-Power MKII (or MKIII made prior to "assembled in portugal") is a $1000 gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Hello again, AR15.com:

I'd just like everyone to know that my father is tickled-to-death with the Browning Hi-Power.  I spoke with my folks this evening, and apparently my father has gone through a few hundred rounds already.  Thankfully, my mother is a .45-shooter and has plenty of ammo for herself.  As for the 9mm supply, it seems I'll be loading up a substantial amount more when I have the opportunity to get to their home.

Since I'd never worked with this particular firearm, I looked around online for a detailed video and found one from CelticArmory.  Very specific and detailed... I loved it.  Also, dropped an e-mail to the company and thanked the poster for it.

Most all of the grease was dried on the firearm as I disassembled it.  There was some minor rust-discoloration inside the handle / magazine-housing, but it cleaned up well with some elbow-grease.  Once everything was cleaned thoroughly and disassembled, I swapped the factory hammer with a Cylinder & Slide hammer-kit that included, hammer, sear, and springs.  The sear was a bit wide compared to the factory one, so I looked around for my mics and took measurements accordingly.  I probably could have just used the original sear, but felt... "what the hell"... I'm taking this much time, so I might as well go all out, right?  I shaped the new sear to roughly the original sear's dimensions since the safety was not able to engage otherwise.  I replaced all of the springs next.  Before re-assembling the firearm, I shaped the feed-ramp of the barrel a bit, as well.  It reminded me of some 1911's I'd worked with in the past that could only feed FMJs, and I knew my father would end up burning through whatever was at their house.  Once everything was re-assembled completely, I function-tested everything.

The next morning, I took the gun to fire-off a couple of magazines to make sure it was doing what it was supposed to be doing.  It shot very well at 25 yards to target.  Actually, it shot excellent.  That afternoon, I showed up to eat dinner with my folks and presented the gun to my father.  He got up from the table and said, "Let's go shoot it."  We proceeded to go behind their home, with my mother in-tow brandishing her weapon-of-choice, to have a little fun.

Just wanted to update everyone that all is complete with the BHP.  Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and ideas given in this post.  I appreciate it very much.

Oh yeah... BB... it's a MKII pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top