Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2013 3:38:19 PM EDT
So I had finally sent my cracked PF9 slide back to Keltec.  Customer service said one of their gunsmiths would look it over and have it back in a couple of weeks.  It was gone for a month or so.  No big deal on the time frame.

What I recieved back was a worn slide that appeared to have a new extractor and spring on it.  Out of 25 rounds, the gun extracted exactly one round!  I'm sure with a 2nd spring it will be fine but, WTF?  What "gunsmith" sends out a product that doesn't function at all?  I've stood by Keltec through all their issues but fuck this, I'm done.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I really liked the size of the PF9, but the first one started failing to extract after about 300rnds. Got a replacement through Davidsons, and just dealt the 2nd one away. Replaced it with a XDS, now thats gone under the recall. Go figure.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I mostly carry a xd45c.  An XDS will be replacing my PF9.  I'd rather take my chances with Springfield customer service if need be.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Picked up a PF9 a year or so ago, had it two months before I sold it to a guy who knew all about it's issues but wanted a project pistol that could double as his ccw . Anyway, first issue I had was the slide bent and would get hung up on the frame after each shot. Sent it in, got it back a month later, and maybe got 30 rounds off before the slide flew off because the take down pin had snapped. It's replacement was a Kahr CM9, which after break in has been flawless.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Picked up a PF9 a year or so ago, had it two months before I sold it to a guy who knew all about it's issues but wanted a project pistol that could double as his ccw . Anyway, first issue I had was the slide bent and would get hung up on the frame after each shot. Sent it in, got it back a month later, and maybe got 30 rounds off before the slide flew off because the take down pin had snapped. It's replacement was a Kahr CM9, which after break in has been flawless.
View Quote

Like I been sayin' ya'll, gotta love my Kahr's 44.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My CM9 is a FAR superior firearm to that PF9. I sir am a believer in Kahr .
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 2:57:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Same thing here.  My PF9 wouldn't extract after 100 rds or so.  Traded for a CW9 and prob have 500 rds throught it without ANY problems.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Figured I would throw my experience in here.

I have a PF9 that I got back in July(new).  I think it is fairly new build.

It has had maybe 500 rounds through it, with not a single hiccup.  It has eaten every type of ammo I've fed it, and I have no issues with carrying it.;

The only time it didn't fire was when I handed it to my father.  He pulled the trigger back and nothing happened.  Turned out he didnt expect the long trigger pull, and hadn't pulled it back more than 2/3ds of the way.   If it wasn't for the LONG trigger, I would not think about any other ccw pistol.  As it is, S&W Shield is where I will be putting my future money, but I will keep the PF9 (partially because it has crap resale value)

I think Kel Tec has gotten better about the QC of their guns.  As a whole, the company makes some awesome products.  Just seems they are too small to keep up with demand, and release some items before they should.

To OP, if sent in a gun with a broken slide I would be furious to get what you got back,  I would be done too.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Usually failure to extract on a pf9 is just because the extractor screw came loose. Just tighten it down and you're gtg.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I have about 300-400 rounds through mine and have not had any problems but this thread has got me thinking about selling it off.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Usually failure to extract on a pf9 is just because the extractor screw came loose. Just tighten it down and you're gtg.
View Quote

Yea, that's a critical part I shouldn't have to worry about coming loose. I had 2 PF9s. First one was okay but found a better slim 9, second one had peening issues on the slide which is a known random issue on heat treating they seem not to be able to control, so I just dumped it after getting it back from the factory.

I question if any actual "gunsmiths" are over there since every part is a drop-in.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]
My slide cracked after 300 rounds. Sent it back, had the slide replaced and sold it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, this is interesting. I have had mine for about 10 years now and it has been nothing but flawless since right out of the box. Maybe I'm just lucky but I wouldn't sell mine for 3 times what I paid for it. I carry it with complete confidense anytime my dress wont allow me to carry one of my much thicker Glocks of a 1911. Even a couple of my friends have them and I have never heard a single complaint from any of them. Most of them bought theirs after shooting mine. Can't say anything about their customer service simply because I have never neede it. I also own a PMR 30 and a Sub 2000 with the same results. All were purchased new. Every once and a while EVERYBODY puts out a lemon and the more they manufacturer the more lemons that make it out. There is no one single manufacturer that can claim they don't get out. I don't care who it is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I carried an early one as a duty backup because it was so light for its size.  Never had any issues at annual quals but never liked the trigger that is best described as marginally worse than a swingline stapler.  Some guy I worked with just had to have one and traded me straight up for a S&W M66... I still feel like I screwed him on the trade..
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm was told by KT CS that only on the 3rd time sent back to the factory does it actually go to their specialized gunsmith shop.

(The shop that actually has gunsmiths, not just people swapping the same parts out hoping for a quick fix)

Sucks because each trip took me 6 weeks each.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top