Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2017 9:55:09 PM EDT
I cannot get the front sight out of my P-09 it will not budge.  I have tried heating to 300°F, bigger hammer, and it just will not budge.  The front sight is pretty much fucked but that is ok I just need to get it out.  Any suggestions or advice is welcome.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Just looked at mine, did you remove the set screw?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes it had yellow FDE colored loctite on it and came out super easy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Got a good solid wood work bench that you don't mind nicking the top edge up on it?

Got a dowel rod that will fit into the barrel hole in the front of the slide?

Got a hammer?

Put the dowel rod down in the slide, put the back of the hammer over top/against the corner of the bench and wack the dowel rod with the hammer.

Be sure not to drop the slide.

Once it starts to move out of the slot in the slide just a little bit, you won't have to hit it so hard to keep it moving and finally get it out of there.

When you install the new front sight it may be pretty darn tight in the slit.  Don't sand/stone/file the sides of the front sight, instead, remove metal from the bottom of the front sight.  It won't take much.  But it's way easier to remove metal from the bottom of the sight (and not scratch the sides of the sight itself) than to remove metal from the sides of the sight that fits into the slot in the slide (BTDT).

Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
OP- my P09 was the same way....... Bigger hammer and a steel punch did the trick. You WILL ruin the sight.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP- my P09 was the same way....... Bigger hammer and a steel punch did the trick. You WILL ruin the sight.
View Quote
Tried the BFH method still not moving.  Currently freezing the slide in my freezer.  This bastard is not budging.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I really had to pound it out man......front sight was toast when i was done.
Luckily, the install went smooth.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I really had to pound it out man......front sight was toast when i was done.
Luckily, the install went smooth.
Good luck.
View Quote
I have pounded the ever loving Hell out of it the sight is toast but has not budged.  I talked to Micah at CGW and just going to send it to them.  I have done enough cursing and short of going thermonuclear and destroying my slide I think this is best course of action.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have pounded the ever loving Hell out of it the sight is toast but has not budged.  I talked to Micah at CGW and just going to send it to them.  I have done enough cursing and short of going thermonuclear and destroying my slide I think this is best course of action.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to hear about your friend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top