Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2017 11:55:19 PM EDT
I think I am ready to take the CZ plunge. I have been a SIG fan for a long time and was considering the P226 Legion. However, I have been reading great things about CZ, so maybe I will put that $1k towards a CZ instead. Which CZ has you drooling for about $1k or less? Pics would be great.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Cz shadow two-tone from custom shop. Look up one thread
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Any of the CZ 75 SP01 models.

I have the suppressor ready urban grey SP01 and really like it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:42:29 AM EDT
[#3]
550 FS   Got one, love it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Recently picked up a CZ P-09 suppressor ready with threaded barrel, tall night sights and two 21 rd mags. With four extra mags it will run about $750.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I like Sig pistol and Glocks I started with the 75BD and it was taken away from me when she really liked it so I bought myself a SP-01 Tactical.

Really comes down to first off polymer or metal frame?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like Sig pistol and Glocks I started with the 75BD and it was taken away from me when she really liked it so I bought myself a SP-01 Tactical.

Really comes down to first off polymer or metal frame?
View Quote

I think I have the polymer pistols covered with my Glock's and M&P's.

I think a steel/aluminum frame like the Sigs is what I am after, unless the poly framed guns are just so much better. I am also after a DA/SA gun with de-cocker.

So far based on recommendations I am leaning towards the SP-01 Tactical suppressor ready.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both a RAMI B in .40 S&W (apparently now discontinued) and a 97 B (California style) and really appreciate the feel/heft of the aluminum or steel frames compared to a polymer frame.  Not sure what to suggest.  At least you don't have to deal with roster limited choices.  Popularity, though, seems to make finding some of them tough.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm also looking for exactly what op described.

I've narrowed my search to these two:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

<a href="https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277150/IMG-0358-157387.JPG" target="_blank">https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277150/IMG-0358-157387.JPG</a>

<a href="https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277150/IMG-0359-157385.JPG" target="_blank">https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277150/IMG-0359-157385.JPG</a>
View Quote

Excellent choices.  I'd also throw a standard CZ 75 Compact into the list of choices.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
P09 from Cajun Gun Works
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
P09 from Cajun Gun Works
View Quote

Price? Why this one?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#12]
SP01 of any flavor. Shadow is a good choice, regular or Tactical with Cajun parts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Price? Why this one?
View Quote

It is a polymer frame CZ that uses the Omega trigger setup.  Good pistol but if you are wanting a metal frame the 75/SP01 is what you seek.

SP-01 gets you a few things over the 75:  front cocking serrations, accessories rail, front and rear strap checkering.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It is a polymer frame CZ that uses the Omega trigger setup.  Good pistol but if you are wanting a metal frame the 75/SP01 is what you seek.

SP-01 gets you a few things over the 75:  front cocking serrations, accessories rail, front and rear strap checkering.
View Quote
The biggest difference is the ergonomics of the beavertail and the full length dust cover. SP01 is upswept to get your hand high and the accessory rail like you mentioned is a few extra ounces of steel out in front.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#15]
SP01, the others will follow
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
SP01, the others will follow
View Quote

Why do I believe you?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277150/IMG-0358-157387.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277150/IMG-0359-157385.JPG
View Quote

I had a a CZ 75B much like the stainless one showed above, except it was the high polished version instead of the matte finish one shown here. Of these two I'd go for the matte stainless.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am leaning towards the SP-01 Tactical suppressor ready.
View Quote

You are leaning correctly. 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think I am ready to take the CZ plunge. I have been a SIG fan for a long time and was considering the P226 Legion. However, I have been reading great things about CZ, so maybe I will put that $1k towards a CZ instead. Which CZ has you drooling for about $1k or less? Pics would be great.
View Quote

I'm going to diverge (slightly) from what many seem to be saying here, and suggesting perhaps you start with a black or matte stainless CZ-75B, CZ75 SA, or CZ-85/CZ-85B rather than the SP-01 if you go with a metal framed CZ. None of them are "bad" choices, but having owned both a 75B (stainless-"high polish") and an SP-01 Tactical, I don't think I would *probably* buy an SP-01 again, while I certainly would buy another 75B variant again. For me I felt the extra weight on the SP-01 simply was more of a hindrance than a help. It certainly does have improvements that standard 75Bs don't have, like checkering on the frontstrap and backstrap, beveled magwell, front cocking serrations, a rail for those who need one, etc.but again I felt for my own purposes that gun was just too heavy for what it was. Plenty of guys love and swear by them though, and if the added weight doesn't bother you, you might like the inclusion of the added features.

The standard 75B pistols don't have the newer stuff like serrations or checkering on the front or rear strap or mag well bevel, but I personally still like the way those guns handle better overall because the weight is noticeably lighter. Generally the 75Bs run less money than the SP-01s (except for the stainless 75Bs).

I wish I could give firsthand experience about the polymer CZ-P-07 and CZ P-09, but I haven't shot or owned any unfortunately. P-07s and P-09s seem to have a pretty solid reputation generally speaking, and many here own or have owned them. They do seem to be cheaper than the steel frame CZ pistols so there is that, but the factory P-07/P-09 mags (for now) are more expensive than plain jane 75B mags.

One last thing I would personally suggest: DO NOT spend $1000 or more on your first CZ 75 pistol right off the bat by buying a Shadow or some custom gun. Give the less expensive, more basic CZ-75 or SP-01 models a chance first, and see what you think about the factory triggers/pull weights/resets/safety levers, etc. after shooting the gun a while. If you really hate all of that stuff on the more basic guns, you should ask yourself whether you think it's really worth it to spend a lot more money on something like a Shadow, in the hopes that you *might* like that gun a lot more, or even a little more. Just something to think about, that's all.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I jsut joined the CZ club, But I went with the P07.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#21]
SP-01  It was my 1st, 4yrs and 5 CZs ago.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm going to diverge (slightly) from what many seem to be saying here, and suggesting perhaps you start with a black or matte stainless CZ-75B, CZ75 SA, or CZ-85/CZ-85B rather than the SP-01 if you go with a metal framed CZ. None of them are "bad" choices, but having owned both a 75B (stainless-"high polish") and an SP-01 Tactical, I don't think I would *probably* buy an SP-01 again, while I certainly would buy another 75B variant again. For me I felt the extra weight on the SP-01 simply was more of a hindrance than a help. It certainly does have improvements that standard 75Bs don't have, like checkering on the frontstrap and backstrap, beveled magwell, front cocking serrations, a rail for those who need one, etc.but again I felt for my own purposes that gun was just too heavy for what it was. Plenty of guys love and swear by them though, and if the added weight doesn't bother you, you might like the inclusion of the added features.

The standard 75B pistols don't have the newer stuff like serrations or checkering on the front or rear strap or mag well bevel, but I personally still like the way those guns handle better overall because the weight is noticeably lighter. Generally the 75Bs run less money than the SP-01s (except for the stainless 75Bs).

I wish I could give firsthand experience about the polymer CZ-P-07 and CZ P-09, but I haven't shot or owned any unfortunately. P-07s and P-09s seem to have a pretty solid reputation generally speaking, and many here own or have owned them. They do seem to be cheaper than the steel frame CZ pistols so there is that, but the factory P-07/P-09 mags (for now) are more expensive than plain jane 75B mags.

One last thing I would personally suggest: DO NOT spend $1000 or more on your first CZ 75 pistol right off the bat by buying a Shadow or some custom gun. Give the less expensive, more basic CZ-75 or SP-01 models a chance first, and see what you think about the factory triggers/pull weights/resets/safety levers, etc. after shooting the gun a while. If you really hate all of that stuff on the more basic guns, you should ask yourself whether you think it's really worth it to spend a lot more money on something like a Shadow, in the hopes that you *might* like that gun a lot more, or even a little more. Just something to think about, that's all.
View Quote

Thank You for the well thought out response. I will take this into consideration when purchasing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't want to take your well-thought advice and just distill it down to only part of your argument, but...

The SP01 is just as heavy as a 9mm 1911 or a steel Sig 226. It's 6oz heavier than an alloy Legion or a hi-power.

The new CZ 75 Omega is essentially the SP01 frame without the full length dust cover, and with convertible safety/decocker you can get the best of many CZ offerings, but the Omega system is a different gun than the classic 75/75B models.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a question. I was thinking about getting the DA/SA with de-cocker version of whatever model I choose. However, in looking through the CZ pics it appears a vast majority are the SA only. Is the SA version more popular than the DA/SA version in your opinion?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a question. I was thinking about getting the DA/SA with de-cocker version of whatever model I choose. However, in looking through the CZ pics it appears a vast majority are the SA only. Is the SA version more popular than the DA/SA version in your opinion?
View Quote
There are only a handful of SA guns. What you're seeing is the oddity of the 75 action.

It's DA/SA, but the safety only works with the hammer cocked.

For DA you have to manually lower the hammer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There are only a handful of SA guns. What you're seeing is the oddity of the 75 action.

It's DA/SA, but the safety only works with the hammer cocked.

For DA you have to manually lower the hammer.
View Quote

Thank you for clarifying. CZ does make DA/SA guns with a decocker though, correct?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thank you for clarifying. CZ does make DA/SA guns with a decocker though, correct?
View Quote
Yes. 75BD, P01, SP01 Tactical are all popular ones. Most Omega guns are actually convertible between a safety or a decocker, but not all, so be careful when purchasing. All P07s and P09s are Omega guns even if they don't have the Omega symbol and are convertible. Older 75 Omegas are not convertible, but the current model is.

CZ models can be confusing, especially when guns are made for other markets but sold on the US. There could be four guns that say CZ 75B Compact on the roll mark. One could have a steel frame, short dust cover (no rail) and safety, one is an alloy frame with a rail slot and decocker (P01), one is an alloy frame, no rail and a decocker (PCR), and one is a steel frame, no rail, and a decocker (75 BD Compact).
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went this route when I jumped into the CZ world because I prefer a decocker to a safety.  I started with a 75BD and she took it away so I got myself a SP-01 Tactical.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#29]
If you're getting a big cz like a sp01, consider a tanfoglio.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks. Can you provide more details?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes. 75BD, P01, SP01 Tactical are all popular ones. Most Omega guns are actually convertible between a safety or a decocker, but not all, so be careful when purchasing. All P07s and P09s are Omega guns even if they don't have the Omega symbol and are convertible. Older 75 Omegas are not convertible, but the current model is.

CZ models can be confusing, especially when guns are made for other markets but sold on the US. There could be four guns that say CZ 75B Compact on the roll mark. One could have a steel frame, short dust cover (no rail) and safety, one is an alloy frame with a rail slot and decocker (P01), one is an alloy frame, no rail and a decocker (PCR), and one is a steel frame, no rail, and a decocker (75 BD Compact).
View Quote

Thank You for the information. I will definitely be sure of what I am buying.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I suggest trying to get your hands on a standard frame and an SP01 frame (of pretty much any flavor) before buying. Like the other poster said, I also prefer the feel of the standard frames significantly over the SP01 frames. It's just about personal preference though. I owned a plain SP01 and an SP01 Shadow Target for a while. In the end, sold them both. My favorite pistol (of any make/model) by far is a CZ75 SA (Single Action Only). I have three of them, two of which I've never even shot. I use my first one with a Kadet kit by far more than any other firearm, it's just a joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I suggest trying to get your hands on a standard frame and an SP01 frame (of pretty much any flavor) before buying. Like the other poster said, I also prefer the feel of the standard frames significantly over the SP01 frames. It's just about personal preference though. I owned a plain SP01 and an SP01 Shadow Target for a while. In the end, sold them both. My favorite pistol (of any make/model) by far is a CZ75 SA (Single Action Only). I have three of them, two of which I've never even shot. I use my first one with a Kadet kit by far more than any other firearm, it's just a joy to shoot.
View Quote

Thank you for the information. I will try and get my hands on both before buying. I may end up liking one over the other.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I had a a CZ 75B much like the stainless one showed above, except it was the high polished version instead of the matte finish one shown here. Of these two I'd go for the matte stainless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277150/IMG-0358-157387.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277150/IMG-0359-157385.JPG

I have the satin and polished.  
Well and a p01 and p01 compact.
Out of those my favorite is the Statin Stainless.    
OP you should get the Satin Stainless if you are to follow us to Alderan.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tanfoglio are Italian cz "clones" that are nicer than most cz's.  Don't get the budget polymer etc ones though.

Match, limited and stock variants are the good ones that are not super expensive.

CZ's are still good and tanfoglio doesn't really have any interesting compacts, but if you want a big full size gun like an sp01 you might be able to find a tanfoglio for ~20% more.

Etc
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't want to take your well-thought advice and just distill it down to only part of your argument, but...

The SP01 is just as heavy as a 9mm 1911 or a steel Sig 226. It's 6oz heavier than an alloy Legion or a hi-power.

The new CZ 75 Omega is essentially the SP01 frame without the full length dust cover, and with convertible safety/decocker you can get the best of many CZ offerings, but the Omega system is a different gun than the classic 75/75B models.
View Quote

I don't know about a 9mm 1911...it's been awhile since I've owned any 1911, so I can't remember exactly how much the weight felt like in relation to the SP-01 I had. I do have to admit also, I have never shot or handled an all-steel SIG P226, only alloy frame versions....I honestly don't know what I would think about an all-steel P226 in terms of weight/handling.... for all I know, I might consider one of those to be too heavy also. What I can tell you with certainty is, doing some speed shooting one day on the range, I went from drawing/shooting an SP-01, to doing the same with an alloy framed Beretta 92 and alloy framed REX ZERO 1, and both of them felt substantially lighter to me than the SP-01 did....substantially lighter. I don't doubt plenty of skilled shooters, competitive or non-competitive, have practiced well enough, often enough, and for long enough that they have learned to make the additional weight of the SP-01 (that is, the added additional weight over the original CZ-75) work for them, and not against them, but I had a tough time with that gun, and I just had a much easier time with the CZ-75B which was noticeably lighter to me.

That's just me though, and this stuff is very subjective of course (not the actual weights in oz and lbs themselves, but I mean what a person considers to be "heavy"  and "light").

The CZ 75 Omega as you pointed out is another option the OP might be interested in. I'd also thought I'd heard that the SP-01 Phantom was being released again, but I'm not sure on that one?

*Edit* Yeah  guess the SP-01 Phantom is being released again http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-phantom-2017-update/
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

After a lot of though and research that's the same conclusion I came to. The SP01 is certainly nice, but I went with the 75B omega and couldn't be happier. It's a very nice gun, shoots great, reasonable weight and very decent stock trigger. I actually took it to a smith with the thought of having it upgraded and he wouldn't touch it. Said it was very nice and really not worth it. Can't really say it's better or worse than the normal 75b, but I'd be happy to have any of them.

If you want to spend more, get this one.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top