Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2017 6:38:11 PM EDT
Years ago I owned a PCR, then foolishly sold it to fund something else that I don't remember.

I'm thinking about getting one of the aluminum framed CZs again, and am wondering, other than the rail, are there any substantive differences between them?   I know that the NSN number thing on the P-01 is mostly advertising hyperbole, but CZ does mention better metallurgy for the P-01.  Seems odd that they would use a different alloy on the P-01 then on the PCR.

Any light to be shed on this?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
P-01 is forged, and the PCR is cast. I have the P-01 and it's my EDC and I'm absolutely in love with this pistol.

Was at the range today with 2 new shooters and the husband of the two shot the P-01 best , even better then he did shooting my 75B.

I have never shot a PCR but I would have been just as happy with it if I didn't buy the P-01 I believe.
A guy next to me at the range today was shooting a P-09 and he loved his CZ also. I think my next CZ will be a P-07, soon :) 
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
P-01 is forged, and the PCR is cast. I have the P-01 and it's my EDC and I'm absolutely in love with this pistol.

Was at the range today with 2 new shooters and the husband of the two shot the P-01 best , even better then he did shooting my 75B.

I have never shot a PCR but I would have been just as happy with it if I didn't buy the P-01 I believe.
A guy next to me at the range today was shooting a P-09 and he loved his CZ also. I think my next CZ will be a P-07, soon :) 
View Quote

You made me look that up

I have found  different stories

Guy called CZ they say all the aluminum frames are forged

Guy said he called CZ-USA. He was told the PCR was cast and the P01 was milled from an aluminum block (sounds like a billet)

Who knows. I know the 75's are cast and last forever.  I am sure my PCR will outlast me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Forged P-01 right from the horses mouth.....P-01 forged and Forged PCR frame

According to CZ both the PCR and the P-01 are both forged, my bad, but good to know.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]
No idea on cast vs forged but besides the rail, there are some small differences.  Triggers are different, P-01 has a black recurve trigger and the PCR has a serrated silver one. I don't care for either, but they're easy to change (I like the 85 trigger).  

The slide stops are different, the P-01 has a longer and lower profile one and it doesn't stick out so far on the right side either.  I changed the stop on mine to the P-01 type, I like the lower profile and the added length makes it easier for me to reach without changing my grip. Rear sights are different, the PCR has a more snag free design. PCR has a loaded chamber indicator. The mags have different floor plates too, at least mine did. Same mags, just the bases were diferent. I don't remember which was which, but I think my P-01 came with rubber floor plates and my PCR had flat metal ones. Again, could have been the other way around though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Gents, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Have a friend who has both. Personally I would go with the PCR unless you have a use for the rail. I don't think you're going to go wrong either way though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a PCR, now have the P-01.  Gave the PCR to my son and he and his wife love it.  Couldn't get used to the funky slide cut for the PCR rear sight but that's just me. P-01 conceals well and shoots great as does the PCR. Both are good but the the P-01 is gooder IMO.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been looking for a PCR, they are hard to find in my area.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Had a PCR, now have the P-01.  Gave the PCR to my son and he and his wife love it.  Couldn't get used to the funky slide cut for the PCR rear sight but that's just me. P-01 conceals well and shoots great as does the PCR. Both are good but the the P-01 is gooder IMO.
View Quote

Same here... and I didn't care for the loaded chamber indicator as well. But my 97B has the chamber indicator and it's growing on me a little bit. The PCR is a nice pistol for sure though and I wouldn't hesitate to carry one if a P-01 couldn't be sourced. My brother has the PCR as his EDC and I do the same with my P-01. We train together a lot, shoot IDPA, steel silhouette courses, etc... So I have thousands of rounds thru my P-01 and 500 or so thru his PCR. To me, and to my brother; the PCR has noticeably more recoil. If I had to put a percentage on it we both agreed the PCR recoils about 10-15% more than my P-01 using same brand and weight ammo in stock configuration. Exchanging the 14# recoil spring for a Wolff 16# spring was in order. Reliability was not affected. However, this PCR still has more perceived recoil over my P-01 though noticeably less than before the spring swap. We are not recoil sensitive by any means... however rounds back on target after each shot is affected slightly due to the extra muzzle flip of the PCR. It's Minimal I know.... But I'm always faster at dumping rounds into the target than he is consistently. It might have to do with the reduced frame weight of the PCR over the P-01 it might not. Just a observation, putting it out there for the OP to weigh in. Both pistols are are superb carry pieces and as said previously I wouldn't hesitate to carry a PCR! Another point of thought; if you think you even remotely might ever want to attach a light then having the rail is nice. I don't run a light on mine personally. Lastly, CZ factory (non night sights), while very usable, leave a bit to be desired. I promptly swap them out to Tru-Dot Tritiums asap. And I find that VZ "Diamondbacks" for my carry piece and "Cherry Frags" for my home defense SP-01 make these pistols as close to complete perfection as I've found in my 25 years of shooting and carrying firearms. Just a few of my observations OP. YMMV. Below are my (3) CZ's and the PCR is my lil' bro's... Enjoy the pics! Hope this helps OP!

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

... and I didn't care for the loaded chamber indicator as well.
View Quote

Ahhh.  Forgot about the LCI.  Mine came out and I couldn't find the spring.  Called CZ and had a new LCI in 3 days.  Used blue Loctite to keep the new one in. I love CZs and would have no problem getting another PCR...... if the P01 didn't exist.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#11]
The P01 is slightly heavier and balances a little differently in your hand than the pcr.  Both shoot about the same for me, which is absolutely lights out.  It really boils down to whether you want to mount anything to a light rail, or not.  The pcr feels more svelte, but with a good holster and belt, both carry about the same.  I couldn't decide and bought both.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]
accidental double posty delete
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The problem is finding either one in stock
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#14]
This is always the case with CZs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#15]
For what it's worth, Dave from Cajun Customs considers the PCR to be his favorite carry pistol.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/91194-pcr-9mm-pro-package-946-00/

Can't go wrong with either, but unless you're set on mounting a light or laser for CCW, I'd opt for the PCR.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Got my  PO 1 at, keelyarms.com Fast shipping, and he has 2 PO 1'S in stock, 14rd mags.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ahhh.  Forgot about the LCI.  Mine came out and I couldn't find the spring.  Called CZ and had a new LCI in 3 days.  Used blue Loctite to keep the new one in. I love CZs and would have no problem getting another PCR...... if the P01 didn't exist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... and I didn't care for the loaded chamber indicator as well.

The "LCI", as well as the weird and goofy rear sight cut is what gets me too. Also, the P-01 has a thicker/slightly wider-beefier frame, (which I like to be honest!) I like having the option to mount a light in case I want to slap a TLR-1 on it for home defense too. Tis better to have and not need than need and not have mindset and all. Lastly and least importantly, the P-01 looks better. There is something to be said about that. For me guns are like girls... They have a certain sex appeal about them. The PCR is like a girl with a cleft chin in my opinion... YMMV!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been looking for a PCR, they are hard to find in my area.
View Quote
So you live on planet Earth then?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my CZ's. For a EDC, definitely PCR.

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#20]
The PCR is my daily carry. I haven't shot a P-01, but I don't need nor want a rail. I guess it's personal preference, but I've owned a plethora of handguns and the PCR is the one I almost always carry. I guess the biggest downside would be the sights. If I'm carrying at night I'll usually take my Glock 19 with Trijicon night sights. At some point I'll send the PCR in to get a set of night sites. I guess it all comes down to personal preference, but the reason I chose the PCR over the 19 was its ergonomics. The handgun feels much more comfortable to carry as its slide is shorter and the whole design is better contoured for carry. In comparison, the Glock feels like a brick and jabs me in all the wrong ways. I don't know how the P-01 fairs, but I really  like the minimalist design of the PCR and it honestly disappears in a good holster.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The PCR is my daily carry. I haven't shot a P-01, but I don't need nor want a rail. I guess it's personal preference, but I've owned a plethora of handguns and the PCR is the one I almost always carry. I guess the biggest downside would be the sights. If I'm carrying at night I'll usually take my Glock 19 with Trijicon night sights. At some point I'll send the PCR in to get a set of night sites. I guess it all comes down to personal preference, but the reason I chose the PCR over the 19 was its ergonomics. The handgun feels much more comfortable to carry as its slide is shorter and the whole design is better contoured for carry. In comparison, the Glock feels like a brick and jabs me in all the wrong ways. I don't know how the P-01 fairs, but I really  like the minimalist design of the PCR and it honestly disappears in a good holster.
View Quote
Helluva 1st post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top