Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2017 10:17:54 PM EDT
Got this about a month ago, or so.  

Been meaning to start working on it but didn't until Thursday.  Finished it this morning.  Well, finished it to this point.  CZ 75 Compact with some modifications/additional parts.

I might be safe in saying there are none others like it.  What do you think.

Not sure if the pics will be right side up or not.  Photobucket is inconsistent these days.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]
A compact with what looks like CZ85 controls and a spur hammer, I didn't know you could do that without some extra frame modification or something.  Neat
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
You are the first person, on a couple different gun forums to notice the mods.  Thank you.

Yeah, I bought a Pre B CZ 85 last year and I really like it but it's a big on the long/large side for concealed carry.  I've been wanting to do this for awhile.

I got the CZ 85 slide release (both sides) from CZ Custom.  I think I got the ambidextrous safeties from them, too.  I got the spur hammer from CZ USA.

I did a lot of measuring, re-measuring, comparing, complete tear downs, etc. prior to starting the job.  

The same spring that holds the left side slide release in the frame holds the right side in, just like on a CZ 85.

The same spring that holds the left side safety in also holds the right side safety in, just like on a CZ 85.

You just have to drill the right sized holes in the right side of the frame and the right side of the sear block, to accommodate the right side controls.

Also takes a little bit of opening them up, slowly, with lots of fit tests, to get them just right, when you're doing it in the garage on a drill press.  The holes have to be straight and true.

The right side of the frame does not have the little position lock for the right side safety, like the CZ 85 has.  I reasoned (hopefully correctly) that 1911's don't have that either and ambidextrous safeties work fine on them.  I bought a carbide burr to make the circular cut in the right side of the frame (not a hole, just a cut part of the way into the frame) for the tab on the right side safety to move in.  Then I decided I'd just remove the tab and try it (once again influenced by 1911 ambidextrous safeties).  The way the CZ safeties fit together inside is every bit as robust as the 1911 types.  If I find, in the future, that I need that feature I can still order another right side safety (the tumbler style) and make that cut (with a suitable amount of measuring/marking prior to spinning the burr).

The biggest issue of this project, so far, was fitting the safety to the sear.  That hammer has almost no full cock hooks at all (shallowest full cock notches I've seen on a CZ 75 hammer).  That would not let the arm on the front of the sear move up high enough to clear the "bump" on the shaft of the left side safety to allow it to move into the SAFE position.  I needed to make sure I didn't take off too much so I very slowly stoned the "bump" with regular stops to wipe it off and test fit it for function.  I kept count.  It took me 24 time of inserting the left side safety, trying it, pulling it out, stoning a little material off, cleaning it up and reinserting it for another function test before I finally got it right.  

I really have only one more thing I want to do to it.  I want to file/sand off the front of the trigger guard to make it look even more like a Pre B CZ pistol.  Then I'll go ahead and drill a small indention in the right side of the frame for the red dot that shows the safety is in the FIRE position.  Then I'll have to send it off to be cerakoted since I'll have removed the finish (along with some metal) on the front of the trigger guard.

It was fun (with some aggravation mixed in with it.

I did not touch anything in the pistol to a stone except the safety, while fitting it to the sear.  The SA trigger pull is 3 lbs. but so crisp it feels like it's lighter than that.  You can feel it stop, when the trigger pull has lifted the firing pin block up out of the way and it's about to release the hammer, then it drops the hammer without anymore movement that you can feel.

Just need to get it to the range now and fire it to see how it shoots and make sure it's gong to work correctly.  

The safety will not go to SAFE when the hammer is down.  The pistol will not fire with the safety in the SAFE position.  With the safety in the SAFE position you can pull the trigger very hard several times, then move the safety to FIRE and the hammer does not drop to half cock.  All of that seems to be working just fine.

I ordered an adjustable sear from CGW but didn't wait to put it in.  I figured I could use it if the fitting of the safety to the original sear didn't work.

I love the feel/control features of the CZ 85 and now I have a CZ 75 Compact with those features.  Thumb cocking that spur hammer reminds me of the 1911's, too.

Good eye for detail.  Like I said, so far, you're the only one that notices the CZ 85 features.

I've got pictures of the frame/sear after I worked on them but before the pistol was assembled if you want me to post them here.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
He's not the only one to notice, just the only one to comment on it

Please post up your frame mod pics. I'm not seeing 85b models anywhere and settled for a 75b. It's a nice shooter but an ambi safety would be nice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
CZ makes 75's with ambidextrous safeties, the full size models anyway.  That's with the old style firing system parts.  They have also begun to make the full size and at least one compact - the P01, with the Omega firing system.  If they'd have been making the CZ 75 Compacts with the Omega system I sure would have bought one of those, but so far CZ hasn't made any of them.

I hear CZ has quit making the 85's.  They don't show up on the CZ USA web site anymore.

Frame pics and sear cage pics.

Right side slide release hole.

Right side thumb safety hole.

Sear cage, drilled on the right side for the right side safety to insert into it.  Left as much as I could in the middle to better support the shaft of the left side safety.

Well, photobucket isn't working right now.  I'll check again later and post the pics then.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Got it to the range yesterday.

That trigger is just amazing.  I've done no polishing on anything but the thumb safety so it will engage the sear and everyone says CZ's just get better as they wear in.  So it ought to be really good after a few more boxes of ammo, or more dry firing.  I did put the CGW tempered firing pin retaining pin in it but I also bought some snap caps, too.

Shot decent groups with my 115 grain hollowpoint reloads.  It shot better groups with my left over 147 grain hollow point reloads (left over from the M&P days) than I'm used to seeing from the CZ's.  It fed/chambered/fired/ejected every round regardless of bullet weight/style.

I'm happy with it so far.  Need to go back with it when I'm not so tired/sore (been installing kitchen cabinets, after removing the old ones for the last 5 days and it's whipped me pretty bad) and see what I can do with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top