Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2016 6:26:04 PM EDT
Took my new SP-01 Tactical out to the range for the first time today.  Tried to put around 300 rounds through it and had 50+ malfunctions.  They were all identical FTF malfunctions.  The ammo I was using was aguila 115gr.  I have probably around 10,000 rounds of this ammo through the rest of my 9mms including Glocks, Sigs, Walthers, and my P07 without a single failure. Pics of the failures below including the marks on the casings after clearing the failure.  Anyone have any ideas? Will this gun be heading back to CZ?

ETA: This happened with both the factory mags that came with the gun.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably lighter than normal loads in a brand new gun thats not broken in. It happens with these guns. Make sure you lube up the internals as well. I had this problem with LAX 115gr too so i cleaned it up good and lubed it and havnt had a problem since. You could always swap out the recoil spring too. Cajun Gun works has 10,11,13,15,18+ recoil springs you can swap out for.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, kinda sounds like the slide isn't cycling back far enough to catch the base of the cartridge and is slamming shut on the side of the case?
Maybe a lighter recoil spring would help, but having an SP-01 and never experiencing anything like that, I would not accept that in a new gun,
and you should be giving CZ a call tomorrow morning. You could diagnose and fix yourself (with some trial and error), but with a new gun, the factory should be fixing it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Was it cleaned and lubed before you went? I know, you shouldn't have to do that but if that's all it takes, it's good news.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:40:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Chamber a round then look at the next round in the mag. Is it pushed way forward?  The bottom of the slide can drag the top round forward in the magazine. I believe that would cause them to nose up like that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was it cleaned and lubed before you went? I know, you shouldn't have to do that but if that's all it takes, it's good news.
View Quote

Yes cleaned and lubed. The first malfunction was the 3rd or 4th round of the first mag.  I ended up purchasing a tuner spring pack from cgw.  Going to the range today to try out a few different spring weights.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I took the gun out today with the spring pack and shot about 250 more rounds through it.  As I went lighter with the springs the malfunctions changed from the type you see in the OP to failing to go fully into battery.  A light tap on the back of the slide was all it took to clear those.  At this point i knew there had to be something wrong with the pistol and it wasn't just the weak target ammo.  I pulled it apart when I got home and inspected then gun under some good light.  Pictures of what I found are below.  Looks like the QA guy was drunk.

This picture shows a little gash out of the left slide rail on the frame.  When I ran my finger along the rail I could feel it.
Attachment Attached File

I'm not quite sure what this is.  Looks like some finish may have pooled up here.  When I run my finger along that area of the slide it does not feel smooth.
Attachment Attached File

Little divots on the side of the feed ramp.  Not sure if this was contributing to the malfunctions at all but strange.
Attachment Attached File

Well looks like I will be contacting CZ next week.  This is crazy I have never seen a new gun that is this fucked up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Clean the slide and frame roughness up with a stone or fine sandpaper.

The barrel feed ramps and throats I would call CZ.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Clean the slide and frame roughness up with a stone or fine sandpaper.

The barrel feed ramps and throats I would call CZ.
View Quote

I could do that for the second pic. The first pic shows a small chunk out of the rail.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I could do that for the second pic. The first pic shows a small chunk out of the rail.
View Quote

Hard to tell by the pic what I am seeing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
"Send me a new gun or make this one gtg"
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#11]
that is fucked and never should have made it out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Send me a new gun or make this one gtg"
View Quote

Yep will be calling them this week.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#13]
OP,

Don't sand or file anything. Call CZ, they will email you a return label and as of a few weeks ago turn around time was 4 weeks. They'll make it right.

That should not have passed QC. Maybe it was on the machine on a Friday afternoon around 4:45pm.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, that sucks. I think I have seen/heard about this from just about every brand by now. Sig, Smith, & Glock included. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Damn, that sucks. I think I have seen/heard about this from just about every brand by now. Sig, Smith, & Glock included. 
View Quote

It can happen to any of them. I know that now. It's just the nature of manufacturing unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]
That's messed up!

I haven't fired my CZ SP01 tactical threaded urban grey yet but I'm definitely going to pop it apart and see how it looks before I take it out now!
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I sent it in and they shipped me a new gun. Just finished cleaning and lubing it.  I'll be taking this one shooting today and I'll report back.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Now THAT is customer service.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well I took the gun out today with the spring pack and shot about 250 more rounds through it.  As I went lighter with the springs the malfunctions changed from the type you see in the OP to failing to go fully into battery.  A light tap on the back of the slide was all it took to clear those.  At this point i knew there had to be something wrong with the pistol and it wasn't just the weak target ammo.  I pulled it apart when I got home and inspected then gun under some good light.  Pictures of what I found are below.  Looks like the QA guy was drunk.

I'm not quite sure what this is.  Looks like some finish may have pooled up here.  When I run my finger along that area of the slide it does not feel smooth.
View Quote

Got a new CZ SP01 and had the same feed issue pictured in the OP. There's also the defects in the finish where it looks like the spray gun wasn't clean so there are a few bumps. I only shot 50 rounds, so I'll shoot a couple more boxes to make sure it's working. I don't really care about the finish defects that much, it's not terribly noticeable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Took the replacement gun out and put 300 rounds through it. Zero malfunctions.  I think I'm g2g.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Took the replacement gun out and put 300 rounds through it. Zero malfunctions.  I think I'm g2g.
View Quote

That's more like it! I'm glad CZ took care of you. I knew they would. My P-01 and SP-01 are my absolute go to pistols that have shot and cycled any and everything I've ever fed them. In fact, they are the only pistols I've ever had (besides revolvers) that I've never had a malfunction with. But yeah, every manufacturer sends out a turd now and then; even the best of them...
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad to hear CZ was proactive about fixing it. About a month turnaround time, huh?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Glad to hear CZ was proactive about fixing it. About a month turnaround time, huh?
View Quote

Yea didn't help that I sent it in right around Christmas. Add at least a week from that I would say.  In other news got classified as sharpshooter in idpa ssp with this gun today. First time doing any sort of shooting competition.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Glad to see CZ took care of you OP. I have one of the new threaded SP=01s and its been flawless through 400+ rounds suppressed and just keeps getting better. Contrast that to my new gen 4 G19 with same ammo and same suppressor, 4-5 FTEs every mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top