Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 10:22:33 PM EDT
I've got an older slightly beat up CZ 75 that was my brother's, and I've always loved shooting it, the ergos are great and it's a recoil sponge. I'm looking to get an updated 75 Series with the newer offerings.

I kind of stumbled across the Sphinx SDP series. Tried it out at my LGS, and it fit like a gloves, even better than the 75, and the fit/finish/tolerances were impeccable. I'm not good enough to make a difference right now, but I have read that it is a good deal more accurate than the 75/SP-01. I went online to do a little research,  and here's were I've become confused.

On one hand a few people are saying it's awful, with a horrendous DA trigger, unreliable, not durable barrel wear, etc (though some of these seem to be due to lemons, or bad maintenance). On the other,  a good number of people are saying it's rock solid, great grips, supreme fit and finish ("Swiss watch"), accurate and a great (?) trigger. Saying it's the ultimate expression of the Cz75 action, like of what Wilson or Les Baer is to the 1911 (I realize it's not exactly the same, by my research seems to indicate that Sphinx has made very high quality firearms in the past, and while parts of the SDP series are production built, supposedly a lot is hand-fitted). Can I get the truth from any owners: range toy or reliable sidearm? (FWIW I'm mainly looking at the compact, but have some interest in the sub as well)

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't own one but like you I had been interested in the gun for over a year.  They have switch distributors in the US and their cs is not very good.  From a reliability standpoint the sc is the one that has had many issues.  They are made with very tight tolerances and any of the sc have had the barrel replaced.  The compacts seem to be fine. If you happen to get one were the trigger sucks, which I doubt, you can always send to Cajun fun works to get tuned up.  Just any FYI, it is almost identical specs to a sig 229 so if you liked the Sphinx, you may try giving that a look.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I went through exactly what you are going through wanting a Sphinx SDP.  After much research and comparing prices and everything I ended up getting a CZ 75 BD with a SRS kit from CGW.  I am beyond happy and will be adding a SP-01 Tactical with the same setup from CGW.  For the money you cannot beat the CZ.  Yeah Sphinx does a little more work to make the trigger better but the SRS kit and a few minutes to clean up some of the machining marks on the CZ and I have a better trigger, just as good of handgun, and more parts availability for less money.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went through exactly what you are going through wanting a Sphinx SDP.  After much research and comparing prices and everything I ended up getting a CZ 75 BD with a SRS kit from CGW.  I am beyond happy and will be adding a SP-01 Tactical with the same setup from CGW.  For the money you cannot beat the CZ.  Yeah Sphinx does a little more work to make the trigger better but the SRS kit and a few minutes to clean up some of the machining marks on the CZ and I have a better trigger, just as good of handgun, and more parts availability for less money.
View Quote

No, you have a superior handgun and it's an original, not a copy design...

Kriss/Sphinx has miserable CS OP... I've heard way more bad than good about this manufacturer... Yes, their pistols to appear to have better milling/machining and they may appear to have a prettier finish new in the display case... But when you have a hit n' miss reputation as such it just isn't worth the risk or the headache. These are combat/carry/range pistols not museum pieces of significant historical value. CZ's are inherently sexy as is. Just stick with the original. In the very small chance you have a warranty issue CZ will be light years ahead of Kriss/Sphinx in getting you taken care
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I was super excited for my SDP.  I never buy new, so it was supposed to be a real treat.

Had to back to manufacturer.  New barrel.  They made me eat the shipping.

Screw them with a rusty pitchfork.

Should have bought a CZ.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Kriss is local to me and I have handled them a few times, it is the CS nightmares, and the fact that they told me they will not be bringing in any steel frame models that keep me from buying one!
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the SPD DUTY. It's the all alloy frame, 17rd magazine. It's been absolutely flawless. From what I was recently told, the Swiss made guns will no longer be imported. So for anyone who's reading this, if you want one, I wouldn't put it off too much longer. The new models will
be manufactured here. Out of the box, everything on my Sphinx was tight. The slide was tight, the decocker, slide release, hell, even the magazine catch. For the most part, and after about 800 rounds, and several cleanings, the controls are much easier now. The finish is outstanding, and
the gun still looks brand new. I've owned multiple CZ's over the years, along with pretty much everything else like a lot of you, and I have to say, my Sphinx has become one my top favorites. I love owning this gun, and I'm seriously considering purchasing another. I haven't read too
many negative things about the SDP, just "I heard this, or I read that" but very little information. I cannot comment on the CS at KRISS, as I've had no reason to contact them. Someone mentioned the barrels, and from what I know about them, they are
very similar to the Glock. Hammer forged, polygonal, even though Glock is going away from that on the GEN 5 guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top