Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2016 5:40:28 PM EDT
I have always loved the CZ style of pistol and have been in the market for a full size CZ style pistol. I was ready to buy the CZ-75 SPO1 Tactical with the factory threaded barrel and elevated sights, and then I saw the Sphinx. What does the hive stay about the Sphinx SDP Full size?

Whatever pistol I buy it will be a home defense / range toy. It will not need to be carried. Must be in 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Sphinx aren't the same company they were three years ago.  Their current owner isn't nearly as CS oriented as CZ USA.

I'll admit that the Sphinx CZ clones are great guns, but given a choice I'd go CZ every time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#2]
SP01.....no question in my mind.  Wish I could buy one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Went through this deli a myself and bought a CZ75 BD over the Sphinx.  After the cost of the pistol +parts from CGW I came out ahead and a better trigger.
Next CZ will be a SP-01 Tactical after I buy the Sig MPX I want.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I always wanted a Sphinx, but while shopping I learned the full-size version is now made in the U.S. instead of Switzerland.

To me, that's not a Sphinx.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The Sphinx has one of the worst double action trigger pulls, the only two that might beat it are the Sig 250 and the Ruger LCP.  CZ all the way.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
CZ all the way.  Take the cash you saved and install a few Cajun Gun Works trigger parts and you will have a thoroughbred.
Nothing against the Spinx but the CZ pistols are super accurate,reliable and just damn fun to shoot
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Sphinx has one of the worst double action trigger pulls, the only two that might beat it are the Sig 250 and the Ruger LCP.  CZ all the way.
View Quote

Which Sphinx are you referring to and in which way are they bad?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their recently imported compact, not the older ones.  The double action trigger wasn't smooth, it was ridiculously heavy.  Even the worst CZ trigger I've pulled wasn't 1/10th as bad.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#10]
If I had the coin I'd grab an older model Sphinx.

My perpetually broke (law school student) ass was able to pick up a very lightly used CGW customized SP-01 from a member here for $800 last summer.  Defensive carry package, re-crowned barrel, and VZ grips, I must say, it is the nicest shooting I've ever held. Six-hundred rounds of +p later and she has yet to miss a beat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#11]

One guys issues.  Reading the entire thread makes my head hurt, so much oddness.  

Anyways.  I have a Sphinx subcompact that works now.  Had to be sent back, but it works perfectly now.  I would recommend the trigger in that gun.   It's nice.  The fit and finish are excellent.   DA/SA in that class of gun is excellent.   I would NOT recommend getting a Sphinx, but not because of the trigger.  

I'll get rid of mine because I don't have a use for it, but (once again) I'll miss how smooth it is.

Edit.  A friend of mine has a wolf edition SDP and it was excellent as well.  He sold that to get a shadow.  He likes the shadow better, but that's a (more of a) competition gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top