Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2016 8:01:32 PM EDT
I've been going back and forth between getting a CZ 75 or a Browning Hi Power for a few weeks. Tried two examples out a little bit ago, and felt that the CZ was a little nicer shooting. So after that, I was deciding on which model to get. I went to a local FFL that had a stainless and an 85, which is what I kind of narrowed down on... but the day before, he had a SP-01 come in (standard one, with safety). Since I got there right after he opened up, I was the first person to take a look.

Didn't like the ambidextrous slide release on the 85, so it was between the SP-01 and the stainless. Opted for the former, which was $675 plus NICS (stainless was $730). Only issue is that it gets to sit at the FFL until my pistol purchaser permits come back (NJ; I also bought a NAA Sidewinder).

Due to NJ, he had the 18 rounders getting pinned to 15... which I mentioned I rather have 15 rounders. He had two new CZ ones, so he put them in the case instead of the pinned ones (I prefer being able to takedown my magazines). I ordered another six magazines and a Serpa holster to get me started, and also picked up a new Kadet 2 kit for the gun. I used to have a Ciener kit for my Beretta, and was thinking about a kit for my P228... but I felt the accuracy of the CZ kit should be better. I do got to find who has good pricing on Kadet magazines, as I'll probably get another two or so.

Other than that, I'm thinking about getting one of those spur hammers from CZ, as I do like the classic look (have an email out to them regarding it working in B guns, being it states its a Pre-B and works with B model guns). I'm probably getting a stainless steel guide rod from CGW, and possibly their barrel bushing.

But after that, I really only have one thing I want to change out; grips. After going through picture threads, I narrowed it down to two options.

Hogue Checkered G10 in Black

Hogue Checkered Coco Bolo

Just wanted to get people's opinions on those grips. I usually run Hogue rubber grips on most of my pistols, so no background in G10 or their wooden grips. I like the look of the wood, but don't know how well they will keep up. G10... I have no idea about, but I do hear a lot of people going with them. All I got is that they are a laminate.

I picked this up more for a range gun, being I have better options for off-duty carry. Looks will probably be about 40% of the decision, with function/strength being a little more important.

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I got the Hogue G10 grips for my sp-01 and like then a lot.  Don't know about longevity yet though i've only had them a few months. I got the piranha pattern and they have a nice feel to them. I think it's a more aggressive texturing compared to the one you linked.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't see those... but would consider them. What is the texture like? Doesn't look sharp, just deep?

Really, I'm only against the smooth versions of either (G10 or wood). I like a positive grip.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Consider the Nill grips....

If only I could afford them...

http://www.mactecsales.com/CZ01XHO8_p/cz01xho8.htm
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I just wish they would show a profile from the rear...  I like a nice palm swell.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Not my style... partly because I don't think I'd spend more than $100 on a set of grips, but I prefer something more traditional.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just wish they would show a profile from the rear...  I like a nice palm swell.
View Quote

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=227418
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Run it with the stock rubber SP01 grips and see how you like it.  I got some G10's and nice and all but I like the stock rubber grips because of the palm swell and how it fits my hand.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is where we bro-hug.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I grabbed some of the LOK Grips with the palm swell..... Easily the best set of grips I've run across yet.  PERFECT!
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I want to get some grips but I don't want to spend $60 on two small pieces of machined bakelite!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top