Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2016 12:37:51 PM EDT
All,
In recent months, I've become quite the CZ fanboy.  I've picked up a P-09 in FDE and a standard SP-01.  These guns are wonderful as is, but I'd like to pimp at least one of them out into a pseudo-race gun / range toy that is both flashy and functional.

Which one would you dump the cash into and why?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I would full pimp the SP-01 and, once you do, you'll probably at least semi-pimp the P09!!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I've drooled over this for ages.  Unfortunately, I enjoy tinkering and doing the work myself (pride thing, who knows?).  Plus, I want to keep this with irons :)

Does anyone have any must-have improvements?  Would a CGW pro-package be the end-all-be-all?

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Dawson Sights, CGW Production Legal Hammer and Sear, Short Reset system, floating trigger pin and reduced trigger return spring.  If all that is in the pro package then yes do it!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
SP-01 because the results will be far superior than the P-09 with a similar amount of work done to it. I know because I have both fully upgraded. I use my SP-01 for IDPA so that dictated what I could do legally, but after the parts and work it is 2.2 # SA and a 5.5 # DA trigger pulls. My P-09 in comparison is 3# SA and 7 # DA. The P-09 has a much longer reset and more pre travel in SA as well. With a regular 75 based gun (B or even a Shadow) CGW makes three different disconnectors. Two of them are oversized and need to be hand fitted, but they result in the shortest reset possible.

If you just want a race(r) gun/range toy and don't plan to compete in anything the ultimate is to turn it into a single action only and remove the firing pin block. This is assuming you have a B model with a firing pin block and is equipped with a safety. I also have a SAO converted pre-B and the trigger is even better than my SP-01 comp gun.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an SP-01 pimped out (By Matt Mink) and an SP-01 Accu-Shadow pimped out by CZ custom.

The Accu-shadow is 5% better IMO. Reset is shorter, take-up is shorter upon reset in SA, pull weight is almost identical. So, for MUCH less money, you can get 95% of the top dog (arguably) production pistol.

That said, what are you pimping it out for? 'Race Gun' is pretty generic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Too easy.  SP-01

The pimp-path is well-paved for this one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#9]
So I'm thinking of ordering the CGW Pro Package, the D-style safeties (both left and right), the CGW 10X bushing, and most likely some Dawson sights.

Anything I could possibly be missing?  Grips? A million mags?

Do the D-style safeties fit the SP-01?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Anything I could possibly be missing?

View Quote

I'd recommend picking out your favorite color thin-aluminum grips from CZ-USA's webstore.  I'm partial to the orange or Zombie green myself

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#11]
So I installed a Pro Package into the SP-01 this weekend. Trigger felt amazing and reset was minuscule. However, when I got to the range today, I had quite a few light strikes. They all went bang eventually but I couldn't get through a magazine without at least one or two.  Anyone know if this kit needs some sort of break in period or is something wrong?

For reference, I was using the blue hammer spring, the red recoil spring, and reloads (with S&B primers), which I know can be hard sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

For reference, I was using the blue hammer spring, the red recoil spring, and reloads (with S&B primers), which I know can be hard sometimes.
View Quote
I would bet the most likely culprit is the S&B primers. I would try some factory loads of a few brands first to rule out an ammo issue. I'm running the black hammer springs (11.5#) on three CZ's without any issues.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I installed a Pro Package into the SP-01 this weekend. Trigger felt amazing and reset was minuscule. However, when I got to the range today, I had quite a few light strikes. They all went bang eventually but I couldn't get through a magazine without at least one or two.  Anyone know if this kit needs some sort of break in period or is something wrong?

View Quote

That is your problem I'm betting 10 to 1 odds... Did you try and factory self defense loads in it by chance??? Either way, if you plan on running S&B primers in your reloads quite a bit then I would upgrade the hammer spring to a heavier one to ensure enough pressure for detonation... If you don't want to do that then don't use S&B primers. I run Geco factory ammo almost exclusively and the primers are about as hard as the S&B's. However, my P-01 trigger/hammer and internals are stock and it has never experienced a light strike. HTH's...
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That is your problem I'm betting 10 to 1 odds... Did you try and factory self defense loads in it by chance??? Either way, if you plan on running S&B primers in your reloads quite a bit then I would upgrade the hammer spring to a heavier one to ensure enough pressure for detonation... If you don't want to do that then don't use S&B primers. I run Geco factory ammo almost exclusively and the primers are about as hard as the S&B's. However, my P-01 trigger/hammer and internals are stock and it has never experienced a light strike. HTH's...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I normally use CCI but Cabelas had S&B on sale for $19.99/1k...could pass that up!  I plopped in the stock hammer spring last night and we'll see what happens come this weekend.  Maybe it's just a matter of swapping hammer springs for the different primers?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I normally use CCI but Cabelas had S&B on sale for $19.99/1k...could pass that up!  I plopped in the stock hammer spring last night and we'll see what happens come this weekend.  Maybe it's just a matter of swapping hammer springs for the different primers?

View Quote
CGW warns not to use stock springs with the Short reset kits/extended firing pins FYI. It mentions running a 15 pound or lighter hammer spring. You can file a little bit from the firing pin where it would hit the retaining roll pin to get it to go a little further into a primer. I would contact David at CGW and see what he says.

The common rule of thumb mentioned with the CGW hammer springs is 8.5# federals only, 11.5# most and 13# all. I've run factory S&B and Cabela's brand Herter's (made by S&B) for thousands of rounds in multiple CZ's without any light strike issues.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CGW warns not to use stock springs with the Short reset kits/extended firing pins FYI. It mentions running a 15 pound or lighter hammer spring. You can file a little bit from the firing pin where it would hit the retaining roll pin to get it to go a little further into a primer. I would contact David at CGW and see what he says.

The common rule of thumb mentioned with the CGW hammer springs is 8.5# federals only, 11.5# most and 13# all. I've run factory S&B and Cabela's brand Herter's (made by S&B) for thousands of rounds in multiple CZ's without any light strike issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do.  Thanks for the heads up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top