Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2016 6:39:16 PM EDT
I have a 75D Compact PCR and just purchased a factory CZ threaded barrel. Dropped it off at a local gunsmith for fitting. He charges $50 an hour labor. Asked him how long he thought it would take. Said he wasn't sure. What is a reasonable time to fit a factory barrel so that I don't have sticker shock? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
5 minutes is about the maximum time it takes me to do one, but then again, I do a lot of them. if he can't do it in under 20 he is a scrub and doesn't know what he is doing.

eta: I would expect him to charge a minimum bench fee at least for agreeing to do the job, regardless of the amount of time it takes to complete. they are very easy to do though
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#2]
So my gunsmith gets back to me and the bill is $100. 2 hours labor.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are handy.....

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:31:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You could do it yourself. If I could do it anyone could.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

he is severely ripping you off. the most he should be charging is $50 and that should be more as a bench fee than counted towards man hours, like I said, If it takes more than 20 minutes he has no idea what he is doing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I just fitted a CZ threaded barrel to my CZ75BD. I took my time and it was about 30 minutes on the kitchen table.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just fitted a CZ threaded barrel to my CZ75BD. I took my time and it was about 30 minutes on the kitchen table.
View Quote

30 minutes is fine if you don't do it for a living.  a "gunsmith" charging 2 hours on the other hand is just ridiculous. I would expect a bench fee from such a job but not much else.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

30 minutes is fine if you don't do it for a living.  a "gunsmith" charging 2 hours on the other hand is just ridiculous. I would expect a bench fee from such a job but not much else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 hours ( charged ) is butt rape IMHO.

(Most of the 30 minutes was carrying things from the basement to the kitchen table and back)
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The best part of fitting a new threaded barrel.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top