Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2015 5:08:27 PM EDT
Here's what I am interested in and why.....

I shoot the Fire/Police games semi-auto handgun matches (points based shooting a B27 target out to 25 yards) and have just been using my Glock 34 that I use for 3 gun.  I got a bronze last year but a couple of the other years I have just a couple of shots that ended up costing me a gold or silver.  All of the top guys seem to be shooting SA autos that have better triggers than a Glock and are inherently more accurate pistols.  I feel like if I get a SA pistol with better "known" accuracy than my Glock I'll be "more in the running" so-to-speak.  I need tighter groups!!

That said, I'm looking at a CZ because of the bang-for-buck, but am a little confused about which model would be the best suited.  It will be for this style competition only...no HD/CCW use at all.

What would you recommend?  Looking for single action, adj sights, plus affordable mags (capacity isn't a big deal, they are 6 round strings) and pretty much ready to go out of the box.

Thanks for your help!

ETA....I would like to keep it under $1300-1400ish
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
In your price range I'd buy an SP-01 Shadow Custom and never look back. It's a DA/SA, but we're talking 3lb SA pull, probably 5-5.5lb DA pull. Insanely smooth and crisp, and a super short reset.
You'd have to get with CZC about an adjustable sight if that's that important to you.

http://czcustom.com/shadowcustom2014blk.aspx
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the Tactical Sport if you can, they are very, very nice.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a look at the Tactical Sport if you can, they are very, very nice.
View Quote

Yup, that one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The tactical sport has some pricey magazines. If you stay in the CZ75 family your magazine price drops greatly.

While not listed, there are little known CZ Shadow variants. There's a model called the CZ75 Shadow Target Custom Black. You can order it SA/DA or SA.
I have the SA/DA model. It's an excellent pistol.

There is also a CZ75 Shadow SA that you can build up as a base gun. I put $1300 into one and it is the best gun I've ever held or shot. I think it was a bit cheaper than the
Custom Black, but has fixed target sights, not the expensive adjustables.

Both guns are built and sold by CZ Custom. Also, these models are NOT the SP01 frames.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The tactical sport has some pricey magazines. If you stay in the CZ75 family your magazine price drops greatly.

While not listed, there are little known CZ Shadow variants. There's a model called the CZ75 Shadow Target Custom Black. You can order it SA/DA or SA.

There is also a CZ75 Shadow SA that you can build up as a base gun. I put $1300 into one and it is the best gun I've ever held or shot. I think it was a bit cheaper than the

Both guns are built and sold by CZ Custom. Also, these models are NOT the SP01 frames.
View Quote

Those look very nice!

I've never even handled a CZ....from memory, cant the CZ75's be carried cocked and locked even though they are DA/SA?  If this is the case, then any of the CZ75 varients will work for my intended purpose.  I can draw from the holster and shoot only SA and not have the transition.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Those look very nice!

I've never even handled a CZ....from memory, cant the CZ75's be carried cocked and locked even though they are DA/SA?  If this is the case, then any of the CZ75 varients will work for my intended purpose.  I can draw from the holster and shoot only SA and not have the transition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those look very nice!

Yes they can.  I suggest the Shadow Custom from CZCustom.  If you decide to shoot USPSA or IDPA, they require you to start with the hammer down for the first shot.  An SA only variant would prevent you from competing there if you so decide and reduce your resale market, as the SP-01 Shadow is a popular pistol for both Production and SSP.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
CZ 75B SA or CZ 75 Tactical Sports.

Adjustable sights are quite prone to breakage, and really offer nothing tangible unless you are running several very different loads. With one load, figure out the precise height of front sight for elevation, get it, and then adjust windage as necessary during a benched range session. You'll have a rock-solid platform that will be FAR more reliable, without sacrificing anything.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
What are you shooting that is only 6 rounds strings?  Some kind of Bullseye variant?

Anyway, already good suggestions in here.  I'd recommend a shadow, one in SA if you can get it, since I'm assuming you're not running and gunning with it.

For running and gunning in 3-Gun, it's hard to beat a SP-01 Tactical.  you can get them in different configs to match your preference.  Mine is a DA/SA with a frame safety.

And finally, you gotta go Open!  Sure, mags are expensive, and so are the guns and accessories.  But, I love my Tanfoglio Gold Custom!  It's a cousin of the CZ line, so the ergos are very similar.  

And finally again, there's the Czechmate!  One gun that can shoot Open or Limited, a pretty good deal really, if you can find one.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are you shooting that is only 6 rounds strings?  Some kind of Bullseye variant? It's a max-time event shot with 6 rounds per mag and mandatory reloads.  Shot for points....every point counts big at the end

Anyway, already good suggestions in here.  I'd recommend a shadow, one in SA if you can get it, since I'm assuming you're not running and gunning with it.  ]I'm thinking the Shadow custom shop Single action #91711

For running and gunning in 3-Gun, it's hard to beat a SP-01 Tactical.  you can get them in different configs to match your preference.  Mine is a DA/SA with a frame safety.  Staying with my Glocks for 3 gun...too much invested in guns, mags & equip

And finally, you gotta go Open!  Sure, mags are expensive, and so are the guns and accessories.  But, I love my Tanfoglio Gold Custom!  It's a cousin of the CZ line, so the ergos are very similar.  [span style='color: red;']Going open in 3 gun is 10 grand I can't be spending anytime soon....married with kids...nuff said

And finally again, there's the Czechmate!  One gun that can shoot Open or Limited, a pretty good deal really, if you can find one

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:09:20 AM EDT
[#10]
So, at this point I'm thinking of the Shadow single action custom shop #91711

Seems to be a good combo of price and features and a great trigger..  

Since this looks to be a standard type CZ75 I will be able to run all of the regular CZ75-type mags, correct???  These come with 16 rounders but 18 and 20 round Mecgars will work I'm assuming???  I think I want to stay away from the Tactical Sport and it's special mags.

Thanks for all of the help so far
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, standard mecgar cz mags will work. They are however, 17 and 19 round mags.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Might want to look at Cajun Gun Works.
You can buy a gun straight from them and have it worked over by them before they ship it to you. They can give you a 75/85 or SP01 that will rival the custom shop at slightly lower cost.

Why are you hung on a single action variety? If you get any CZ model with a safety, it can be run cocked and locked like a 1911 but still be more useful if you want to sell it or play other shooting games.

If you want a CZ, get a CZ but keep in mind that people like Bob Vogul run a Glock with great accuracy and speed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#13]
91711 is the same model I had built by CZ Custom.
I added:
Flat blade trigger
Pre B disconnector
Competition Hammer

Final price was $1237, and it's a better gun than the other more expensive Shadow's I have, or have owned.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you want a CZ, get a CZ but keep in mind that people like Bob Vogul run a Glock with great accuracy and speed.
View Quote

Absolutely. Best to shoot what suits you. My advice to new shooters in the pistol games (USPSA,IPSC, and IDPA) is to try all three major platforms - Glock, S&W M&P, and CZ - and decide for themselves which platform works best for them. It does not make sense to change platforms just for the sake of change, especially if another platform feels more natural or gives you better results right now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I shoot the Fire/Police games semi-auto handgun matches (points based shooting a B27 target out to 25 yards) and have just been using my Glock 34 that I use for 3 gun.  I got a bronze last year but a couple of the other years I have just a couple of shots that ended up costing me a gold or silver.  All of the top guys seem to be shooting SA autos that have better triggers than a Glock and are inherently more accurate pistols.  I feel like if I get a SA pistol with better "known" accuracy than my Glock I'll be "more in the running" so-to-speak.  I need tighter groups!!

That said, I'm looking at a CZ because of the bang-for-buck, but am a little confused about which model would be the best suited.  It will be for this style competition only...no HD/CCW use at all.

What would you recommend?  Looking for single action, adj sights, plus affordable mags (capacity isn't a big deal, they are 6 round strings) and pretty much ready to go out of the box.

Thanks for your help!

View Quote

Diversmith ... we know each other . PM me and you can take out any of my CZ 's for a ride.

CZ Shadow Orange  2012
CZ Custom Shadow Australian  Black   Non Accu Barrel
CZ Shadow   Duo tone
CZ  Single Action  Non Shadow
Plus another 10 or so CZ models I have

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#16]
The trigger on an out of the box Tactical Sports is incredible.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is a picture of two of my CZ's you may like. CZ75 TS and SP-01.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Diversmith ... we know each other . PM me and you can take out any of my CZ 's for a ride.

CZ Shadow Orange  2012
CZ Shadow   Duo tone

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your help!

CZ Shadow Orange  2012
CZ Shadow   Duo tone

You da man!!!!!!  Just when I think I have a lot of toys!!!  That is a very kind offer.....I'm still trying to narrow down to a short list which ones I want to try out...or should i borrow 15 of them from you at once??  I'm going to pm you later today.  Thanks brother!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I think I'm down to just 2 models after talking with Cajun Gun works.  I will probably just buy a base model and have them work it up to what I need for this style competition.

I'm still a little confused about the two styles of action systems of the SP01 91152 and the 91153

The 52 is a DA/SA but is a manual safety with NO decocker???

The 53 is a DA/SA but is a true decocker that you can still carry cocked and locked and fire all single action from the get go??

Is this correct?

And these two models use the standard CZ75 mags not the special mags like used in the Tactical Sport model?

Thanks fellas!

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm still a little confused about the two styles of action systems of the SP01 91152 and the 91153

The 53 is a DA/SA but is a true decocker that you can still carry cocked and locked and fire all single action from the get go??

Is this correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is this correct?

Incorrect on the last point.

The 52 SKU is for the regular SP-01, which has an ambi manual safety and no decocker. I can still be safely carried DA, it just needs to be manually decocked. So it can start either SA or DA.

The 53 SKU is for the SP-01 Tactical, which is a decocker model. The decocker models do NOT have safeties and CANNOT be safely carried in SA. That is, DA only starts for decocker guns.

There is no CZ equivalent to the H&K V1 system, offering both a decocker and a safety at the same time - you have to pick one or the other.

Quoted:
And these two models use the standard CZ75 mags not the special mags like used in the Tactical Sport model?

Correct. Only the TS and Czechmate use the TS large-frame magazines. The 97B uses its own mags, and all of the standard 75 variants (including the -01s) use the same magazines (obviously with compact lengths available as well, with the full-size mags working in both full-size and compact frames).
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The 52 SKU is for the regular SP-01, which has an ambi manual safety and no decocker. I can still be safely carried DA, it just needs to be manually decocked. So it can start either SA or DA.
So this model can be "safely" manually decocked which then allows it to be used in IDPA/USPSA matches? (in case I ever decide to use it for that, but not likely)

The 53 SKU is for the SP-01 Tactical, which is a decocker model. The decocker models do NOT have safeties and CANNOT be safely carried in SA. That is, DA only starts for decocker guns.

There is no CZ equivalent to the H&K V1 system, offering both a decocker and a safety at the same time - you have to pick one or the other.

Correct. Only the TS and Czechmate use the TS large-frame magazines. The 97B uses its own mags, and all of the standard 75 variants (including the -01s) use the same magazines (obviously with compact lengths available as well, with the full-size mags working in both full-size and compact frames).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this correct?

So this model can be "safely" manually decocked which then allows it to be used in IDPA/USPSA matches? (in case I ever decide to use it for that, but not likely)

Quoted:

Thanks for all of the clarification!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all of the help so far to all that have posted their knowledge and experience.

I'm thinking it's going to be a 91152 built up by CGW

Great trigger, can shoot DA/SA, pretty cheap mags, very accurate out of the box!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.

If you manually decock (so start DA and then transition to SA), you can be competitive in both sports, shooting SSP in IDPA and Production in USPSA. You can also elect to shoot it SAO, starting cocked-and-locked, it just places you in a different division. In IDPA, that's ESP, where you would still be competitive, while in USPSA, that's Limited, where you would be at a significant scoring disadvantage shooting 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

There was a guy I know that bought one of those custom blacks used from Cabela's for like $600 or so.  They didn't know what they had!  I wish I had been into CZ's at the time...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top