Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2015 6:30:07 AM EDT
I just bought one yesterday. Single action trigger is ok. Double action trigger is horrible, it is actually the worst one I have every pulled. I am not sure that a spring kit will fix it but I am willing to try. Any advice on it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:13:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you really use DA?  I don't.  Being a 1911 guy I put the safeties in/on the gun and I love it.

I bought one in 9MM first.  It was so darn accurate I bought one in .40 S&W.  I'm not convinced the .40 is as accurate as the 9MM (different guns are different).

Took my wife shooting Monday.  She took her XDM 9MM (she likes it because it's really accurate) and the new AR15 I just bought for her.  

She was struggling with the XDM and not getting the groups she was expecting/hoping for based on her previous range trips.  She asked me about the .40 S&W P09 and I told her she could shoot it if she wanted but it was going to kick more and be louder than the XDM (I load Nosler 135 grain hollow points in front of a compressed load of Blue Dot powder).  She was okay with it and on her very first shot she took the little X out of the center of the target and then put 2 of the next 4 rounds in the edge of the 10/9 ring and the other two in the 8 ring very near the 9 ring line.

Now I'm afraid she wants my P09 .40 S&W.  I need to let her shoot the P07 and see if she likes it better, then I can get her a new P07 (she is not getting mine, in shoots better than the P09.)

Go to the CZ website.  There are lots of posts there about trigger work and where to get parts.  http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php

Also, CZ USA (factory parts), CZ Custom (factory and custom parts) and Cajun Gun Works (custom parts) are great places to get parts for your pistol.  

I know not every gun is a reliable or accurate as the next gun to it coming off the assembly line, but so far I've bought 4 good CZs with no lemons and I can't say that for some other plastic framed pistols I've bought previously.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting....my P07 actually has a very good DA pull from factory.  You might shoot it a while and see if it breaks in.  What's actually wrong with it?  Just too heavy?

Otherwise, I hear Cajun Gun Works can do wonders with the P series triggers.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#3]
You want the DA spring kit part # 97910.

That along with polishing the trigger bar, and bending the trigger bar spring down will yield a great DA trigger. I hand polished all internals and installed the full CGW Pro Grade Kit in my P-09. SA is about 3lbs and DA is around 7.5-8lbs and very smooth. Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but dry fire itself is a joy. :)

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#4]

I'm new to the CZ fan club.  Just picked up a CZ 75 and a P-09.

The P-09 got the Cajun Gun Works treatment, and I am very happy with it.  DA pull is significantly reduced, as is trigger reset distance.  Single action now breaks like a 1911.  I don't have a trigger scale handy (packed up as I am in the process of moving), but I would estimate the DA pull at 8-9 pounds, and the SA at somewhere around 4.  I'm very pleased with it at this point.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The easiest thing you can do, is take the slide off and bend the trigger bar spring down and take some of the tension off. It's only purpose is to hold the trigger bar in place until it connects with the lifter and disconnector to pull the hammer back. It is badly badly overtensioned.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My friend has a revolver that is double action with a 12 pound trigger and I have no issues with it, this one on the other hand takes a lot of effort to pull the trigger back. I do occasionally shoot double action on it. I go to a shooting competition every other friday night and this was to be my new gun for it. They don't do a set course every time and the do switch it up with different shooting styles.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I need to get off my ass soon and get the CGW stuff for my P-09. Maybe when my can gets out of NFA jail, and I get to shoot it, I'll be more prompted to tune my P09 a little bit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Took it to the shooting range and I shot decent with it. I keep jerking the trigger and pulling the shots down but I am correcting it. I can live with the single action trigger but I have decided to get a lighter spring for the double action trigger. Had a friend shoot it and he couldn't believe how heavy the trigger is on double action. Overall I am happy with it and I plan on some upgrades over time with it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Took it to the shooting range and I shot decent with it. I keep jerking the trigger and pulling the shots down but I am correcting it. I can live with the single action trigger but I have decided to get a lighter spring for the double action trigger. Had a friend shoot it and he couldn't believe how heavy the trigger is on double action. Overall I am happy with it and I plan on some upgrades over time with it.
View Quote

Polishing the trigger bar and bending the trigger bar spring down alone will make a tremendous difference in the DA pull. I would say it's every bit as important, if not more important than a lighter mainspring as far as how much they all translate to a better DA pull.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought my 09 directly from Cajun gunworks. They did their work on it.
Best DA trigger I've ever shot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interesting....my P07 actually has a very good DA pull from factory.  You might shoot it a while and see if it breaks in.  What's actually wrong with it?  Just too heavy?

View Quote

Spot on mate! Mine same way!! It's almost like I shot better with the DA!  Like I just willy nilly threw the gun up and was expecting shit and it shot bullseyes!  Baffled me!   So I wonder if the p09 is really as bad as op is saying, as the internals should be the same.

Anyone in here have the threaded 09?

Sexy lookin machine work with the Reddot guy, how much?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Spot on mate! Mine same way!! It's almost like I shot better with the DA!  Like I just willy nilly threw the gun up and was expecting shit and it shot bullseyes!  Baffled me!   So I wonder if the p09 is really as bad as op is saying, as the internals should be the same.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the threaded P09... and I'm waiting on a can. Been 120+ days so far.

I'd like to get a non-threaded barrel for the P09, and probably get a P07 someday. Since OC will be legal next year, I thought about something carrying something OWB. I'd still prefer to wear a loose shirt over it. seems the P07 is about G19 size, if not a hair wider in the slide. (that's my only gripe about the P09... the slide is WIDE AS FUCK... like it should be a double stack .45.... I wish it were slender and sleek...)
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'd like to get a non-threaded barrel for the P09, and probably get a P07 someday. Since OC will be legal next year, I thought about something carrying something OWB. I'd still prefer to wear a loose shirt over it. seems the P07 is about G19 size, if not a hair wider in the slide. (that's my only gripe about the P09... the slide is WIDE AS FUCK... like it should be a double stack .45.... I wish it were slender and sleek...)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The P series guns do have wide slides, but one advantage they have over Glocks IMO is a considerably slimmer frame, which makes it easier to conceal than a Glock to me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The P series guns do have wide slides, but one advantage they have over Glocks IMO is a considerably slimmer slide, which makes it easier to conceal than a Glock to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The P series guns do have wide slides, but one advantage they have over Glocks IMO is a considerably slimmer slide, which makes it easier to conceal than a Glock to me.

I thought the slides on the P series are actually WIDER than a Glock (say, G19) by a hair?

One neat thing I didn't mention about the threaded barrel on the P09 - it's barrel all the way to the end. It's rifled all the way to the end, it's not just an extension on the end of a regular barrel. I find that kinda interesting and cool. I guess it's probably just more efficient to make a longer barrel, completely rifled and all, then thread it.

ETA: checking a video comparison, it says the Glock 19 slide is 1.1" wide, and the P07 is 1.25" wide... so it is a touch wider.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I thought the slides on the P series are actually WIDER than a Glock (say, G19) by a hair?

One neat thing I didn't mention about the threaded barrel on the P09 - it's barrel all the way to the end. It's rifled all the way to the end, it's not just an extension on the end of a regular barrel. I find that kinda interesting and cool. I guess it's probably just more efficient to make a longer barrel, completely rifled and all, then thread it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meant to say slimmer frame - not enough coffee yet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, the frame is thinner - those plastic shelled Glock mags are wider than the plain metal mags. It's just disappointing to me that the slide on the P series CZs isn't thinner. I think getting them about .25" thinner should have been doable and would probably make them just a touch more comfortable and sleek. Just my opinion, tho.

I'm seriously considering putting this quarterly bonus toward a P-07...
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, the frame is thinner - those plastic shelled Glock mags are wider than the plain metal mags. It's just disappointing to me that the slide on the P series CZs isn't thinner. I think getting them about .25" thinner should have been doable and would probably make them just a touch more comfortable and sleek. Just my opinion, tho.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The P series guns are, IMO, easily the nicest polymer framed guns on the market. Seriously.

- Ergonomics can't be touched by any other polymer guns.
- ~3.5lb SA trigger right out the box (DA needs some work - but it isn't like very many people even use hammer fired guns in DA.)
- Scary accurate as are all CZ's. There's a member here who beats 1911's and other steel framed guns in bulls eye matches with a P-09.
- In the ~5 years or so the P series guns have been around, there's nothing to say they aren't as reliable and durable as any of the other top polymer guns out there.
- These guns are still in their infancy as far as how long they've been around compared to others. IMO, they will continue to get more popular as more and more people see how much of a crazy bargain these guns are. It's a real shame that to people who don't know better outside of the competition world, they assume these guns are cheap/junk. When that is 100% false and inaccurate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is actually the threaded version which is why I bought it. Threw my 9mm wet can on it. It was not as quiet as I was hoping it would be. The trigger still has not gotten any better on it for DA. SA is good, no complaints there. I let my friend shoot it and he didn't say anything good about the DA trigger pull. My friend measured his 929 Smith at 11.5 pounds. This one is somewhere between 15 and 16 pounds. I do still like the gun and I may eventually buy the parts o make it better.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Mine is actually the threaded version which is why I bought it. Threw my 9mm wet can on it. It was not as quiet as I was hoping it would be. The trigger still has not gotten any better on it for DA. SA is good, no complaints there. I let my friend shoot it and he didn't say anything good about the DA trigger pull. My friend measured his 929 Smith at 11.5 pounds. This one is somewhere between 15 and 16 pounds. I do still like the gun and I may eventually buy the parts o make it better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$28 CGW spring kit and about 20 minutes of your time polishing trigger bar and bending trigger bar spring down will yield about a 9lb DA trigger give or take, and very smooth. We've done these upgrades alone to many P series guns with very, very good results.
I polished all internals on my personal P-09 and did the CGW Pro Grade kit. SA is around 3lbs, DA is around 8.5 lbs and very smooth.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Are there any dis-assembly/assembly instructions out there for them. I looked around and didn't find anything but my ability to find things like that are weak.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are there any dis-assembly/assembly instructions out there for them. I looked around and didn't find anything but my ability to find things like that are weak.
View Quote

This video will walk you through complete disassembly and re assembly of the P-07/09. The Omega trigger system the P series guns use is very, very easy and strait forward to work with. I'm mobile ATM so excuse mobile link. If you can't get the link to work I'll post a better link tomorrow.
https:/youtu.be/ChRsfL_xyHs
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Joe's video is great:

The hardest part is getting the decocker spring back in place. If you have a very small flat piece of metal, or an old screw driver you don't mind cutting up. Take it and cut a v-notch in it. That will help greatly. You need to catch the end of the spring and have it fit between the decocker bar and the disco.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the link, it should help me with this alot.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Reminds me, I need to order the little spring and plunger for the safety detent.. my P09 had the safety, but the little spring and plunger was AWOL.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Single action trigger is ok?  I regularly bust clays at 110 yards standing with my P-09.  I'm not the greatest with handguns either.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#26]
bump!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top