Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 12:51:35 PM EDT
I bought a new 75 compact a few weeks ago exclusively to build-up for IDPA CCP. After a few hundred rounds, it was obvious the sights had to go. While "serviceable" they are not the best choice for quick acquisition. They also were grouping my favorite reloads about 2" high. So I bought the EZ/D 9-40 sight set from Cajun Gun Works. I called first and was told they were regulated for 124 grain rounds and that they should be good to go on the Compact. I was warned that it was highly likely they would need fitted. David said the variance in the factory dovetail was significant so these sights are purposely made "oversized" to ensure they will not be too loose for some of the sloppier dovetails.

I got the sights 2 days after my order. They came with two aluminum punches, 2 Allen wrenches, and some basic instructions. I then went to YouTube and watched Dawson's videos on replacing a fixed front sight and a fixed rear sight. I also watched a video of a guy putting the same sights on an SP01. He showed a lot of the small things you should not do.

I took the front sight out with a 1/16th pin punch. I then learned the new front sight had no chance of fitting. After something in the neighborhood of 125 strokes on 220 wet/dry paper it did fit tightly.

I then tried to get the rear factory sight out. This required a vise, Kroil, and a larger hammer but they eventually came out without any damage. The test fit of the new rear showed it was no where close to fitting either. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 file strokes later, I tapped it in and secured the set screws.

The next day I got to the range and discovered it was shooting about 1/2" high and 1.3" left. After loosening the set screws and applying two taps to push the rear slightly right, I was dead on left and right.

After cleaning the gun, I backed the set screws out 2 turns, applied some blue (might regret not using red later) Loctite, and tightened them back down. It is now good to go.

So in summary,
1) The factory rear might be a bear to knock out without damage. I don't think mine would have come out without putting the slide in a vise so I could really whack it.
2) The CGW sights are high quality and provide a great sight picture for action/practical shooting.
3) The CGW sights may require a good bit of fitting to be properly installed.
4) If shooting 124 grain Xtreme bullets over 3.9 grains of Titegroup at an OAL of 1.135 these sights will get a pretty dang good zero.

NOTE: The Cajun rear sight hangs over the rear of the slide a tiny bit. This makes it difficult to manually cock the hammer if you like to do that.
          I do not work for Cajun Gun Works. This is an unsolicited review with the main goal of making it clear fitting will likely be required.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for taking the time to type up a review.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top