Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 7:38:33 AM EDT
Have a P-01; love the gun, hate the sights. In looking for night sights, I've seen mention of having to drill something in order to install the front sight, and possibly some confusion of which front sight to use. I'm not sure I like the thought of drilling my slide. How easy or hard is it to install night sights on this gun? Would I be better off sending the slide somewhere to have the sights installed? I have installed plenty of Glock sights, but this sounds quite a bit different. I haven't had a ton of luck searching so far.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The front sight is pinned in place. You punch out the pin and swap with the new sights. 99.9% of the time the pin hole in the new sight is not correctly sized for your gun. So you drill the hole in the front sight using the holes in the slide as a guide. Then pin it in place.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The front sight is pinned in place. You punch out the pin and swap with the new sights. 99.9% of the time the pin hole in the new sight is not correctly sized for your gun. So you drill the hole in the front sight using the holes in the slide as a guide. Then pin it in place.
View Quote

Odds are, there will not even be a hole in the new sight, at least the Meprolights do not come pre-drilled.  As long as you pay attention to what you are doing, it's a pretty easy task.  I've done about 4 sets on my CZs and they all were completed without issue.

--
Mike
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Odds are, there will not even be a hole in the new sight, at least the Meprolights do not come pre-drilled.  As long as you pay attention to what you are doing, it's a pretty easy task.  I've done about 4 sets on my CZs and they all were completed without issue.

--
Mike
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

--
Mike

Thanks for the replies. Do new sights usually come with the pin, or will that have to be ordered separately? Also, is the drilling something that's okay to do with the slide in a vise and a cordless drill, or better off with a drill press or similar?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. Do new sights usually come with the pin, or will that have to be ordered separately? Also, is the drilling something that's okay to do with the slide in a vise and a cordless drill, or better off with a drill press or similar?
View Quote

Drive the existing pin out nice and easy and reuse.  I did all my drilling with the slide in the vise.  So far, I've put night sights on four of my CZs this way.  

--
Mike
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Drive the existing pin out nice and easy and reuse.  I did all my drilling with the slide in the vise.  So far, I've put night sights on four of my CZs this way.  

--
Mike
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

--
Mike

drill from left side of the slide.  CZ Custom explains if you drill from the right side it might move the front sight off. Drill bit moves clockwise.  Drilling left side will keep the front sight from moving.  Nothing like breaking a bit in the slide while trying to drill that hole.  Absolutely terrible.  

1 out of 2 success rate for me.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

drill from left side of the slide.  CZ Custom explains if you drill from the right side it might move the front sight off. Drill bit moves clockwise.  Drilling left side will keep the front sight from moving.  Nothing like breaking a bit in the slide while trying to drill that hole.  Absolutely terrible.

1 out of 2 success rate for me.
View Quote

+1 on drilling from the left side.  I held off from doing this for the longest time because I thought it would take a drill press to accomplish. One day I just muttered "what the heck" and did it free hand.  From that point on, I was good to go.  

--
Mike
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]
What size drill bit ? I need to put a lower front sight on my Shadow .
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What size drill bit ? I need to put a lower front sight on my Shadow .
View Quote

http://czcustom.com/CZ_Front_Sight_Drill.aspx

Go to a better hardware store that carries numbered drill bits, #47.  The big box stores will not carry numbered drill bits, at least mine don't.  5/64 is a hair bigger than a #47 and up to you to decide if you want to try it or not.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top