Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2015 10:06:25 AM EDT
I know it's not a CZ. But it's basically a CZ 75.
I've been looking a reading a lot about the Sphinx pistols. Just torn if I want to buy one. There are no shops around my that have one. Before buying one I'd like to put my hands one it. Any one here have one? How do you like it?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I see posts on them in the "other" forum,at the bottom of the list.
Might check there,i have a couple of CZ clones also.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok. Guess no one has a Sphinx or cares about them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok. Guess no one has a Sphinx or cares about them.
View Quote

No you can talk about them but you will probably get more bites in the "other" section like the previous poster said. After your post yesterday I went and looked and there were a few post about that manufacturer, some mixed reviews.  They are not super popular in the US probably because of the price, rarity, customer support and lack of Hollywood placement. It's pretty much  a clone and there are many others that do the same for much cheaper since the Turks threw their hat in the ring IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Every time I think about getting a Sphinx, the price convinces me not to.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one it is a Sphinx SDP Subcompact 9mm . It is a very accurate gun  well made gun. If you go and look on some forums you will find some good reviews and not so good on my reviews. The fit and finish is one of the best I have seen.
The problem I have with mine is that the barrel is out of spec. That you have to find the right ammo that will load in the tight chamber of this gun. I have put eight different brands of ammo thru this gun which only four work thru it right now.
I have put over 200 rounds of Perfecta, Winchester 9mm FMJ ammo without any hang ups. If you load a mag with self defense ammo like Speer Gold Dot 147 gr release the slide and the slide will not close fully and you can't pull the slide back
to unload the live round. I have done a drop test with the barrel and found more than four brands of ammo that fail to go to the right depth in the barrel. The gun has been sent back to Kriss the importer for repair right now.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I've read no negative reviews on the alpha sdp sphinx. Only issues I've read were on the subcompact model.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Price is not that bad all consider.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CZs start at about $500. Tanfos start at about $450. Other clones start at about $350.

The cheapest I'm seeing any Sphinx is about $800, with most closer to $1000 or more. That's in the range of CZ or Tanfo competition-model pricing, compared to a base-model Sphinx. IMO, I haven't seen anything that would justify that kind of premium.

$300 buys an awful lot of upgrades. Hell, my SP-01 with night sights cost $638 OTD, which still leaves me over $150 to spend on upgrades to equal the cost of a basic Sphinx, which just has plain sights.

The price is indeed a big reason why you don't see a lot of interest in the Sphinx.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you been to the CZ Clone forum, lots of good stuff.

CZ Clone Forum

ETA, only had to get to page 2 for this,

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=72071.0

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I love this new Sphinx subcompact. I bought it to use as  one of my  carry guns. The workmanship on this gun is at it best their are no machine marks on any part of the gun. The finish is very good the trigger is excellent. The slide tight  with the rails on the inside like CZ's. I have four CZ' which are great but the finish is even better on this gun. So is it worth the price  at $899.00 that I paid yes. The gun has to work with many different brands of ammo. You can't have a gun that when you release the slide of a loaded round to load the gun the slide does not close all the way or does close and then want to unload the live round  you have to fight with it you can't pull back the slide. If you have to do this it is not right. No trouble pulling back the slide with the two brands of 9mm  FMJ I listed here. The gun is very accurate for a shot barrel gun I put over 100 rounds of Perfecta and Winchester FMJ ammo thru it. Self defense 9mm ammo that I have four brands would not load in this gun. I went and bought Hornady Critical defense 115 gr. ammo which has a very short bullet and this is the only one that worked in this gun so far.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love this new Sphinx subcompact. I bought it to use as  one of my  carry guns. The workmanship on this gun is at it best their are no machine marks on any part of the gun. The finish is very good the trigger is excellent. The slide tight  with the rails on the inside like CZ's. I have four CZ' which are great but the finish is even better on this gun. So is it worth the price  at $899.00 that I paid yes. The gun has to work with many different brands of ammo. You can't have a gun that when you release the slide of a loaded round to load the gun the slide does not close all the way or does close and then want to unload the live round  you have to fight with it you can't pull back the slide. If you have to do this it is not right. No trouble pulling back the slide with the two brands of 9mm  FMJ I listed here. The gun is very accurate for a shot barrel gun I put over 100 rounds of Perfecta and Winchester FMJ ammo thru it. Self defense 9mm ammo that I have four brands would not load in this gun. I went and bought Hornady Critical defense 115 gr. ammo which has a very short bullet and this is the only one that worked in this gun so far.
View Quote

Lots of in there.

"Worth the price", but it won't feed numerous defensive loads? After saying how it's "not right" to have something that won't feed everything?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got a Sphinx SDP and I love it, the only issue I have with it is the sights.  I am not a big fan of the sights, however it shoot s great and has a sweet trigger. I put over 250 rounds through it yesterday without an issue.  Very accurate pistol, I just need different sights for me, but I am very OCD on my sights!!!  Overall a great pistol and I got the Alpha Wolf from Rainier Arms with that gray cerakote- man it looks bad ass
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lots of in there.

"Worth the price", but it won't feed numerous defensive loads? After saying how it's "not right" to have something that won't feed everything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of in there.

Tight chamber is great for accuracy. Not so great for ammo selection. That said these guns aren't for me. They don't do anything a CZ can't do from what I've seen and read - and at half the price.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#14]
The subcompacts did have issues, but I have not heard of any issues with the regular compacts. Mine will get rotated into the CC rotation with my CZ PO7 and my USPc.  The SDP in the Gray I have is one of the first pistols that I have seen in a long time that are visually appealing as well as very accurate out side of a 1911 frame
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I will put mine in rotation with my Sig P239 and H&K  P2000. In the summer I sometimes carry my Sig P938 down here in Florida. The Sphinx is still at Kriss will see when i get it back. You get forum members nocking this gun when they never handled taken one apart or shot one. This goes on with any new guns when they first come out. It's been done with my H&K VP9 also my Sig P320. :-)
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a Swiss Made ITM/AT-84 version of the CZ-75 and it was as accurate and reliable as, well a Swiss Watch...Fed and fired everything fed in it, not a single
failure of any kind in over 10K rounds...Best made pistol as far as quality and reliability I have ever used...

The only other pistols that have come close are the Beretta's...Model 35 in 7.65mm Browning (.32ACP), Model 70S in .22LR, .32ACP, .380 ACP all of these
were all steel models BTW...
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:41:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Comparing a sphinx to a cz is lime comparing a rock island 1911 to a Springfield trp. For some the trp does nothing the rock island wont but for others that want a better gun they buy the trp. I've owned my sphinx for several years and probably close to 2000 rounds through it and not one malfunction it loves steel cased wolf. My only issue is the trigger is a little heavy but I put a cajun guns works spring kit in it and it's much better.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:46:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh I guess I have two issues, it needs different sights. When i bought mine they only had white dot front sight and black rear. They are supposed to be shipping with 'halo' sights now and I might try and pick up a set.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oh I guess I have two issues, it needs different sights. When i bought mine they only had white dot front sight and black rear. They are supposed to be shipping with 'halo' sights now and I might try and pick up a set.
View Quote

where did ya here about the halo sights shipping??
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I called kriss group and that's what the lady on the phone said a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I called kriss group and that's what the lady on the phone said a couple months ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sweet, yeah i called'em and got a catalogue.  pretty neat options comin' out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top