Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2015 2:30:53 PM EDT
I picked up a used CZ75B and finally got a chance to shoot it today. About every other magazine I was having failures, if I remember right it wouldn't fully return into battery. I was using brand new Mec Gar magazines (16, 17 and 19 rounders) that I loaded a couple days ago, so I doubt it's magazine related. It was cleaned and lubed so I'm thinking the first thing to try is a new recoil spring, correct?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you plunk tested the ammo and chamber?  After that a recoil spring is a good place to start.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean? I haven't heard of "plunk testing"
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It's more for checking head space issues but I've had some reloads that were too tight in some 9mm chambers and "plunked" in just fine in others.  It's easy to just confirm that the ammo you have fits in the chamber easy.
Pull the barrel out and hold it with the open chamber facing up.  Drop a live round into the open chamber and listen for it to plunk in.  You should be able to spin it around with your fingers tips but the round shouldn't wobble any.

This video shows exactly what I was talking about:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s80P2j02YnM

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's more for checking head space issues but I've had some reloads that were too tight in some 9mm chambers and "plunked" in just fine in others.  It's easy to just confirm that the ammo you have fits in the chamber easy.

Pull the barrel out and hold it with the open chamber facing up.  Drop a live round into the open chamber and listen for it to plunk in.  You should be able to spin it around with your fingers tips but the round shouldn't wobble any.

This video shows exactly what I was talking about:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s80P2j02YnM

View Quote

Gotcha, I've done that (with some sort of a sizing die) helping a friend reload 9mm before. I'll try dropping a round into the chamber of my G17, P226 and the CZ to compare
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Like this? If so its the recoil spring, zero issues since installing a 12 pound spring.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, almost exactly it. I'll try a recoil spring, thanks

ETA: swapped out recoil springs, the old one was about 1/3" shorter and felt a bit weaker. Hopefully a new one will do the trick. I'll hopefully take it out in two weeks and put a few mags through it to see if that fixed it.

Thanks again everyone
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a chance to shoot it today, I had 5 or 6 FTE's in 16 rounds (The point where I said screw it, something else is wrong)

Based on this thread (and the thread it links to) I probably need a new extractor spring (my extractor can be moved pretty easily by hand): https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=37&t=91257

I'm guessing the extra power spring is the way to go? Anything else I should swap out at the same time?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#8]

cgw doesn't seem to be really into the extra power springs. Have you tried to clean the extractor? I'd try removing the pin and the extractor and spring and see if anything's there. I had a ftf problem that I thought for sure was an old recoil spring, but when I had it apart I took the extractor out of the slide only to find carbon had built up that the extractor didn't have a full range of motion.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll give that a shot and try the spare extractor spring I have (not extra power) and see if that helps...
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I get FTEs on my TS when its extractor gets too dirty. Definitely worth pulling and cleaning it, and if you've got a fresh spring, throw it in there too.

What ammo are you using? (If handloads/reloads, what are the specs?)
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks a bit dirty so hopefully that'll do it. I was shooting CCI Blazer Brass, WWB and Magtech 115gr... Doubt it's the ammo
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It looks a bit dirty so hopefully that'll do it. I was shooting CCI Blazer Brass, WWB and Magtech 115gr... Doubt it's the ammo
View Quote

FWIW, WWB is actually pretty shitty in 9mm. It often has out-of-spec extractor grooves. The handful of FTEs I've had in a decade of shooting 9mm CZs have ALL been with WWB brass.

Blazer Brass is definitely GTG, and Magtech should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Would a good polishing of the ramp and chamber do anything here?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Since I'm now having ejection issues I doubt it
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

FWIW, WWB is actually pretty shitty in 9mm. It often has out-of-spec extractor grooves. The handful of FTEs I've had in a decade of shooting 9mm CZs have ALL been with WWB brass.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I reload and have seen those extractor groove dimentions and out of spec rims on Winchester 45, 9mm, 38 special and 32 acp.    The 45 was thin brass walls larger internal capacity.  The 9mm the extractor groove.  38  Special has a funky rim thickness and primers end up high when the press sets all other brands just right.  32 acp was just thin brass compared to every one else.  Now I have some Winchester nato 9mm military cases that are nice soft brass with great extractor grooves.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
FYI replacing the extractor and spring fixed the issues, put 100 rounds through it without issue after the swap.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Good news....glad you got it running right.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FYI replacing the extractor and spring fixed the issues, put 100 rounds through it without issue after the swap.
View Quote

It sounds like you bought a high-mileage well-enjoyed gun, and just needed some fresh springs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top