Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2015 9:13:47 PM EDT
So, I picked this up...

Not sure where to start, as I never installed anything past sights on a handgun, let alone short reset trigger kit, firing pins, etc..

I am confident in doing it, just need some assistance if anyone has any input.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Good topic OP, I wish I had more to offer. I have likewise thought of ordering parts to do up my cz75B SA. I eagerly await your updates. FYI Youtube seemed to have some decent detail strip tutorials.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
^^^ Yep, look up some youtube videos.  I did the same thing to my CZ-75BD Police.  Took me a few hours just because I kept replaying them over and over so I didn't mess anything up.  Plus the sear pack on the decockers can be a bear.  Use a slave pin when you remove it.  I'm not sure yours is the same though.

Firing pin and springs were easy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I did install the 15lb spring. That was obviously easy.

Went to the range to shoot it today. Shot great. No ftf's, or light primer strikes. I also took my 1994 CZ85B (which also has the CGW springs upgrade)

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
It is stupid easy.

Joe is an Arfcom member and did this tutorial, which shows the break down to get the hammer out. The firing pin is simple, pay attention to how the firing pin block comes out for the reinstall. The new firing pin retaining pin should have the space at the 12 o'clock position. The easiest way to get the firing pin lined up to drive the pin in is to reassemble the gun and carefully lower the hammer all the way. That will hold the extended firing pin in place. The hardest part of that whole kit is the damn Dawson sights. They are cut very precisely, so it's a tight fit. You should also grab a small flat head screw driver and cut a v in it for putting the decocker spring in place.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I also see you have the mag release. I fucked up my mag release retaining pin and ended up having to order a new set and drill the damn thing out.

You essentially push a detent pin and spring in through the magazine release, then pull out the retaining pin just behind the trigger at the top of the frame (inside).
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Which firing pin do I need to install? The extended one or the one that came with the SR trigger kit (it may be the same one included).

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Which firing pin do I need to install? The extended one or the one that came with the SR trigger kit (it may be the same one included).

Thanks for the help.
View Quote
The extended FP is the one that comes with the SRT kit. You can only use the 18lb or less main spring (hammer spring) with that FP, so make sure you label the original 20lb spring appropriately.

Not only is it a much stronger firing pin than stock, you need the extra length for reliability with the SRT that changes the timing of the FPB.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
OP I'm looking at the exact same parts for mine. I'd like to hear a review of the finished product.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I installed everything CGWs has to offer for the P-09, including the hammer and 13# hammer spring.  The pistol shoots so smooth. Just be carefill with the short rest until you get use to it. If you touch the trigger in SA it will go off without you being prepared. It has become my # 2 pistol after my 75BD which has all of the mods from CGW.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I installed everything CGWs has to offer for the P-09, including the hammer and 13# hammer spring.  The pistol shoots so smooth. Just be carefill with the short rest until you get use to it. If you touch the trigger in SA it will go off without you being prepared. It has become my # 2 pistol after my 75BD which has all of the mods from CGW.
View Quote

I have a CZ Custom Shops tuned Shadow SP01, and the reset and trigger pull is non existent, LOL. But awesome!!

I actually sold this FDE P09 for a P09 SR 5.2", so stay tuned. Still have the CGW parts.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a P09 SR too I think it will be a great gun.  I put all of the CGW parts in last night and the trigger is much nicer now.  The sear spring seems a little light compared to the stock one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just bought a P09 SR too I think it will be a great gun.  I put all of the CGW parts in last night and the trigger is much nicer now.  The sear spring seems a little light compared to the stock one.
View Quote

I have one of the first kits CGW produced.  Unless things have changed, the CGW sear spring is actually stiffer than the factory spring.  I use the factory spring in mine without problems, but it depends on the stack up of tolerances in the factory dimensions.  Some guns need the stronger spring.  What I would suggest is trying it the way you have it but be prepared for it to double, ie, only load a couple of rounds in the magazine.  Then 3 and try it again.  If it doubles, put the stronger sear spring in the gun.  

Joe
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have one of the first kits CGW produced.  Unless things have changed, the CGW sear spring is actually stiffer than the factory spring.  I use the factory spring in mine without problems, but it depends on the stack up of tolerances in the factory dimensions.  Some guns need the stronger spring.  What I would suggest is trying it the way you have it but be prepared for it to double, ie, only load a couple of rounds in the magazine.  Then 3 and try it again.  If it doubles, put the stronger sear spring in the gun.  

Joe
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe

Thanks for the info thats what I was planning on doing.  The reason that I say it is softer is it is stretched out more and seems like it compressed easier.  It is the one that came in the range and competition spring kit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#14]
If you put the one in from the kit, you will be fine, I think.  
The P-09 is about the most accurate production gun available in my opinion.
Joe
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

How hard is it to put the complete CGW in the P09 ? The most I've ever done was a detail strip on a Glock which even a chimp could do .
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#16]
the only advice I can offer is to not stand between your light source & what you are trying to take a picture of
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Well ok but what's that have to do with putting in the CGW parts ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Just a weak troll attempt.....and putting in the CGW parts is not hard at all. I am getting ready to do a video on a SP-01 with race hammer, short reset, springs, etc... basically whole package. There is one video on youtube that is in 3 parts lol and the guy is trying to use a ziplock bag and the worst camera action ever and its almost 1 1/2" long.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go check out the videos mentioned in the earlier posts.  Not difficult to put the CGW parts in the P-09 at all.
Joe
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How hard is it to put the complete CGW in the P09 ? The most I've ever done was a detail strip on a Glock which even a chimp could do .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put the short reset kit and a spring kit in my p09 today in under an hr. I've never worked on a pistol. Joes video posted above helped a lot. It was very easy. I couldn't find a video for the firing pin (short reset kit) but there are directions on cgw's site and they answer the phone every time you call

ETA: the 15# spring really brings the DA pull down to a reasonable weight and the short reset kit is great.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#21]
That's great!  Glad the video was useful.  Now, go shoot it a bunch.  I've got over 10k rounds through mine and it is still like new.
Joe
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Joe,
My DA pull is lighter but it's not a smooth consistent pull.  I pull up the slack and hit some resistance then it gets slightly easier before more resistance again then breaks after that. It's only really noticeable when I pull the trigger slowly. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#23]
So, I went ahead and Cajunized the P09 SR. Got it cerakoted in "Coyote Green", installed pretty much everything available for the P09 from CGW, minus sights. CZ Custom shop 25rd mag extension. 15lbs spring, new firing pin and spring, oversized roller, Short Reset Kit, Race Hammer. Did it myself following the video. Took me about 45min.

Next: Range time.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So, I went ahead and Cajunized the P09 SR. Got it cerakoted in "Coyote Green", installed pretty much everything available for the P09 from CGW, minus sights. CZ Custom shop 25rd mag extension. 15lbs spring, new firing pin and spring, oversized roller, Short Reset Kit, Race Hammer. Did it myself following the video. Took me about 45min.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/535/18069965463_74eb7d8761_b.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/340/18685850092_7af40d5406_b.jpg

Next: Range time.
View Quote

Looks great. Waiting for that range report.
If it shoots as good as it looks you'll have a winner.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#25]
How's it running bosniac?

I just ordered a P09 suppressor ready, gonna get all the same parts so any feedback is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How's it running bosniac?

I just ordered a P09 suppressor ready, gonna get all the same parts so any feedback is appreciated.
View Quote

I only put the short reset kit and the spring kit in mine and it made a huge difference. These guns are stupid accurate. The other day at the range, I hit a steel target 7 out of 10 times from 60 yards, while standing. This was the first time I shot past 25 yards with this pistol and I rarely try to shoot that distance with any pistol, so it's no small feat. The target was a chicken silhouette someone had brought out, probably 14" tall. I've tried this once before with a different pistol and hit it about 30% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I installed the complete CGW Pro Grade Kit on this 09...seriously could NOT ask for a better feeling/running gun.... And accuracy is just unbelievable with it. Blowing bull's eyes out at 10-15 yards just feels like cheating.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I pick my CGW pro package P09 tomorrow. I hope it shoots as well as everyone says.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Few observations after manipulation and dry drills with it most of the day:

1) this is a leviathan of a pistol, it's not a big feat to get 19rds in a mag with a grip this length, and compared to a Sig P series I'm not loving the ergos

2) it's heavy, heavier than any other polymer framed pistol I've felt and some alloy

3) the stock trigger is pretty damn good except for the single action breaking literally against the frame, hopefully the CGW trigger with overtravel stop will help that

4) the slide stop is just that, a stop, it's almost useless as a thumb release, a big deal for someone who's dropped his slide that way for over 30 years on 4 different
   pistol platforms, as I kept doing it more and more I started to get a little more comfortable doing it where my thumb is kind of mashing the decocker a little at the
   same time, still there is barely any shelf to get a purchase on which amplifies the problem, one of my mentors uses his support hand thumb to drop the slide as
   he inserts the mag, I agree it works but I really dont like dickin around with 3 decades of neuro muscular memory, and I never slingshot slides unless I'm clearing
   a malfunction, so thats something I'll have to address if I'm ever going to put this pistol into a work capacity.

5) I mostly bought it as a host to the surefire ryder 9 that I have coming, I'm sure for that it will excel, but for now I'm not smitten, maybe a few hundred rounds will change that
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Few observations after manipulation and dry drills with it most of the day:

1) this is a leviathan of a pistol, it's not a big feat to get 19rds in a mag with a grip this length, and compared to a Sig P series I'm not loving the ergos
I've literally never talked to anyone who didn't like the P series ergos...or any CZ for that matter. Ergonomics are one of the top things CZ's are known for.

2) it's heavy, heavier than any other polymer framed pistol I've felt and some alloy
That's one of the reasons why it's such a soft shooter as anyone who shoots one will say.

3) the stock trigger is pretty damn good except for the single action breaking literally against the frame, hopefully the CGW trigger with overtravel stop will help that
Only gonna get so much over travel out without replacing the hammer with a CGW hammer to go along with the over travel stop.

4) the slide stop is just that, a stop, it's almost useless as a thumb release, a big deal for someone who's dropped his slide that way for over 30 years on 4 different
   pistol platforms, as I kept doing it more and more I started to get a little more comfortable doing it where my thumb is kind of mashing the decocker a little at the
   same time, still there is barely any shelf to get a purchase on which amplifies the problem, one of my mentors uses his support hand thumb to drop the slide as
   he inserts the mag, I agree it works but I really dont like dickin around with 3 decades of neuro muscular memory, and I never slingshot slides unless I'm clearing
   a malfunction, so thats something I'll have to address if I'm ever going to put this pistol into a work capacity.
Works fine for me.

5) I mostly bought it as a host to the surefire ryder 9 that I have coming, I'm sure for that it will excel, but for now I'm not smitten, maybe a few hundred rounds will change that
Maybe this gun just isn't for you. But I sure as hell wouldn't trade mine for any other polymer framed gun out there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#31]
After a lot more dry reload drills I think I can overcome the slide release handicap, there seems to be a sweet spot.

I also think it's silly they stipple the front strap nice and grippy like a gen4 glock then do the backstrap in those
smooth spaced out horizontal lines, the front stippling would be great on the backstrap.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
After a lot more dry reload drills I think I can overcome the slide release handicap, there seems to be a sweet spot.

I also think it's silly they stipple the front strap nice and grippy like a gen4 glock then do the backstrap in those
smooth spaced out horizontal lines, the front stippling would be great on the backstrap.
View Quote

That's why I did this.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah thats a must, looks perfect.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks great.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Did you stipple the blackstrap yourself?

That is really my only niggle with my 07/09's.  The factory strap is slick as glass in my hands.

I put a traction grip on the 07, but have been thinking about trying to find someone to stipple the strap on my 09.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. We have a lot of customers who get us to stipple the front and back strap on the P series guns too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#37]
For my taste the front strap is a little too sharp and the backstrap is almost glass smooth, those lines do nothing.
I'm going to basically do the exact same thing, the stippling will match the sides on both front and backstrap giving
the right amount of grip without the cheese grater effect of the front strap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That is really my only niggle with my 07/09's.  The factory strap is slick as glass in my hands.

I put a traction grip on the 07, but have been thinking about trying to find someone to stipple the strap on my 09.
View Quote

I hate stippling guns, so I added grip tape from Home Depot o mine. Helps enough.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#39]
So I ran about 600rds of blazer aluminum thru her and, she's a keeper.

Next up is stippling the front and backstrap and the full CGW package, cant wait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top