Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2015 8:46:43 PM EDT
Hey Guys,
I don't post very often but I am looking for some owner input on the current P-07 model.  My wife has "taken" my G19 and I am looking for a replacement.  I am really looking at the VP 9 and the P-07 for my next purchase.  I understand the striker vs da/sa and I have just gravitated to those two.  I have a 85  so I am aware of CZ quality in that line but I won't be able to hold or fire a poly P-07.  I never really carried the G19 so I will say I need a fun range gun along with the usual nightstand, truck and camping gun.  I can get a pretty good price on the P-07 through work so that is a consideration as well and I don't mind sending it to CGW or paying to upgrade if needed.  With an upgraded P-07 I won't be in much deeper than the VP9.  

Thanks for the feedback.  I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it a lot. Incredible how accurate the gun is, it groups like a 1911.

It feels like a CZ, except for the grip width. You can't really make it diamond shape or oval by throwing new grips on it, but the whatever backstrap you pick still feels like a CZ. So if you like them with thin grips, you'd like the P07.

The stock gun has decent combat sights, and the SA trigger is pretty good. Good reset, acceptable pre-travel and break.

The DA trigger is nothing to write home about. It isn't terribly smooth and will stack pretty badly. That being said, out of the box I shot a 4 inch group at 15 yards with 10 DA rounds the first time I shot the gun. It weighed over 10lbs.

The pull will definitely smooth out over time, I took the trigger bar out and sanded it smooth and polished it, that helped immensely. I also bent the trigger bar spring down a bit to relieve some of the tension that was causing the DA trigger to stack. The trigger bar spring just keeps the trigger bar in place long enough to grab the disconnector, so taking a little tension off doesn't effect reliability. Dropping in some of the CGW springs makes a giant difference too. The 18lb hammer spring helps a lot, but the 15lb spring will knock the DA pull down to just about 8lbs.

The reduced power trigger return spring will knock around a 1/2lb off the DA pull as well. That with the 15lb hammer spring and bending the trigger bar spring down will make it feel like a new gun.

The CGW short reset kit is great, and the CGW hammer really cleans up the break on SA, but the gun is good without those, and better by just changing some springs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
For the money you can pick up a P-07 for you can't go wrong. Out of the box I was impressed with the accuracy and it "feels" really nice in the hand. I bought mine on a whim after handling it at the shop. Just felt right. 100% reliable and I'm in the 2000+ rounds fired and it's gotten very little cleaning or TLC. The mags are specific to the P-07 and are pricey, but mine has functioned just fine with CZ75 mags (wobble a little in the mag-well and just for range use not carry!) Also the P-09 mags fit so you could have 19+1 available. Your CZ85 will shoot a little softer and will most likely have a better trigger but a P-07 is sized right for carry like the G19 and you'll feel right at home with it after owning the 85. The nice thing with the Omega trigger is you don't have to send it away to a smith to fit parts. The end user can just order the parts from CGW and install. You'll find the trigger quite adequate out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I really want a P-07, but my Tristar C-100 keeps my happy.  Not sure if all P-07's now are the new version, but I still see the Duty listed which originally had a very sharp curve on the trigger.  My P-01 was the same and the way my trigger finger comes in at an angle it caused some discomfort after shooting a few mags, so I sold it.  The newest P-07 has a flatter trigger.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one for a bit but traded it. For me the safety is set a tad too far forward on the frame making you really reach for it. Otherwise a very fine pistol
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I carried a G19 for a few years as an off duty gun.  I got a deal on a P07 about six months ago and shot it better than the Glock so I switched.  I had a VP9 and got rid of it since I'm already invested in the M&P.  I'm in Herndon.  If your close you are welcome to shoot mine P07 to try it out.  David
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]
My P07 (.40 S&W) impressed me so much that my M&Ps and Glock and one XDM are now living in my safe.

The P07, was followed by a 9MM P09, which so far also has outstanding accuracy compared to my other plastic guns.

That 9MM P09 was just followed by a .40 S&W P09 that I'm hoping to get to shoot this weekend.  We'll see if it likes the same loads the P07 shoots so well.

I'm probably done now, with 3 of them.  I think.

Great guns, reliable and accurate.  At least mine are.

Magazines are expensive.

Parts availability is head and shoulders about the Glock, XDM and M&Ps.  Check out CZ USA, CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works.  You won't believe how easy it is to get anything you need (but the plastic frame) for a P07 or P09.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I've owned;

P07
SP01
VP9
P30
Glock 31, 19, 23
XD Subcompact
XDS
Tanfoglio

and so on. And the CZ pattern guns are by FAR the best shooting and handling guns I've ever owned. The P07 is amazing, lighting fast to shoot and incredibly accurate. Do not hesitate to buy one, especially the newer style with the nicer finish
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have five CZ's. The PO7 is a very accurate pistol. At the old age of 75 if I could see the sights and not have the shakes I would have but all the shot together :-)
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys!  I really appreciate the time you guys have given.  I wasn't aware of the some of the things such as mag price and safety placement.  Think would leave the de-cocker as I'm sure I would have reach issue as well.  I am glad to see so many compliments about accuracy, reliability and having a decent trigger.  I checked and they are in stock so I am planning to order on Monday.

Guess my next post will be about how to upgrade some parts and springs in a few months!

Thanks everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top