BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2015 6:35:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]
CGW pro kit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My P09 9MM seemed to like light bullets.

First trip to the range I shot 115, 124, and 147 grain bullets of different styles/brands and some were reloads.

My best groups were with the Georgia Arms 115 grain HPs.

After 3 shots (got shook up and had to start forcing the rest of them, the group suffered.)  Range was 8.5 yds. I think, some one was on the 12 yd. targets.

After 10 shots

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's mine. This target was 2 19rd mags slow fire. The flyers are all me and definitely not the gun.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread is not helping my P09 lust.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll be getting a FDE P09 and threaded barrel very soon.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know about you but I find it easier to aim at a smaller distinct target.  Nothing wrong with a paper plate for a target, but put something about an inch in diameter (black marker, black paint, something) that helps you align the front sight post in the same spot on the target every time.

That's if you want to shoot smaller groups to really see what you and the pistol/ammo can do.

I found my P07 .40 S&W likes lighter bullets, too.  I get my best groups with the 135 grain Nosler HPs.  Might just be I lucked into some good loads for those bullets as I didn't have a lot of variety for the .40 S&W, I usually don't own/shoot that caliber.  For the 9MM P09 I had a little of everything, 115, 124 and 147 grain, FMJ, hollow points and lead and the 115's gave me the best groups.

Check out the CZ USA, CZ Custom and Cajun Gunworks websites for spare parts, custom parts and magazines.  Sometimes CZ USA will have a three magazine package deal for about $109 that beats the normal $43 each price.

Spare parts availability (vs. XDM and M&P, and maybe even Glock) is just unbelievable.  You can go to the CZ USA site and order any spring, pin, etc. you want, even the metal rails that pin into the polymer frame.  I had a hell of a time ordering spares for the M&Ps, this spring from one company, another spring from another company, etc., etc.  CZ will well you CZ parts, you don't have to ship it back to them if you want to buy and replace parts yourself.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got one of these as well to compliment my SP01 and P01. Haven't shot it yet, but it will be getting some cajun stuff to help put the trigger.

Beautiful gun
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm thinking about ordering a P09 after I get settled into the new house.  Probably get the suppressor ready model... which may prompt me to get can to put on the end of it!  

Looks like a nice gun. I like CZs and wish I hadn't sold my 75B a few years ago. Reliable. As. Fuck. I'd drool for an SP-01... but I'm gravitating to the P-09.  I want something with a good capacity and a light rail so that I can use it as my nightstand gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the write up. I've got one on the radar next payday. Try it with lighter bullets.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#12]
You guys are going to love your P-09's.  They are absolutely the most accurate 9mm pistol I've shot, including some 5" custom guns.  There are a few videos at 100 and 200 yards here.

http://www.youtube.com/joemustang99

I am at about 10k rounds through one, 2k through a second one set up with different sights.

Joe
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Just picked mine up yesterday, took the decocker off and put the safety on. Its a big gun, won't even fit in my Glock 21 holster, but it feels great looking forward to putting a ton of rounds though it. CZ Kills me with their mag prices, $140 for three extra mags ERR!
So, I'm looking for a holster nothing fancy OWB, just a range gun. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:54:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:24:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kydex or leather?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just picked mine up yesterday, took the decocker off and put the safety on. Its a big gun, won't even fit in my Glock 21 holster, but it feels great looking forward to putting a ton of rounds though it. CZ Kills me with their mag prices, $140 for three extra mags ERR!
So, I'm looking for a holster nothing fancy OWB, just a range gun. Any ideas?

Kydex or leather?

Either or, but Kydex would be preferred for range training.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You guys are going to love your P-09's.  They are absolutely the most accurate 9mm pistol I've shot, including some 5" custom guns.  There are a few videos at 100 and 200 yards here.

I am at about 10k rounds through one, 2k through a second one set up with different sights.

Joe
View Quote

The P09 has only been out for what, a year now, and you have already run $3000+ worth of ammo through it?

I honestly think people overestimate how much they shoot. I couldn't afford that habit even though I make enough money to easily buy 1-2k rounds a month.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The P09 has only been out for what, a year now, and you have already run $3000+ worth of ammo through it?

I honestly think people overestimate how much they shoot. I couldn't afford that habit even though I make enough money to easily buy 1-2k rounds a month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe

Don't be so quick to talk shit about people you don't know. Joe is legit and if he says he has ran 10K through a gun - he has.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Joe

100 rounds a week plus one 200 round competition every other month is ~6500 rounds.

That's like 2.5 to 3 lbs of powder ($70), 6.5k bullets & primers ($500 + $200),  then whatever your cost for brass is. Say you have 2k pieces of brass, that's like $75 if you buy some once fired.

Sure the press, dies and brass cleaner factor into the initial cost. However, once you're rolling your own, around $.10-$.13 a round is easy. In my example, I have 6500 rounds for just under $900. 10k is $1300.

I easily shot just 500 last week for one IDPA practice and shooting the indoor nationals, and that's IDPA.

Some folks are doing two USPSA competitions every month. That's probably 10k without even including practice.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

so i bought a pistol last weekend, and it has the same marks under the slide as yours does... parallel to the fireing pin

is this new out of box pictures, or after x amount of rounds?    
View Quote
You want that to happen. That's the action parts getting matched up to each other. All guns get that look, it's a good thing as long as it's smooth.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't be so quick to talk shit about people you don't know. Joe is legit and if he says he has ran 10K through a gun - he has.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe

Your threshold for "talking shit" and mine are apparently very different. Sure, I don't know the dude, but I can still be skeptical that someone already has 10,000 rounds through a handgun that hasn't existed in the US for all that long.

As I mentioned, I could easily afford to shoot that much if I really wanted to. I just have other interests and other demands on my time. I don't take my post, nor did I intend it to be "talking shit". I remain skeptical of most people's "round counts" regardless.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Matthew_Q--I have had my first P-09 since October 2013.  Perhaps you assumed I had not had it that long.   Round count as of Nov 2014 was 8805.  I am just guessing it has 10k rounds through it by now over a 16 month period.  That's only 150 rounds/wk.  I have every bullseye target and a detailed log of every round fired through that gun.

I also have a Kadet that has 31k rounds through it, but I've had it for a few more years.  You can be skeptical of that one also if you want.  It is my bullseye match rimfire pistol for 2015 after shooting a Ruger 22/45 for most of 2014.  

I am using a CZ-97 for bullseye in 2015.  I've only had it for a seven weeks and the weather was bad some of those weeks.  It has 970 rounds through it so far.   Not 900, not about a 1k, 970.  I will shoot it less than the 9mm, maybe only 5k rounds for the year.  That is roughly two 60 round practice sessions/wk when I can make it plus some matches.  I shot the 9mm a bunch more since I was doing a lot of parts and ammo testing.  

So go shoot your pistols, have a good time, get better, and, when in doubt, shoot more, not less.  And, keep a detailed shooting log so that you can see trends in your shooting results, parts failures (if there are any!), barrel wear, spring replacement, and can answer any questions posed on the internet forums about how your stuff is doing.  

I keep trying to wear out the Kadet, with no luck...

Joe

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Off to go watch YouTube vids about the P09. I've persoanlly been kind of turned off by the polymer CZ pistols. No real reason as to why.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Matthew_Q--I have had my first P-09 since October 2013.  Perhaps you assumed I had not had it that long.   Round count as of Nov 2014 was 8805.  I am just guessing it has 10k rounds through it by now over a 16 month period.  That's only 150 rounds/wk.  I have every bullseye target and a detailed log of every round fired through that gun.

I also have a Kadet that has 31k rounds through it, but I've had it for a few more years.  You can be skeptical of that one also if you want.  It is my bullseye match rimfire pistol for 2015 after shooting a Ruger 22/45 for most of 2014.  

I am using a CZ-97 for bullseye in 2015.  I've only had it for a seven weeks and the weather was bad some of those weeks.  It has 970 rounds through it so far.   Not 900, not about a 1k, 970.  I will shoot it less than the 9mm, maybe only 5k rounds for the year.  That is roughly two 60 round practice sessions/wk when I can make it plus some matches.  I shot the 9mm a bunch more since I was doing a lot of parts and ammo testing.  

So go shoot your pistols, have a good time, get better, and, when in doubt, shoot more, not less.  And, keep a detailed shooting log so that you can see trends in your shooting results, parts failures (if there are any!), barrel wear, spring replacement, and can answer any questions posed on the internet forums about how your stuff is doing.  

I keep trying to wear out the Kadet, with no luck...

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Pistol-Range-12-6-14-100-yards/i-q4fksFc/0/M/PC063283-M.jpg

Joe

View Quote

Cool Joe, I didn't mean to be an ass... I'm more used to General Discussion, where all kinds of stuff gets thrown out!  

It is nice to hear, though, that someone does have a high round count through a relatively new pistol, and that it is still performing well! I'm in the "definitely going to get" category with the P-09. Probably have to wait a little bit since I just bought a new house and have to recover a bit financially.

Does the Kadet kit work on the P-09 frame, or is yours the whole pistol? I would think the magazines wouldn't seat properly in the P09 frame if you're using the conversion. Back when I had a 75B, I wanted to get a Kadet conversion. If it would work with the P-09, I'd definitely want one. I'm going to get the suppressor ready P-09, and would want to get the Kadet set up to suppress. I remember finding a guy that modifies them for suppression.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Matthew_Q--Thanks for the note.  As Maynard responded, the Kadet won't fit on the P-09, unfortunately.  

I have gone back and forth on the P-09 versus CZ-75 style guns.  I got the P-09 thinking there is no way I'm going to like a plastic gun.  I've shot Glocks and the grip angle always bothered me.  I've also shot XDm's and other "plastic" guns.  But, I like hammer fired guns, coming from SIG's to CZ, so I thought I would just try a P-09, which I acquired from a friend who shot 50 rounds through it and said it had to go, he couldn't stand the plastic gun.  

My mind was changed with the first 50 rounds.  I shot the gun very well right out of the box.  The low bore axis, grip angle, trigger feel all matched up with what I can shoot well.  So I put the large backstrap on it and waited for CGW to finish up with their aftermarket parts for the P-07/09.  Mean time, I kept shooting it, and put the SIG's and the 75B 9mm slide back in the safe.  I couldn't believe I could shoot the plastic gun this well.  When I put the CGW parts in it, modified the grips and sights, it was a phenomenal shooting gun and fit me well.  I shot it in bullseye matches and actually won centerfire a few times, much to the consternation of my buddies shooting custom 1911's.  

Bottom line is that the gun is excellent out of the box, and really, really good with aftermarket parts.  I have been converted from an all steel fan-boy to a CZ-polymer is really good fan-boy.  

But I have now decided to try a CZ in .45, for the bigger holes, and I had to go to a 97 for that.  

Its all good.

This is fun.  

Joe
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Got the tax refund pretty damn quick... so I ordered my P-09 Suppressor Ready this morning. $523 to my FFL, which should then be a $25 transfer.

I don't have a can yet, but I do have a trust... that's not completely set up. I need to get all the shit notarized. Then I can find a can and get that in the works.

I'm looking forward to it. Been too long since I've had a CZ in my hands. It'll be my nightstand / IDPA gun (if I can ever get to an IDPA match... my work schedule usually precludes getting to matches).

Lucky thing is I now live <2 miles from an indoor range. I'll be able to swing over and run a couple boxes through it very soon!  I'm excited!
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The P-09 is an awesome sidearm. I don't have near the round count through mine, GUESSING about 2000 of my cast lead hand loads, but it is a wonderfully accurate easy shooting pistol. It is also my authorized off duty sidearm.

These two are before Cajun Gun Works worked on it. High Noon Holsters Bison hide Slide Guard.

It fit me great from the beginning, and since CGW worked it over, it fits even better, with an incredible trigger!

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#31]
My standard P-09 will barely shoot.  I bet the FDE version is better!  Here is a video from last Sunday.  This is the P-09 that has 10k rounds through it and was my 2014 bullseye gun.

https://youtu.be/2BHVHFcHuSg
Joe
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Picked up my black P09 yesterday morning. I really like it! The grip is nice and slender feeling, even if the slide is pretty damn beefy. It's also pretty light for it's size. Points well for me and fits my hand very well. I ordered 3 more magazines yesterday.

I did swap the decocker out for the safety, and quickly found out the safety that came in the box was missing the little spring loaded detent... so it won't click and stay on SAFE or on FIRE. :( I'll have to get a replacement. I also tried the big and medium backstraps. I like the medium the best. I did also succeed in shooting the mainspring across the house in the process!!

The trigger pull is a nice and light, but it's kinda mushy. The reset is a bit long. Hopefully some CGW parts will fix that right up. I'll probably wait a little bit to get them. I'm going to probably start the process of getting a suppressor soon, since I got the suppressor ready model. I did notice that the barrel is rifled all the way up to the end of the threads... so that gives the suppressor-ready barrel about another 1/2 inch to get some oomph behind lead!  

I do almost wish I got an SP01, because damn the SP01 is a sexy pistol.. but I'm not disappointed with my P09. I think I'm really going to love it!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Off to go watch YouTube vids about the P09. I've persoanlly been kind of turned off by the polymer CZ pistols. No real reason as to why.
View Quote

I've had two P07s, one in 40 and one in 9 and they are amazing pistols.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the great reviews guys just ordered a P-09 today but in .40 s&w. Big CZ fanboy with CZ 75's and a      P-07. Been lusting after the full size.  I would of gotten a 9mm but silly Colorado gun laws say you can only buy 15 round mags.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:21:32 AM EDT
[#35]
A FDE P-09 will be my next handgun purchase no doubt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top