Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2015 4:54:44 PM EDT
Once upon a time I bought my very first handgun. A gorgeous polycoat CZ-75BD that shot like a typewriter and felt like my own flesh turned deadly weapon.

My wife couldn't reach the DA trigger so off to the auction block it went, never to be seen again. I've missed it ever since.

Well wife's gone. Well not gone-gone but if she's pulling the triggers on any of my guns I have bigger problems than whether or not she can comfortably operate the controls.

ANYWAY

I saw this on gunbroker from CDI:

And I couldn't have clicked "buy it now" any faster. Got it home, and it looks great:

Marked "95" by the proof mark, I assume that means 1995 year of manufacture. "Transitional" means post-B frame, and post-b slide serrations, but no firing pin block. Shoots well, very little wear on the frame rails or the locking lugs, but lots of holster and handling wear. So last night I did a field strip, dropped it in the ultrasonic, watched the purple turn black with 20 years of dirt and stank.

So tonight, I'm going to attempt the full detail strip. I ordered the Caswell electroless nickel kit, so depending on when it arrives, I'm going to bead blast, do the e-nickel, and at least replace all the springs. A pair of wood grips and a nice leather holster, and BAM, instant bbq gun.

Suggestions for upgrades "while I'm in there"? feedback? comments? insults?

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
So tagged. If this turns out, I hate you for costing me money I keep telling myself to save up for a new duck gun, but it just ain't gonna happen now
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
beautiful pistol, I would park it myself, but then again I have always thought Nickeling or chroming a pistol was a crime
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Could probably have the whole gun cerakoted back to black for $120 or so.

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, probably. That's the backup plan.

I thought about parkerizing, I've done that before, but I do like the way the electroless nickel looks, that dark silver (not like a bright nickel plate) and it's more corrosion resistant than Park.

I think I am also going to do a tritium front sight, but leave the rear sight as-is.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If this turns out, I hate you for costing me money
View Quote
When my Merchant Of Death handled the pistol the day it came in, he was like "Rex...HOW much do you have in this gun?"

And I told him, and he was like "Holy shit dude. Do they have any more?" I have almost more in the caswell kit and ultrasonic than I do in the gun...

But this isn't about saving money. It's about taking something unloved and cast away and making it better than it ever was.

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
clean, repark, blue, holster, range.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When my Merchant Of Death handled the pistol the day it came in, he was like "Rex...HOW much do you have in this gun?"  

And I told him, and he was like "Holy shit dude. Do they have any more?" I have almost more in the caswell kit and ultrasonic than I do in the gun...

But this isn't about saving money. It's about taking something unloved and cast away and making it better than it ever was.

http://unitedgraphicdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/cowmega_metaphor.gif

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If this turns out, I hate you for costing me money

http://unitedgraphicdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/cowmega_metaphor.gif

Nope, screw that. I'm making this about me

ETA on delivery of kit?

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nope, screw that. I'm making this about me

ETA on delivery of kit?

View Quote
Caswell kit should be here next week. I didn't get to disassemble last night, will probably do that tonight.

Also going to order new springs, a new trigger pin from CZ custom, and maybe see exactly what fitting is required for that nifty target hammer. No real rush on getting those parts, there's a not-zero chance I'll have to do the e-nickel twice.

In regards to the front sight, while I agree a gold bead (or brass) would be dope as hell, tritium would be super useful if I ever (God forbid) had to use it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#10]
IN!

Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#11]
       Ok dudes, ran into my first hiccup.

How the hell do you get this slide stop spring & pin out?

Turns out, you just punch it, and comes right out. Baller.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
All apart:

Broke the mag brake thingie, it was rusted to the, uh, hammer strut stop?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't forgotten about you guys. Gonna strip and coat next weekend, sorry life gets in the way, you know?

Anyway, let's talk about barrel bushing.

So I pulled the front end apart, knocked the bushing out, and now I'm wondering if I should replace the old bushing (and try very carefully to line up the rollpin channel) or just machine a new one? CZ doesn't sell one apart from a slide (lol) but it looks pretty straightforward.

It's got like a little "ramp" at the bottom but it looks like that's more wear from the barrel than the way it came from the factory. Can anyone confirm this? If I just need to chuck some steel into the lathe, I could probably pull that off, but if I have to replicate this "barrel ramp" well, I may just put the old one back in.

Also opinions:

New hammer & adjustable sear or don't bother and put old one back?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#15]
bump this thing

looking forward to seeing the nickle plating.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

bump this thing

looking forward to seeing the nickle plating.  
View Quote
yeah sorry, I haven't forgotten! I ran a little low on fundage planning a short holiday, and I wanted all my ducks in a row before I really dug in...

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The race hammer and adjustable sear make a significant different in trigger pull. You should be close to 3.5 lbs or so with CGW parts.
View Quote

True, but they won't make a huge difference in trigger pull weight. I bought one of the CDI pre B transitional CZ75, and put a CGW reduced power trigger return spring, 13 lb hammer spring, and an 11 lb recoil spring with some polishing of the stock parts and my SA is now 3.2 lbs (DA 7.5). The hammer and sear are well worth it for everything they do, but I wouldn't expect a big weight drop by only doing those. Now those combined with some springs and an extended firing pin would be a competition worthy trigger.

On my preB I am going crazy and have some more parts on order from CGW and CZC and plan to go SAO.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I would do, if the original finish bothered me, which the OP's pistol doesn't.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll be watching this
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice project.  I've been looking at some of the trade-in 75's and 85's, but still haven't brought one home yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, Updates?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Having a little difficulty getting it blasted to my satisfaction. The slide went ok, but there's some stubborn bits on the frame.

I'll try and get some pictures this weekend. :)
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Any progress?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Any progress?
View Quote
Yeah, my sandblaster did a pretty poor job, found a bunch of spots that it didn't get. I am going to purchase a desktop blast cabinet, updates next week...

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome.  Look forward to the "rest of the story" (as Paul Harvey used to put it).

TIA.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Awesome.  Look forward to the "rest of the story" (as Paul Harvey used to put it).

TIA.
View Quote
Blasting cabinet purchased, thinking saturday to blast and do the slide and frame.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#27]
What cabinet did you go with?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
I found one of these on Craigslist for 50 bucks.

I lol'd when I hooked up the shop vac and the gloves "expanded" in the cabinet. Seal's good, I guess! But all these small cabinets are made by the same little kids in china.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can get a better blast having the piece closer to my face without constantly flinching/having the wind blow sand in my eyes/getting all hot and sweaty from a mask.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I lol'd when I hooked up the shop vac and the gloves "expanded" in the cabinet. Seal's good, I guess! But all these small cabinets are made by the same little kids in china.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can get a better blast having the piece closer to my face without constantly flinching/having the wind blow sand in my eyes/getting all hot and sweaty from a mask.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice score...

I am looking forward to seeing the final pics.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#30]
2 year molars ruin everything.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Boooooooooo

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I got a week off for thanksgiving, you guys prepare for a pooooost.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#33]
nice!
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:57:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Patiently, I have been waiting.  I'm looking forward to this
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Patiently, I have been waiting.  I'm looking forward to this
View Quote

updates???
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#36]
There is a 75B in the EE that I have been thinking about the same thing, or debating a new one.

I was thinking Cerakote with some burnt bronze.

Subbed for updates
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top